Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G4
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Gee Bee R2

Hi folks.

Does anyone have any experience with the Great Planes Gee Bee R2? I want to purchase the model and have become proficient in flying both the RF version and a modified version in which I upped the weight of the model to more closely mimic the 38oz/ft. sq. wing loading of the real thing.
The videos linked on the Tower Hobbies website for this airplane show a GB R2 whose flight characteristics belie the accuracy of the physics of the RF version. Especially the slow flight regime. Either that or the pilot in the video is wary of slowing the airplane down for landing or knows he'd better not!
If anyone has any imput regarding this model and how it compares with the RF simulation I would appreciate very much hearing from you.
I've searched the forum and there doesn't seem to be any discussion on this topic.

Thanks.

Jules
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 AM

RF does pretty well with the high wing loading planes in terms of realisticality (is that a word)

i think it would be very similar
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 AM

I'da gone with 'realism.'
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Having modeled many aircraft for RealFlight, I would not trust the calculated wing loading value, unless you know exactly how the value was calculated for both RealFlight and for wherever you found the value for the model you are talking about. For example were tail feathers or fuselage lift taken into account and was the measurement made wet or dry?

I have yet to find a published value for a model's wing loading exactly match what RF calculates. Some are close, but never right on.

On the other hand, RF is extremely accurate in it's simulation. Just match the total aircraft weight and scale and don't focus on what it says the wing loading is.

Doug

Last edited by dhk79; 08-17-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 AM

The real GeeBee is a REAL handful to land.

Most pilots do a lot of damage to their RC GeeBee's learning how to get it down.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 AM

I scratch built a Gee Bee R2. I don't think RF does a very good with the flight dynamics on this bird. Way too easy to land in the sim. The aircraft has a short body
coupling which makes it easy to ground loop. A buddy of mine has a gee bee too. Same difficulty landing his too.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 AM

OP,

You need to get a hold of the SKS Crasher videos.... the original video shows some great Gee Bee demolition shots. The (1/4-1/3 scale) plane is one bouncing momma on landing. It was totally destroyed later in the video.... I have a friend with a later model Gee Bee that is really a handful landing. He does not fly it often and we usually video the landings for crasher footage.

A lot of guys were killed at the Reno air races flying full size Gee Bees. Not many planes survive to exist in museums. One museum even built one from scratch for their display.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: