Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Convair XFY-1 Pogo

Rcwarbirds.com presents our first custom aircraft for Realflight G3, the Convair XFY-1 Pogo. This model represents a test aircraft of the US Airforce. The real Pogo flew many test flights and made many successful vertical take off and landings but was thought not practical for production. This model attempts to duplicate the flying characteristics of the real plane and will take off and land vertically. It will hover like a helicopter and fly like a jet. The real Pogo was powered by a Turbo Prop engine and had counter rotating props as does our model.

Beautiful 3d model designed and built by David Zurawski. Perfect conversion to Realflight G3 and texture mapping by inkyOO and excellent and very difficult flight/physics model by opjose.

Convair XFY-1 Pogo

Pogo in hover

Pogo in flight

Make sure your Realflight controller has throttle trim on high (up)! Download file and import using G3 import feature.
Attached Files
File Type: g3x Convair XFY-1 Pogo.g3x (755.0 KB, 601 views)
File Type: recording Pogo.recording (255.4 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Teisco; 04-03-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:49 PM

And they said it couldn't be done!

Attached is a recording showing takeoff and landing.

Listen to the engine sound for a hint on how to land this bird.
Attached Files
File Type: recording Opjose_Convair XFY-1 Pogo.recording (371.3 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by opjose; 04-03-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:04 PM

Super. Thanks!

Awesome model. Looks to be extremely challenging flight model as advertised. I can take off and transition to forward flight. I've also taken off and landed vertically without transition to forward flight. What a blast!

Awesome job.

Would love to see a video (or explanation) on how to transition from fwd flt to vertical and landing.

Last edited by Lobo; 04-03-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 PM

Absolutely incredible, gentlemen! Bravo! I couldn't wait for the fans to stop for this shot!

(1280X1024)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XYF-1.jpg (258.9 KB, 65 views)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike

Click on sub albums at right sidebar.

Last edited by r1derbike; 04-04-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:20 PM

Hi
Great Work!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You Very Much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d
Old 04-04-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
Would love to see a video (or explanation) on how to transition from fwd flt to vertical and landing.

Load the model and the above recording.

I show how to perform a landing in it, inside the soccer field!

Note the engine sound. This will give you an idea of what you have to do to get it to land. Pay attention to the timing.

Once you get it, landings become easier.

You'll find it flies just like the real thing...

Takeoff

Landing

Last edited by opjose; 04-04-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:48 AM

Thumbs up

Sweet! You guys rock! Keep it up! More military stuff!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 AM

An observation, only because I watched the props "spin-down" carefully. Looking down on the nose from above, the top prop spins counterclockwise, with positive incidence, and leading edge correct.

The bottom prop spins clockwise, with negative incidence, and its trailing edge is actually the leading edge, and the leading edge is the trailing edge, "bucking" the top prop.

I know finding/making the opposite "twin" to the top prop might be daunting, and I don't mean to tarnish the great works of everyone involved...I'm actually a bit disgusted with myself for even noticing it in the first place!

Still flys great! I like it!

Edit: Who wants to make the Russian (Tu-95 Bear) bomber that had 4 engines with contrarotating props (ducking-n-running...)?

Charles

http://photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike

Click on sub albums at right sidebar.

Last edited by r1derbike; 04-04-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:10 AM

Great fun, keep up the good work!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:41 AM

Thanks for trying out this model. We had a great team working on this plane and it was no easy task to make it look and fly as good as it does.

David Zurawski is an acomplished 3d modeler that has produced planes for several commercial flight sims. His true to scale detailed model is what prompted this difficult project and got it off the ground.

Converting a 3d model for this sim is a daunting task and inkyOO not only did the conversion but re-mapped the textures and added a few things bringing David's beautiful model to our sim.

The unusual flight model was really interesting and difficult but opjose wanted this to fly like the real thing and turned out a winning combination giving us a perfect flying replica of the real Pogo.

I know that I and the other members of this team are very pleased with your enthusiastic response to our Convair Pogo and look forward to bringing you more G3 rcwarbirds in the future.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

Cool Pogo, I havent been able to land it yet
Old 04-04-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike

The bottom prop spins clockwise, with negative incidence, and its trailing edge is actually the leading edge, and the leading edge is the trailing edge, "bucking" the top prop.

Charles
That is a limitation of G3.

G3 itself puts the visual prop into place and it is currently lacking a reversed pitch prop.

The only way there might be to change this (I'm going to have to play with this) is to reverse the lower prop's virtual "turbine", and then make it a pusher.

Fortunately it is logically on a pod, so this is doable.

I'll have a go at fixing it when I get a chance.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:40 AM

Yes it is a challenge to land this plane. The real one was a handful plus as the test pilot had to look hard over his shoulder the whole time to orientate the plane with the horizon and surroundings. It was like balancing a marble on a balloon while rollor skating

This model was configured to be a bit easier than that but it still will require some practice. I am not good a hovering and in fact cannot hover a model but I have landed this one several times.

You have to come in slow and swoop hard up to get that nose up. Once the nose is up you must juggle the throttle to keep the nose up while decending. If you use to little throttle the nose will fall and so will you, to much throttle and you will continue to go up. Just let the plane settle and use small control movements to keep it straight.

When close to the ground make sure you are straight and let it set down. It can be done and if I can do it anyone can.

Here is an excellent chat with the real test pilot on landing this plane
http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/A...6/ON/tsit.html

One thing that helps, do not use zoom, keep the ground in view so you have a reference.

The first landing with this will have you patting yourself on the back and ready for another.

Last edited by Teisco; 04-04-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 AM

I am sure that the backward prop is a visual thing only. If it really was fighting the other prop this plane would not have any or little forward movement.

Just enjoy the plane as it is.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco
I am sure that the backward prop is a visual thing only. If it really was fighting the other prop this plane would not have any or little forward movement.

Just enjoy the plane as it is.
It is, and it might be somewhat correctible in the physics editor.

I'll give it a shot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: