Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM

P-51 PTS Trainer variants.

The Droops are modeled in this physics variant, and they have a rather dramatic effect on the plane.

The controls now correspond to the actual PTS radio... e.g. flaps on upper right hand switch, etc.

You MUST use/install the Reno Racer Model (P-51 Reno Racer) posted on the other threads or the top post AV located in this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: g3x P-51 PTS w Droops_AV.G3X (27.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: g3x P-51 PTS Droops Removed_AV.G3X (27.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: g3x P-51 PTS NoDroops 11x5x2 Prop_AV.G3X (27.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: g3x P-51 PTS w Droops 11x5x2 Prop_AV.G3X (27.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-27-2006, 03:42 PM

In case anyone is interested...

I soloed the PTS today.

Observations, the real thing -IS- very "floaty".

I tried to stall it out with full flaps down and full up elevator. It was impossible. The plane merely began a GENTLE decent. With a headwind it didn't want to come down with the engine at full idle.

The guy who helped me finalize the PTS at the RC field (great group of guys there...) had me rip out the three blade prop for the 11x6 APC prop.

After that it had impressive power, no stalls and no bad tendancies.

The most experienced fliers who took a spin kept saying...

"that is one sweet warbird..."
"what a great plane"

Bottom line, I was told that the model was too floaty. It is not, it is not "floaty" enough.

I will be adjusting the posts to reflect the changes...

e.g.

CG needs to go back still more
Engine produces more power. Yeah the PTS does fine.
The real plane has better air penetration, but tends to be buffeted sideways a bit more than the above.
Stall speed & wing loading should be LOWER!
A bit more response on the ailerons.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:20 PM

Ok, this thing behaves EXACTLY like what I experienced today.

Remember to overwrite when prompted.

Also for the best experience, turn up the throttle trim fully once you are ready for takeoff. Fly with the slightly higher idle speed this produces.

This mimics the PTS's handling.
Attached Files
File Type: g3x P-51 PTS_FINE_EA.G3X (2.29 MB, 75 views)
Old 05-27-2006, 10:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to WingsWest328
Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 11:23 PM

Op:

This thing is extremely easy to fly! Trainer easy, in fact (guess that is why they call it a trainer!).

I'm thinking this could be used as a real trainer aircraft, as it is so docile and forgiving!

Is that assessment even close? Or have I become jaded with overpowered, twitchy airplanes?

Charles

http://photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike

Click on sub albums at right sidebar.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike
Op:

This thing is extremely easy to fly! Trainer easy, in fact (guess that is why they call it a trainer!).

I'm thinking this could be used as a real trainer aircraft, as it is so docile and forgiving!

Is that assessment even close? Or have I become jaded with overpowered, twitchy airplanes?

Charles
Nope right on the money.

The guys and mostly the instructors at the field where itching to try it out when they saw this, and I obliged.

It is amazingly docile. I TRIED to stall it out in level flight and could not. When it started to decend in the "stall" it was so slow at coming down that it behaved like one of the foamies in G3.

One of the instructors commented on how you could walk faster than the PTS P-51, and how it's stall characteristics made if perfect for newbies....

e.g. if you don't have to worry about it falling out of the sky at low throttle, you end up far more confident during REALLY slow approaches.

With a 12 mph headwind the thing was practically hovering to a landing.

It does have several "out of the box" problems that must be fixed, but these are fairly easy to take care of once you know what to do... the list is short.

But for an all in one RTF package, or even as a ARF, as it is now available, it's one sweet way to get into planes that don't LOOK like trainers.

BTW: I was purposely looking for all of it's quirks or flight characteristics, so I could run back and adjust the G3 model before I lost the actual "feel" of the plane.

It's all there in the last model I posted.... the bounce tendancy, the roll and left yaw on takeoff, the failure to stall at slow speeds, the flaps down slight ballooning, airspeed in level flight, engine acceleration in dives, inverted flight nose down tendancies, etc.

I was systematically looking for all of these and everyone thought that I merely wanted to fully explore the plane's flight envelopes.

IMHO I don't think you can get any closer than what I just posted.

Out of box problems/Fixes:

- Firewall needs fuelproofing (50% epoxy w/50% alcohol mix does the job)
- Fuselage sides need slight re-inforcement, easy to do.
- Removal of three blade PTS prop for 11x6 2 blade APC prop and spinner.
- Slow idle limiter must be loosened and slow idle turned in 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
- Fast throttle mixture must be adjusted and then "fixed" (I used a piece of tubing for this) or else the mixture knob will "walk" in flight...
- Removal of spoilers
- Replacement of foam tail wheel with rubber one.
- Aileron servos should be dismounted and mounts re-epoxied (most are very loose!).
- Cowl must be cut slightly so as not to limit mixture "peg" travel.
- Muffler rear must be slightly disassembled and J&B welded. Else no matter what you try it -WILL- loosen in flight causing the exhaust nozzle to turn in strange directions. LOCK TIGHT does not work at all.

Recommended:
Addition of flaps servo from the start
Larger flight battery (I used a 2000 mAh and ran all day with it).

Not Recommended or rather be carefull:
Addition of fueling receptacle
Addition of in line fuel filter

While both of the latter are helpful, I was having rather bad fuel problems.

It turned out to be that the fuel filter I had chosen, would almost stop the fuel flow when you tightened it's O-Ring seals down.

Go figure, you tighten it down to prevent leaks and it cuts off all fuel flow. A very bad design!

Last edited by opjose; 06-03-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: