Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:15 PM

Well here it is... the EDF jet as requested....

( Plane shows up as FA-18Z EFD (sp?) )

Please note:

I've reset the low rates to 50% (channels 1 & 5 for the tailerons). You can set this to whatever you want in the editor.

I have NO experience with this type of plane.

That said, at 100% throw, there is IMHO too much of a tendancy to stall because of the extremely large tail plane deflections.

Reality should lie somewhere between 50% and 90% I believe, but I can't speak to this.

Also I am unsure (no guidance) on the mixing ratios between elevator and aileron function. You can adjust this by adjusting the curve for the second input on channels 1 and 5. Note that one is the reverse of the other.

e.g. to LOWER the amount of elevator pitch deflection (ratio) decrease the curve from -100,0,100 and 100,0,-100 (respectively) to say -70,0,70 and 70,0,-70.

If you find that the pitch deflection occurs in a realistic ratio, merely lower the TOTAL throw percentages.
Attached Files
File Type: g3x FA18Z_EDF_EA.G3X (564.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-15-2006, 10:19 PM

Thanks Opjose. I'll play with it and report back.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 PM

Thumbs up This is it!

I made a few changes. Max throw on the Tailerons is 20 degrees. Changed the curves to (126,0-126) to increase elevator effectiveness and set the low rates to 70%. This is VERY close to how the real HET F-18 Bug flies with the 650 watt setup I have. Again I keep the throttle trim to all the way down for realism, all the way up for fun!

Thanks again Opjose.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: g3x F-18 EDF_AV.G3X (25.7 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by MikeF; 05-16-2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Replace bad file
Old 05-16-2006, 03:45 AM

^^ Nizz / Zinn are my name nice to see my/friends Work here in this forum.
Have fun
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Nizz:

I was wondering what your avatar meant!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike

Click on sub albums at right sidebar.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF
I made a few changes. Max throw on the Tailerons is 20 degrees. Changed the curves to (126,0-126) to increase elevator effectiveness and set the low rates to 70%. This is VERY close to how the real HET F-18 Bug flies with the 650 watt setup I have. Again I keep the throttle trim to all the way down for realism, all the way up for fun!

Thanks again Opjose.

Mike
Question:

Are you saying that it is very close when in low rates? Or High rates.

I would assume that you mean low rates, right?

In which case the model should be adjusted so that "high" rates gives the results you are seeing with your current low rate adjustments.

BTW: The file you uploaded targets the wrong plane...

This can be fixed quite easily by editing the .plng3 file and in the "MAIN" section setting the target model to "FA18Z".

I post a corrected version tonight.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:29 PM

No, I mean the plane is very accurate in high and low rates. I cut the high rates down to less than half what you had them and low rates are 70% of that. There is not much difference between high and low on my real model. I really only use high rates on the real one during launch before it picks up much speed. Once it's traveling 80-100mph it doesn't take much throw to have a big effect.

I replace the bad file you pointed out. I must admit to being a bit of a newb when it comes to editing, exporting and such. I've been lurking here for a few months trying to learn from the experts. I didn't know you could edit a plng3 file, or even that it existed!

I did notice when mucking about the G3 model is actually powered by twin 6x6 pushers. I've started working on changing it to a single Mega powered Mini-fan like my model. I've brought mine up to the PC with a tape measure to see how accurate I can make the G3 model and if I can make it fly well with those changes. Even if I make a mess of it the model you posted will keep me happy.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-16-2006, 09:39 PM

For fun try this...

Now that the Aileron's are "unhooked" connect them back up to the elevator and set them both to "reverse".

This should DROP the ailerons when you attempt to pull up the nose.

This gives it great pitch authority... while keeping the taileron function.

A lot of fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: