Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 AM

Ultra Stick

Based on Hangar 9's Ultra Stick, this plane provides high and very unusual performance in a simple package.

The basic Ultra Stick is a normal five channel aircraft - Ailerons, Elevator, Throttle, Rudder, & Flaps.

The "Quad Flap" variant is fully "tricked out" with multi-functioning ailerons and flaps. This means that each aileron and flap is activated by an individually controlled servo. The functions of the ailerons and flaps are set by switches on the InterLink controller, which activate special mixes.

These mixes include:
Flap-to-Aileron for insane roll rates.
Flap-to-Elevator for extreme loops.
Crow-to-Throttle for airbrakes.
And, of course, Normal Flaps.

RealFlight Aircraft Specifications-

Seven Channels:
Throttle
Ailerons - two channels
Elevator
Rudder
Flaps - two channels

InterLink Controls:
Flaps - Controlled by the rotary knob on the InterLink Controller.
Dual Rates - Controlled by the 2-position switch located on the front left of the InterLink controller.
Crow - Activated by the 2-position switch located on the top right of the InterLink controller.
Flap-to-Aileron - Activated by the middle position of the 3-position switch located on the top left of the InterLink controller.
Flap-to-Elevator - Activated by the up position of the 3-position switch located on the top left of the InterLink controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UltraStick.jpg (40.4 KB, 175 views)
Attached Files
File Type: g3x UltraStick_EA.G3X (403.7 KB, 825 views)
File Type: g3x Quad Flap_AV.G3X (30.9 KB, 574 views)

Last edited by dhk79; 08-04-2006 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Updated Download File & added Variant
Old 08-03-2006, 02:14 PM

New Quad Flap Variant

I edited my original post, so those of you who only look at NEW posts will not see that I've added a plane with fully functioning "Quad Flaps".
Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 AM

I like this plane a lot.

I find it strangely addicting.

I found it a bit too heavy, so I referred back to the Hanger 9 manuals for it (.60 sized version), and saw that the posted model was indeed high in AUW.

This post brings the model in line with Hanger 9's posted parameters.

While the changes are rather small the effects on the flight model are very positive.

I've also given the rudder a bit more "authority" as I've never seen the actual models so "loose" on the tail.
Attached Files
File Type: g3x UltraStick_EDIT_EA.G3X (404.0 KB, 389 views)
Old 08-04-2006, 03:02 PM

I'll double check my weights, but they were set based on measurements taken from my actual plane and not the manufacture's specs.

I will say, that this model flies pretty much like the real bird. I too think it is just a bit under-powered for it's weight, but it a blast to fly and is one of my favorites.

Try for a VSTOL landing, dive straight down at the runway with full Crow and pull out right over the field. Not something that you'd want to try with most planes, but this one can do it.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 PM

One of the mistakes often made is with the weight entry which the G3 editor does not clarify...

e.g. if the editor states the horizontal stab weight, and you enter 2.0 oz, G3 multiplies that effectively by 2, so you actually end up with 4.0 oz on the stab.

Also G3 permits you to enter values, but doesn't show you wing loadings, etc. consistently.

So what is modeled is almost always a bit heavier than the real thing.

Then there is fuel, etc.

The weight of any engine is not on the spinner (as G3 always seems to default to!) but rather the engine should be moved back so that it is in the middle of the visual representation, longitudinally. That puts the mass of the engine about where it should be.

That said, I haven't flown one (yet). But I've watched them on the field.

With the actual values dialed in as you've done, the nose comes down very fast and you have to keep it up.

This is not what I saw when people throttled back their similiarly sized sticks, which is why I went to the manual.

I've decreased the measured weights a bit to try to get the Stick in line with the manuals reported flying weight.

You would know better than I how it flies.

---

For anyone else paying attention, this is why VERY SPECIFIC OBSERVATION FEEDBACK IS IMPORTANT!

e.g.

When throttle is pulled off, does the plane ascend then decend, remain straight then settle into a light glide, a heavy glide, stall out?

etc.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM

OK Jose,

You caught me!

I made a math error on adding up the fuselage weights. You were also right about the Horz Stab being counted twice.

Files are updated above.

Doug
Old 08-04-2006, 04:26 PM

It also applies to the wings as well.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 PM

Wow it flies soo much better now!

Question:

Does the real thing nose down at that angle when it slows down?

It seems a bit steep, but I haven't flown one.

It also helps to imcrease the "overall wing lift" and the "post stall wing lift" of the rudder to say 1.8 and 1.6 respectively.

The plane will still yaw because of the small rudder, but it will not do it quite so much.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:19 AM

When are you seeing it nose down?

If you apply crow at high speed it initially pitches up, as normal. If you are talking about in a clean configuration and just killing the engine (or reducing to idle) in level flight, it has a good glide ratio but you do have to keep just a little up elevator. Hands-off it will drop it's nose. I've had plenty of dead-sticks with that bird, as I was trying to find the correct settings on the engine. It would frequently die if you gave it gas too fast. Got it fixed now, but it was a pain for a while. So I'd say it's pretty realistic.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:39 AM

Yes, I'm referring to, from level flight, pulling off the throttle completely with the stick centered.

It hits a point where the stick pitches down into a glide, but it appeared to be steeper than I would have thought.

But that was just my impression having not flown one.

I was just curious as to this reflected the actual Stick.

Though one more question.

I know that the sticks have short rudders. But in the model I see the tail being latterally loose.

I increased the tails "lift factor" both pre and post stall to make it "bite" a bit more so that the tail would not be so prone to move around.

Again I'm guessing...

Does the real stick fishtail as much as the model?

Otherwise with the changes I find it to "feel" right.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
Yes, I'm referring to, from level flight, pulling off the throttle completely with the stick centered.

It hits a point where the stick pitches down into a glide, but it appeared to be steeper than I would have thought.

But that was just my impression having not flown one.

I was just curious as to this reflected the actual Stick.

Though one more question.

I know that the sticks have short rudders. But in the model I see the tail being latterally loose.

I increased the tails "lift factor" both pre and post stall to make it "bite" a bit more so that the tail would not be so prone to move around.

Again I'm guessing...

Does the real stick fishtail as much as the model?

Otherwise with the changes I find it to "feel" right.

I have two Ultra Sticks, one set up with Flaps and the other with just Ailerons. The one with Flaps is set up with Flapperons, Crow, and Spiolers. The one with just Ailerons is set up with Crow. Both planes have fishtail caracteristics. Neither plane will do Knife Edge no matter how you set them up. You can force a Knife Edge but it is very difficult. I do believe it might be because of the design of the tail section. Hope this helps. The model you guys have created is very close to the original. I really like how it handles. Thanks for all your hard work....
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 PM

Thanks for your comments and I agree with you.

I've had several of these planes and I too think that this model is very accurate.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:07 PM

Yup.

This is another of those models that "feels" right.

I do wonder about the amount of fishtailing, but that is only because I haven't compared it to the real thing.

I'll take your (more experienced!) word for it.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:34 PM

I've had two 40size Ultra Sticks.

They both were tail waggers. Neither would knife edge easily because the suckers had such strong tuck and roll coupled to the rudder movement. I did my first computer radio mixing to cut the couples in half. With the OS46AX running with a perfect needle setting, on a somewhat cool day, they'd then hold a semblance of knife edge with me pushing both sticks all over the place.

What amazed me about my 2nd one was that until I got the CG back behind the suggested range it wouldn't snap. While trying to figure that out, it dawned on me that I'd couldn't remember ever snapping the 1st one. I've been wanting to ask someone with decent experience with the smaller US if theirs would snap. The 2nd one met a horrible death on about the 2nd flight after I'd gotten the CG back far enough to snap the sucker. And it was far enough back that I almost couldn't fly the thing..... uh...... actually COULDN'T fly it, I guess.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:47 PM

Yeah, you can get them to snap.

The problem is a fine line on getting the maximum rudder point set. You can't allow too much rudder deflection or the plane goes into a spin when full rudder is applied. Setting the rudder to just short of that point, will insure that you'll never be able to hold a knife-edge but you will be able to snap. It'll take a few test flights to get the rudder dialed in to just the right spot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: