Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 AM

Aren't dictionaries wonderful things?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM

Post Test flight of PTS post

Doug,

Thanks for your work on developing this model for G3. Here are some observations:

When I downloaded all the files and imported them, it wouldn't let me fly the Sport version. It keeps nosing over at reset, and I get a message that the paint scheme is in use by another aircraft. I deleted all the versions except the Sport (my model) and it works.

Roll authority is right on, but the pitch authority is a lot more than my model. I have my model rigged according to the book, and I can't pull "square" corners the way the G3 model does. Also I think your power to weight ratio is too high. The computer model takeoff is very brisk compared to mine even after I edited the computer model to reflect the APC 10x7 prop I am using. With this prop my max rpm is around 13,300. My model needs more of a takeoff run, and a lot more right rudder than the computer model.

Regards,

Jack

Last edited by kndflt; 08-10-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM

Interesting... I'll check the downloads for proper mapping to TGA files, when I get home from work. Each base aircraft should be using its own colorscheme (PTS3 for the sport model).
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 PM

OK, First post on here and it shows my computer skill level. I downloaded PTS trainer file with the download manager it downloaded as a zip file "no prob" I then open zipped file and move it to my documents. Open file in my documents and see all of the contained smaller files. Problem is when I try to import it to G3 it will not open it. I get a box that says" no file PTS Trainer EA G3X found please check file name an try again" but when I go to my documents I can find the file and open it with no problem. Can someone give me a little advice with something to try(remembering I'm a computer novice) .

Thanks
Neill
Old 08-10-2006, 09:11 PM

Now I really feel foolish I read the read this first post and it explains exactly how to import files, but why when I right click save target as it automaticly says it is a zip file? I have read all of the read this first thread and still need help if someone could steer me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Neill
Old 08-11-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndflt
Doug,

Thanks for your work on developing this model for G3. Here are some observations:

When I downloaded all the files and imported them, it wouldn't let me fly the Sport version. It keeps nosing over at reset, and I get a message that the paint scheme is in use by another aircraft. I deleted all the versions except the Sport (my model) and it works.
I did the physics on this plane....

This sounds like you didn't import it properly and picked up the wrong physics.

A correctly installed file will not nose over at reset.

- You MUST NOT EVER have the same plane open when you import an identical model! -

This causes the paint scheme error you saw.

Load up another plane and THEN load the .G3X files.

Quote:
Doug,

Roll authority is right on, but the pitch authority is a lot more than my model. I have my model rigged according to the book, and I can't pull "square" corners the way the G3 model does.
No, pitch authority is actually less than the real model to prevent stalling.

This was measured with laser incidence meters on three seperate planes.

I'd adjust your real plane, you should get identical performance.

Also consider moving the C.G. back a bit on the real thing. With the weight of fuel in the tank the real plane is far too nose heavy.

This was the first thing adjusted on all of the models flown at our fields.

Once properly adjusted the real thing should be just as authorative in pitch.

Quote:
Doug,

Also I think your power to weight ratio is too high. The computer model takeoff is very brisk compared to mine even after I edited the computer model to reflect the APC 10x7 prop I am using. With this prop my max rpm is around 13,300. My model needs more of a takeoff run, and a lot more right rudder than the computer model.

Regards,

Jack
The power/weight ratio is right on the money. The problem is that default rolling co-efficient is far too low in G3 making the plane come up to speed imediately and unrealistically. This is more of a problem with G3's ground handling defaults.

I posted this previously.

To get realistic take offs you must edit the default airfield as indicated. Then the plane will not lift off at throttle.

Try a grass take off with the co-efficient set as indicated, it will roll out at about 60% throttle just like the real thing.

The right yaw is a seperate issue.

Trying to replicate the left takeoff yaw in G3 causes the airborne flight model to be thrown off too much.

The compromise is to adjust the wheel placement to get some of the left yaw effect while increasing the helical airflow to for more left takeoff yaw.

This has been maxed out in this model. It cannot be increased any more than it is without causing the plane to fly in a strange and unrealistic manner on airborne.

Last edited by opjose; 08-11-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:07 AM

BTW: Elevator movement on the real plane is about 15 degrees.

To avoid stalling the G3 model I've set it to 11 degrees.

G3 does not seem to be generating as much wing lift as the real thing.

If anything the G3 PTS model needs to have it's lift factor and post stall lift factor increased on each wing segment, an additional 20%.

This would have the adverse effect of making the plane lift from the runway even more quickly, as it comes up to the magic 21mph far too fast.

That would in turn make the takeoffs seem more unrealistic, but it would improve the flight model even more.

---

The power/weight ratio on these models gets the plane up to the correct maximum level flight airspeeds using the different configurations.

It agrees exactly with the clocked airspeeds for the PTS posted on a review at RCU... for each of the differing configurations with the differing propellers.

Max reported airspeed for the "full sport" mode with the APC 11x6 prop hovers around 73mph in level flight... about the same as the G3 model.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:50 PM

Thanks for putting this up for download... I'm just graduating to the P-51 without any of the "aids"... should be interesting.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Given everything I read about it, I assumed that the PTS P-51 would stall out on me at landing when I first flew the real thing in full sport mode.

I practically could not tell the difference in full sport, versus having the wing droops on.

The biggest change seemed to be the airspeed and "livelyness" of the plane.

Rolls were quicker due to the additional airspeed, and you could easily tip stall a wing during a hard loop maneouver.

I really could not see a big difference in the landings, other than I brought it in quicker.

Takeoffs were better though, as I also removed the flywheel when I performed the transistion. This reduced left yaw a bit.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 PM

Trim problems

Anyone had any problems triming this thing out??? I can't get the damn thing to want to do anything but climb and go left. Other than having to fight the sticks, it seems to be a good representation of how it flies. I've also had this problem with a coulpe of other planes I've downloaded. Any suggestions???
Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 AM

Recalibrate your controller.

It sounds as if it is a bit out of center.

The real PTS has a marked left yaw as you run it up in speed for takeoff.

If this is what you are talking about, this is correct.

It also has a left roll that you should correct with a couple of clicks of right aileron.

This too is as per the real thing.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:30 AM

Problems

I have indeed calibrated my controller and I was aware of the yaw on takoff. This is not the problem. Enen when setting the trimadjustments all the way in one direction, it still climbs and turns left. I am at a loss...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Use the trims.

The real thing does this... and you must compensate with the trims on the controller.

Doing this is "realistic".

If you have to go to the trim extremes, however, something is amiss either with your import of the file or with your system/controller... only 2-4 clicks should be required, again just like the real thing...

I have to put my real PTS's nose DOWN using about 4 clicks.

On this G3 model the C.G. is a bit aft of the Hangar 9 recommended, as this is both how I fly it, and was recommended by many field instructors to "liven" up the plane a bit.

The plane does left roll slowly due to torque, which you must compensate with about 2 clicks of right aileron... G3 simulates this very well.

Also be sure that you are running ver .44x as this model was created for the latest release.

Last edited by opjose; 08-19-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 AM

I will try to reinstall and see if that helps. I have the trim com. all the way to the 'extremes' and it still is borderline unflyable. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:40 AM

It's all good...

Reinstalling the aircraft worked like a charm! This thing flies exactly like the real thing. Good job!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: