Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 PM

Yeah, the real thing is a NICE first plane.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:19 PM

WOW- the PTS is my 1st palne though I have yet to fly her As a heli guy I guessed at how it might perform and built a model to practace with but mine acted nothing like this one - THANK YOU BOTH for contributig such a wonderful model to the many out here that are like me

~Fly safe
Old 09-09-2006, 02:46 PM

My second real PTS has become a deconstructed lawn dart.

The PTS began a gracefull takeoff running fairly true down the runway due to some recent minor modifications.

It lifted in a very scale like manner, and began it's usual slight left roll.

Right aileron corrections resulted in more roll, resulting in more corrects, and then even more roll.

As the plane headed towards a barrier fence at full speed, elevator was applied causing the plane to nose straight up for over 20-30 feet, over and straight down impacting the ground at full speed.

This happened very quickly.

User stupidity was the primary cause of failure.

The idiot pilot in command, had been playing with setting up and using a different computer controlled radio, and while setting it up for another plane, had reversed the PTS aileron settings.

Being focused on adjusting elevator and rudder settings resulted in a failure to see the aileron reversals.

And yes I was flying it.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
And yes I was flying it.
I have found it is ALWAYS better to blame the mechanic that worked on the airframe last rather than blame ones self as the pilot. Even if (and 99% of the time it is) the one and same person.......... Never attack YOUR skills as the pilot - just blame "The mechanic".

Its a shame to hear of the loss though - I am almost skerd to fly mine - it looks soooo nice just hanging from the ceiling in the hobby room I know it wont look so nice if I try to solo it right off
Old 09-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Ok, I've got to replace the Friggin mechanic that screwed up my PLANE!!!

#$)(#$* caused me to crash!

Old 09-10-2006, 08:40 PM

This G3 plane is helping my flying skills

Thanks all for the work on this plane. While it is a wee bit different flying the real deal vs the G3 version I know that the G3 model has greatly improved my over all flying.

Thanks for all the hard work and excellent modeling.

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 PM

Evolution with the fly wheel?

Does the Evolution engine in the G3 PTS model have the fly wheel weight added to it? I'm wondering how it would fly if it didn't have that extra weight.

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 PM

The Sport configuration has the flywheel removed, however, the weight is removed from the airframe and not the prop/engine. RealFlight does not have a way to dynamically replicate a spinning flywheel.

In "real-life", you'd probably find that removing the flywheel while using the constrained "training" prop will give you idle problems (i.e. the engine will often die at low speeds). The flywheel increases the prop's kenetic energy and will help the engine make it to the next firing revolution if it misses.

A sport prop has reduced drag and so dosen't load the engine down as much, so the flywheel will not be missed.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Actually the helical thrust parameter approximates the flywheel effect fairly well.

The only minor problem is that you cannot set it up beyond 5. It needs to go to about 7.

For the PTS it should be higher.

With the wheels canted out a little, takeoffs are just like the real thing... a bit HARD from asphalt, but a breeze from grass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: