Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 AM

I have read that and even tried the method you describe,but I still can't get mirrored objects to display correctly.

I'll keep working on it.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:59 AM

Max, what version of Deep Exploration are you using now? I went ahead and purchased it and the current version is 4.1. Now it renames all of my objects with a "frm-" prefix and abbreviates the names even further. Version 3.5 did not do this.

As if the export process wasn't complicated enough, now I have to rename everything in DE before I run the KEX converter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg efsa.jpg (51.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Arrow

No, you don't have to rename every object in DE. You can also rename them only in the .sup - file. Simply go ahead. But I don't know how the .3ds file looks in DE after the export. Perhaps you now don't get all that new sub - folders in the new verision and can make everything in DE including hierachy.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 AM

I figured it out.

Before you open your .X file from Gmax, you need to set up some import options.

Go to File>Open and set "Files of Type" to "DirectX Model". Then the "Settings" button will become active. Click on it.

An Import Properties dialog box will pop up. Set "Optimize Heirarchy" to NO.

Open your .X file and you will see you still get all the subfolders with the frm- prefix but at least the object names are preserved.

Now go to "Save As" and change "Save as Type:" to Autodesk 3D Studio, then click "Settings" again.

An Export Properties dialog box will pop up. Set Export hierarchy information, Export Lights and Export Cameras all to NO, then save it.

Re-open the file and the subfolders will be gone and the oject names (other than the ~ being changed to a _) are not changed. You can now go ahead and set up your hierarchies in DE as Max describes.

Remember you need to change Export hierarchy information back to YES before you save for the KEX conversion.

Keep in mind this only applies to DE 4.1 and is exactly the same thing we were doing in 3.5, the process has just changed slightly.

Last edited by JCHarrist; 09-28-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:12 PM

Well, that's the second way I already explained in the tutorial.

Quote:
There is a faster way getting out our objects out of the .x - file - folder hierarchy:

When you open your exported x. - file from gmax, directly save it without changes as .3ds - file. When the "3D - Studio - Mesh - Export - Properties" - dialog box appear, deactivate the option "Save hierarchy" and click "Ok".

Close and re-open the saved .3ds - file in Deep Exploration. You will now recognize that all folders have disappeared. And you can directly begin to set up hierarchy for the aircraft, as it is needed. But keep in mind, that you must activate this option again, when you are exporting to a .3ds - file you are also want to export to a .kex - file. If you don't do this the .kex - exporter won't accept your .3ds - file, saying "file has no nodes".

Also keep in mind, that when you re-open the exported .3ds - file in Deep Exploration, nearly every object ist getting an "Axis[Number]" - folder, which is possibly necessary, that Deep Exploration is able to handle Pivots/Nodes. Don't take this file to make changes, cause every re-saveing of the file, will lead to new sub-folders, which are possibly more or less the reason for the generated DUMMY - Objects in the .kex - file.
The problem is, that you cannot work further more with your generated .3ds - file because the sub - folders will remain. You can again disable saving hierarchy, but that lead to the problem, that you have to rearrange everything from the beginning.

But thanks for the info. When I find time, I will implement the information with screenshots, so it's more easy to understand it.

Last edited by maxkop; 02-08-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Win Hand
Unhappy

I don't understand all of this, and don't know if i have the time. I would like to build my own planes too. Can you please explain it beter. I have Deep Exploration already. PLEASE EXPLAIN!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Win Hand,

Maxkop is doing an excellent job explaining step by step how to do it with $150 Deep Exploration versus $3500 3DSMAX.
Nobody said it was easy, it's all about the money .... if it was, everybody would be making his own planes instead of buying G3 add-ons.

Even with pretty good skills after repeating the process several or more times it will still take several good days to design, map and export model succesfully to G3.

I also want to make my own models but without buying 3DSMAX , can't afford it :-(
I just placed an order for my Deep Exploration and will keep my fingers crossed and hope that when I get stuck with the process, Maxkop will help me solve it so my investment pays off in some way ...*smile.

All I can tell is Maxkop has devoted a lot of his time and effort making related tutorial and we should say thank you to him... there is no ( in my opinion) better way of explaining it than in Maxkop's tutorial and he is always answering questions if you have any problems ...

I plotted Maxkop's tutorial, went thru the first two parts ( the easiest I guess LOL), it worked, today I wanted to try part 3.1 and I realized my Deep Exploration demo version expired ... :-( so as I mentioned at the beginning, I ordered it and I will keep my fingers crossed because it's ver. 4.1 ... see thread above.

Good luck if you decide to give gmax-kex method a try.

ARB
Old 02-08-2007, 07:26 PM

Talking Thanks

He has done alot of hard work into this, i will thank him and i will do so now. Thank-you for all of your hard work maxkop. I don't think i will ever make planes or try again.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 PM

Thumbs up

Win Hand,

Why did you give up so easily ?
If you take your time and try to follow all the steps, you should be fine ... that's what I hope for ..

Plus you will get all the help here in the forums ..... if you just do not have enough time .... that's different story.

Have fun flying in G3.5

ARB
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 PM

Does it cost anything to get

and can you please tell me where to get it
Old 02-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
Does it cost anything to get

and can you please tell me where to get it
Read the tutorial! It's stickied at the top of the forum.

Deep Exploration is just what we are using to convert the planes to .3ds format. The modelling is done in Gmax.

Gmax is free. Deep Exploration is free for 30 days. The price of the standard edition is $150.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM

so then what is $3000

thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 PM

Wink Ok, i will try...

Ok, i'll go back ger the programs and do all the steps over a coarse of several days. I will tell you weather or not it is going well. Your statement gave me encouragement. Thank-you so MUCH!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Win Hand,

I am glad you are going to give it a try , just make sure setup your software exactly step by step as per Maxkop tutorial.
I am almost positive you will get it to work ... and, be careful, it's pretty addictive thing ...LOL since you start you do not want to give up .

ARB
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Unhappy 1 question though

I can't get the free gmax program through the dounload source below. Can you check that out please.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: