Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM

Error creating effect PropDisk

I just installed Real Flight G3.5 and on startup I get an error message "Error creating effect PropDisk" ... is this a video card problem? I have downloaded the lastest update for real flight and am in the process of downloading an update for my video card. Just want to know if this will fix the problem.
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Error creating Effect ...(whatever) is usually, okay damn near always a video card issue. Check the compatability chart at the top of on the G3 Discussion forum. And if you're using a laptop, you've probably got a low end card not suitable for G3. Post your specs per the 'Asking For Help? Read This' sticky.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Here are my specs...hoping to get assistance from Knife Edge tech support as per "Need Help:Read This" sticky! I did just as stated by going into Real Flight Tech Supportbut the attached document is still lengthy....sorry!

Thanks jeffpn! I did check the list of compatible vga cards and mine is not on the list!!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Real Flight Info.txt (49.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-28-2007, 12:22 AM

Yup an older SiS integrated video card.

It's NOT DX9 compliant nor does it meet specs....

You'll need to upgrade.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 AM

Angry

Thanks...I already figured out that in order to use Real Flight you have to have an ATI brand video card or a Nvidia...these are the only two brands that are compatible without any problems...but you still need to check the compatibility list because not all of the ATI & Nvidia cards will work...only a select few!
I think they should advertise this information on their package like Hangar 9 FSOne does...I checked all the minimum requirements before I bought the real flight and my computer meet all of these...but then when you get home and download the software you run into problems and search on the internet for 4 hours trying to find out what the problem is...at least with the FSOne they print right on the package that you need an ATI or Nvidia video card...that way you know if you dont have this you will be investing more money than just the price of the software!

Last edited by mhkkcf4; 01-28-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:55 AM

No other cards which are DX9 compliant work just fine.

It is not ATI or NVIDA only as you've posted.

Your card is NOT DX9 compliant.
Your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements... it's a CELERY (Celeron) PIII for one...

Many people don't understand the distinction with DX9.

You can have the DX9 software installed, but your card can still not be compliant.

Typically the older video chipsets fall into this.

What happens is that the manufacturers will come out with say a laptop video subsystem or a cheap video adaptor. They will reuse their older technology chips and add more ram, then throw on a new designation for them to confuse things.

This makes them seem brand new, and they get more lifetime out of a chipset that they have spent a lot of money developing, but didn't get an expected return on.

Heck even Nvidia and ATI are guilty of this... check out the discussion on the NVIDIA MX4000 which is a rebranded DX7 MX400. This card is being sold now, but the chipset is relatively ancient.

The unsuspecting buyer things that it works just fine with his/her 3D stuff... but if they run something that needs DX9 compliance for say particle shaders... the card fails... as in your case.

This is NOT Knifeedge's fault and yes it -IS- pretty much on the box...

Bottom line is that you should ALWAYS have the "recommended" or "Performance" specs to run any software you purchase.

Anything else falls into "well it will run, sort of... but you'll be happier when you get your new computer".
Old 01-28-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
It is not ATI or NVIDA only as you've posted.
It is only the ATI & Nvidia that work the best...if you go to the Compatibility list (http://www.knifeedge.com/rfvc_compatibility.php) and go down through and find all the video cards that have "Y" in the tested column & "Y" in the works column and has NO problems listed in the last column you will see that the only video cards that work with real flight is ATI & Nvidia......
Unless you are saying that the list is inaccurate - b/c I went down through the list and read EVERY single card listed and wrote down the ones that were tested and worked so that I could shop & buy one that works with NO problems and there are only 9 ATI cards and 9 Nvidia cards...let me list them for you...
ATI - Mobility Radeon X300, Radeon 7000 32MB & 64MB, Radeon 7500 64 MB DDR, Radeon 9000 PRO 128 MB, Radeon 9600 256MB, Radeon 9700, Radeon 9800 128MB, and Radeon IGP 345.
Nvidia - GeForce 6800GT AGP, GeForce FX 5200 256MB, GeForce FX 5200 128 bit, GeForce FX 5700LE, GeForce 5750 128zMB, GeForce FX 5800 & 5900 Ultra, GeForce Ti4200 128MB, and Quadro FX330 64MB.

Quote:
This is NOT Knifeedge's fault and yes it -IS- pretty much on the box...
In response to you saying that real flights has these specs listed on their package...yeah they give you the basic "DirectX 9 (or above) compatible video and sound card ..3D accelerated video card with 32 MB RAM (or more)"
Whereas...the FSONE advertises specifically that you need "Nvidia or ATI graphics card with 64 MB VRAM, GeForce Ti, GeForce 5000 series (5200 or above), ATI Radeon 9000 series (9200 or above)"

Quote:
Bottom line is that you should ALWAYS have the "recommended" or "Performance" specs to run any software you purchase.
I did check the minimum requirements BEFORE I purchased the product and my computer met all these......Just because I am not a computer whiz....I did not know that my SiS M661MX was not DirectX 9 compatible..which is why real flights should specifiy on their package the same way Hangar 9 FSONE does
Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jollyroger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkkcf4
[COLOR=Magenta]In response to you saying that real flights has these specs listed on their package...yeah they give you the basic "DirectX 9 (or above) compatible video and sound card ..3D accelerated video card with 32 MB RAM (or more)"
That is what the box says, and what you said was:

Quote:
I did check the minimum requirements BEFORE I purchased the product and my computer met all these......Just because I am not a computer whiz....I did not know that my SiS M661MX was not DirectX 9 compatible..which is why real flights should specifiy on their package the same way Hangar 9 FSONE does
Ok, now, lets look at a specific part of that quote from you

Quote:
my SiS M661MX was not DirectX 9 compatible..which is why real flights should specifiy on their package
and what you said again was.....
Quote:
[COLOR=Magenta]In response to you saying that real flights has these specs listed on their package...yeah they give you the basic "DirectX 9 (or above) compatible video and sound card ..3D accelerated video card with 32 MB RAM (or more)"
so, to just say it, THE BOX DOES SAY WHAT THE REQUIREMENTS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jollyroger; 01-28-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:01 AM

I am not arguing that the box does not have requirements listed....I am arguing that they should be MORE SPECIFIC!!! You kinda misquoted me there....I said that I DID NOT KNOW my SiS video card was not compatible....I saw that I had DirectX 9 installed and assumed that I was ok.....did not know that there are some cards not compatible with DirectX...seems kinda funny, you have DirectX 9 installed on your computer...but it does not work with your video card?!?!?!?!?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jollyroger
and thats your fault, not ke's. when I first bought G3. The computer i had had a video card and did not support DX9. i did not know that until i intstalled real flight., then , big suprise. I couldn't start it up. Ask Opjose. I'm sure he remembers. I then bought a whole new comp. And now i can fly! :-)
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 AM

Well it is kinda my fault for not researching a little more but when you see a video card with 64mb and direct x installed on your computer you assume that you are good to go...but I also have to put some of the blame on KE as well for not advertising the system requirements a little better!
this is what I did...I went to my local computer shop today and took with me a list of the system requirements and told him I wanted a computer built just for the Real Flight Simulator....but it will not be ready to pick up until next week...so I went to HobbyTown and bought the G3.5 so I would have it when my new computer arrived....well I got a little anxious and decided to try to install it on my laptop (which is the computer I prechecked the system requirements for before buying the sim) and thought I would be good to go...b/c I had DirectX9 installed and a video card with 64MB which exceeds the minimum requirement of 32MB....clearly I did not know that my video card was not compatible with the DirectX.......so now I am a little worried that the computer I am having built for me specifically for the Real Flight G3.5 is not going to work either...because I did not know beforehand that you had to have an ATI or Nvidia because it is not advertised this way on the box and computer novices like myself assumed that "hey I have a 64mb video card & directx 9...it will work"
I am hoping to get in contact with the computer shop before they start putting my new computer together to make sure they install a compatible Video Card

Last edited by mhkkcf4; 01-28-2007 at 02:16 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: