Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Yeah blender's iterface is certainly unique, at least as far as I have seen in other 3d modelling apps. Takes a while to get used to.

With blender for modelling the aircraft you will need to download the Knife Edge 3ds2kex utility which will convert the 3DS+SUP files from blender into KEX import for Real Flight.

You will also need a paint program to do the skinning of the aircraft, if you want to go freeware then check out GIMP which is quite good. Anything that can edit a targa image file will do.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM

When I import my 3ds file the names of all the parts are completely mixed up. Is that what is meant by the 3ds import being "broken"? Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 AM

i noticed that blender does not import 3ds files to good.
i mean it does import the files but they get all messed up.
but the export script that rayvel wrote works great.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM

yeah, about the 3ds import - I have never touched that so I think it is pretty much broken just like the "out-of-the-box" export is pretty much broken.

In fact I have never even tried importing 3ds into blender - only worked with exporting the .blend files to .3ds
Old 01-27-2008, 07:27 PM

I'm sort of getting it. Not sure which axis will be the rotating one after I set up the pivot point center. It would also be nice for someone to give some of these basic instructions for 3DsMax... for those who will just use the free trial. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsonman
I'm sort of getting it. Not sure which axis will be the rotating one after I set up the pivot point center. It would also be nice for someone to give some of these basic instructions for 3DsMax... for those who will just use the free trial. Just a suggestion.
Watch when you rotate if you are rotating about the pivot or about the world axes. So you can hit 'R' 'X' to rotate about local X, or 'R' 'X' 'X' to rotate about world X. (Or is that the other way around...)

As for 3DsMax your guess is as good as mine. There are plenty of resources out there so maybe find a basic tutorial on 3DsMax (not related to creating aircraft models). Should be easy to find.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvel
Watch when you rotate if you are rotating about the pivot or about the world axes. So you can hit 'R' 'X' to rotate about local X, or 'R' 'X' 'X' to rotate about world X. (Or is that the other way around...)

As for 3DsMax your guess is as good as mine. There are plenty of resources out there so maybe find a basic tutorial on 3DsMax (not related to creating aircraft models). Should be easy to find.

R X,Y,Z rotates along the global.
didnt now that you could rotate on the local ..... thats great
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM

just found a tutorial for blender on KE's tutorial page.
at the very bottom of the plane tutorial

http://knifeedge.com/KEmax/tutorials.php

covers the basics on how to get an object in to the sim.

combine that with the rest of the tutorials... you will be able to make anything you want.

thanks KE
Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 PM

Creating an Aircraft Using Blender.

Found this tutorial while trolling some 3D sites, it's for creating an aircraft with Blender.
There is also a .pdf version of the tutorial available for offline reading.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15

Also a fastforward demo of a master at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wRU2fTA_YI

Good Luck,
Frank...
Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 AM

texture map problems

Hello, newb here.

I know blender well enough to be dangerous, but not make a living with it. I decided to tackle an Enticement as my first attempt at a RF model. I took detailed pics for modeling and textures, got the basic plane modeled. I learned a few do's and dont's for the next more serious effort, but before I did too much I decided to see if I could get what I have into RF.

I am running into problems after the export script. The kex file gets created ok, but when i try to import it into RF i get an 'error finding texture file'. The texture is a 1024x1024 non compressed TGA in the same dir as the kex file, as it was when used as a texture in blender. I also tried looking at the nexstar blender demo, and it will not even make it through the converter - 0 bitmap files used.

So i was sondering if someone could point me in some direction to resolve the import problem. Maybe just a sample that will actually import that I can compare to. Once I see something positive in RF I hope to get motivated to go do more detailed modeling.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked
Hello, newb here.

I know blender well enough to be dangerous, but not make a living with it. I decided to tackle an Enticement as my first attempt at a RF model. I took detailed pics for modeling and textures, got the basic plane modeled. I learned a few do's and dont's for the next more serious effort, but before I did too much I decided to see if I could get what I have into RF.

I am running into problems after the export script. The kex file gets created ok, but when i try to import it into RF i get an 'error finding texture file'. The texture is a 1024x1024 non compressed TGA in the same dir as the kex file, as it was when used as a texture in blender. I also tried looking at the nexstar blender demo, and it will not even make it through the converter - 0 bitmap files used.

So i was sondering if someone could point me in some direction to resolve the import problem. Maybe just a sample that will actually import that I can compare to. Once I see something positive in RF I hope to get motivated to go do more detailed modeling.
What version on of RealFlight might you be running?

Welcome BTW, have a good one!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM

RF 3.5.
I used the second KEMax listed on the downloads page.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked
Most likely the issue is the length of the filename for the texture. 3DS texture files are limited to 8.3 filenames maximum - anything longer will give you problems.

So make sure the filename is no longer than "12345678.tga" and you will be OK.

I have noticed some other apps such as Deep Exploration will rename and make a copy of your texture file automatically, but have not gone there with the script (yet).

Last edited by rayvel; 02-25-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 AM

I encountered the name length problem earlier on - so at this time my texture name is small - entice.tga.
Although I will admit there may be another older filename still in the blend file. It seems very difficult to get rid of references to unused files. I think I have them all out, but im not 100% sure.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 AM

In terms of the texture file used for export this is only the UV-texture. There is a material texture file you can set up in blender but that is ignored by the exporter.

I am not aware of any way to make the process less tedious determining, for each object, how all the faces are texture mapped and to which file. Though if you were texture mapping to multiple files you would instead get an error "Only 1 texture file supported" (or something close to that).

Could you verify you are using UV-mapping with texture file rather than the material texture? You need to go to UV-face select mode then have another window open to map each face to a part of the fle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: