Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky00
I find it quite amazing that we are limited to only 20,000 poly's as i believe some of the models in AFPD can have as many as 100,000 poly's in them.Why can they use soo many more than us?is it because the physics modelling in AFPD is much less processor intensive and they can get away with it more?Its an interesting topic for sure.If we could up the poly limit to 30,000 surely it wouldn't affect the FPS to much if the physics are kept as simple as possible.I am trying to model a reasonably scale Apache AH-64 at the moment and i am going to struggle to get all the detail i want in it.Shame really but you cant have it all.
From what I can tell, G3 doesn't seem to be CPU limited on a descent CPU, but mainly GPU limited - especially on 3D fields or on 2D fields with lots of depth buffer objects. Dunno exactly why this is the case, but I would assume the lack of a proper depth ordering/optimization (Octree/Portals/whatever) could be the cause. So most probably lots of pixels and zbuffer entries are not drawn once (or a few times), but several time, which is crippling the performance.
In photofields, this is augmented by the way that the depth buffer is created. While most surfaces could be defined by a two dimensional shape (e.g. a room's wall), G3 offers only 3D objects. Often multiple objects have to be arranged to approach a certain shape. Thus creation and checking of the depth buffer is slowed down.

About AFPD: the stock planes always looked pretty low poly to me. Then again, AFPD has only very basic 3D fields and no multiplayer option (with more than two players) AFAIK. There are also no complex 3D trees and it doesn't feature self shadowing. Also I guess the depth buffer in the photofields is not so prone to overlapping as the approach used in G3. So having one or two aircraft(s) in a photofield with a relatively simple depth buffer should indeed be less of a GPU burden.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 PM

RE: help

thanks for the info on making the different color schemes will hafta give this a try
using PSP XI have done many repaints for aircraft for a WW2 sim
Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 PM

help

what program do you use to make the aircraft cuz i want to make one so what program and where to get it plz!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 PM

here is blender
http://www.blender3d.org/

but from what i understand is the only way to get it into G4 sim is to have 3dmax and the KEX export plugin.

So guessing you could build one ,but someone with 3dmax would have to import your 3ds or obj then export the KEX file for you
Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 AM

Cool Any Other Reference Documents?

This is a nicely detailed reference document, but it's only good for those few RealFlight users that can design the aircrafts.

Are there any detailed reference documents for the airport and aircraft editors? If not, when will they make them?

I'd like to see a reference document for the aircraft editor first. It should contain a more detailed section for things like configuring elevons and other linked control surfaces, brakes, gyro, and other advanced functions.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:39 AM

"It's in the Manual" ....and the search bar....
....although G4 manual cut out a lot of info on aircraft editing that can still be found in the G3.5 manual:
Here are some starting points.
* Airport editing starts at the bottom of Page 40 in G4 manual, and continues on for a few more pages.
* Aircraft is briefly covered in G4 manual starting at page 113.
G3.5 manual has quite a bit more detail starting at page 116.
A more in-depth Editor forum discussion was done by Doug, and is still the best source of info, check his physics tutorial.
* Back to G3.5 manual, Gyro is discussed around page 239.

The info is out there, you just got to make an effort to find it.

Good Luck,
Frank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL
This is a nicely detailed reference document, but it's only good for those few RealFlight users that can design the aircrafts.

Are there any detailed reference documents for the airport and aircraft editors? If not, when will they make them?

I'd like to see a reference document for the aircraft editor first. It should contain a more detailed section for things like configuring elevons and other linked control surfaces, brakes, gyro, and other advanced functions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: