Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 05:46 PM

One thing that is all too common with computer controllers... we exert a LOT of force on them in normal use without knowing!

If you've ever played a good ( decently written, compelling story, high action ) video game, in the "heat" of a gun fight you can grip the controller tightly and push the sticks VERY hard w/o realizing you are doing so.

You would be less prone to do so with your real TX...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM

I have had both the G2 and G3 controllers and have never had one break. ( knock on wood ) If you were to open a Futaba radio you would also find a plastic gambit. The controller is no different. Yes there are some that can come from the Factory bad but as I have read many times in other threads, how long the controller last will also depend on how you treat it.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Not only has my second controller been DOA for a couple months now, but my email to tech support is being ignored - same duration.

Same as last time.

An, no, no extraordinary forces on the switch. Just a little, stupid plastic pin that breaks same place for many, many users.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohnchapman
Just a little, stupid plastic pin that breaks same place for many, many users.
I understand your frustration, but why do you speak for other customers? I don't doubt that it didn't break due to abuse, but this is not a problem with most users. Have you tried the email address for GreatPlanes support? Remember, KE can't help you with this problem. You're also better off to call support, instead of emailing them. They really are helpful, in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Not only has my second controller been DOA for a couple months now, but my email to tech support is being ignored - same duration.
Maybe because this is not the way to get the Interlink replaced/repaired??

Quote:
Same as last time.

An, no, no extraordinary forces on the switch. Just a little, stupid plastic pin that breaks same place for many, many users.
I've been using the G3 interlink AND the G4 interlink for years now.

Neither has broken on me.

If you take the number of users who post a problem with it breaking here, and multiply by 10 ( there is a ratio of 1 person who is vocal for every 10 who are not as with any industry.) then the ratio of problematic Interlinks versus sold units seems to be fairly low.

While you may have run into some bad luck, this is not the norm if the Interlink is treated like any TX.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Where can I buy just the controller ? ---Vernski
Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM

You can't.
Unless you buy a used copy, then now you have a spare set of backup discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski
Tower Hobbies has them.

www.towerhobbies.com

Hit Search and type in Realflight.

They come with some extra goodies too.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrank
You can't.
Unless you buy a used copy, then now you have a spare set of backup discs.
Yeah, phrank. Like opjose said: you don't have to settle for a used set of "backup" discs
Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM

LOL.

A used hardcopy copy is better than a softcopy.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Exclamation same problem.. kinda

yeah, i had the same problem, but mine is the official one ( i.e from the box came with the CD ), it was working fine then tonight I went to go use it and for some reason the right stick will pop back into place going up and down, but it won't go left to right and pop back, and it isn't controling the plane the way it shoudl when i move it right or left, only slightly to when I want to turn right and none when I turn right! Can I fix this myself at home, because my real foamie just like got all melted inside and the wiring started smoking.. but thats neither here nor there atm, I don't feel like boxing it and waiting for a new one to come after waiting for them to do it themselves when I could have done it in like 5 mine at home with a screwdriver and some super glue.. any help would be greatly appreciated! EDIT: BTW I've only had it for like a few months, and I havn't used it heavily, but once I was gonna start of course it breaks >.< oops it's actually g4.5 but it should still be the same problem.

Last edited by Adrolak; 09-10-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: forgot to add something...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 PM

I don't think anyone can stop you if you want to try to fix it at home. It's probably broken plastic and not a popped spring, though. I doubt you'd have much luck. It'd probably void your warranty. Your better off to contact tech support. http://gpsoftware.com/contacts.htm
Old 10-23-2009, 02:22 PM

Potentiometer Help

I had my controler hinge pin for the elevator stick break a couple months back so I drilled the gimbal housing and inserted a small rivet with CA and all has been fine. Now I noticed no throttle control. Upon inspection I noticed the Pot. has come apart. I tried to reafix the back with thick CA but it wont hold. Does anyone know the Ohm Value for this Pot? I tried some from Radio Shack and the values must be too low because it requires +- 270 degrees to get from idle to full throttle. Obviously the stick travel is +- 45 degrees. My existing one is broken to the point I cannot use it for the test.

Last edited by Lectrictech; 10-23-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM

That's a bummer. Have you tried calling tech support? http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22007
Old 10-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I have not called support yet. I figured I had voided the warrenty with the attempted repairs. Although I had a similar problem with a new JR 9303 during a pattern contest . We managed to repair temporarly the Ail. stick assembly so I could finish the day. JR properly repaired the gimbal with no questions asked. I never put any undue stress on the JR but I know that the RF Trans has fallen from the top of my computer tower case on to the carpet a few times. If I can get my hands on a Pot. with the correct values I will fix it myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: