Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 PM

I'm not 100% finished with the modeling for the PBY, but I wanted to import it to see if I could get the gear and floats working properly. Big thanks to dhk79 for sending me his CL-215 3ds file. That saved me a TON of trial and error.

The gear animation I'm about 80% happy with. Still needs some fine tuning and adjusting, but I can rest knowing it will work though.

The float animation......still having a bit of trouble with that. The actual "float" animation works perfectly..I'm running into problems with the upper "X" brace moving correctly (the two ends like to poke through the top of the wing while retracting) the lower "X" brace and the "actuating" rod all work perfectly. I'll keep plugging away at it......I might have to ask for some assistance later possibly.

Here's some shots of it in G4

~Gear and floats down.

~Gear down floats retracted.

~Floating in the water with gear retracted and floats extended.

I still plan on adding some minor details to the aircraft.....but that can all be done later. For example I plan to add more scoops, vents etc. onto the engine nacelles, antennas on the fuse and so on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PBY-5A (24).jpg (339.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg PBY-5A (25).jpg (339.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg PBY-5A (26).jpg (207.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 PM

IT FLOATS!!!!! Good job!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 PM

that thing is COOL. cantb whait to get it.

pplace thanks for taking the time to build this

iflyinanh

Go vodoo go
Argonaut GRRR
Whoo 300 posts
Cool
Most Questions answered
Folow me on twitter

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Another "extreme" aircraft from pplace!! Just awesome!!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace
I'm running into problems with the upper "X" brace moving correctly (the two ends like to poke through the top of the wing while retracting).
Moveable pods have three positions (Min, Max, & Center) so set the animation sequence using the 3-position switch, and you can define a mid point for the rotation, and it doesn't have to be "mid" way through the whole rotation or at the same spot for all parts either. For example the X brace could swing faster during the first part of the retract cycle, so that it doesn't poke through (or slower, without seeing your animation I don't know which is needed). After you're happy, change the input back to the retract switch and it'll still cycle the same way.

It is also possible to have one part of the assembly move completely before another even starts. I did this with the gear on the C-5. That's how it was able to sequence and turn inward before swinging up.

Last edited by dhk79; 04-17-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Doug. I actually have the floats on the 3-pos switch right now, so I'll check it out and tweak it some more later tonight. If I get too lost or confused I'll probably come running to you.

Edit: I just experimented with what you mentioned. It helped a ton....but I still get the top brace poking out the tip of the wing now (much better than out the top surface) I'll keep working on it to see if I can get it perfect. Thanks again

Last edited by pplace; 04-17-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Yeah, it takes some playing with and sometimes now matter how hard you fiddle it still isn't perfect.

If you slow the retract servo speed way down on the CL-215 and zoom into watching the A-Frame retract strut, you"ll see one point where the center hinge comes apart slightly and then goes back together. I fought with that for nearly a full day, before deciding it was as good as I could get it (and no one actually flying the plane would ever be able to see it anyway).
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Looking great!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to futuramafreak30
Gogogogogogogogo Finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Fantastic work there. I have so much to learn!! I love it!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:25 PM

Worked some more on the motion of the X-Brace and Floats.....I'm about 93.7% satisfied with it at the moment. I have it on the 3-pos. switch (as this was the best option) plus I always see pictures of the PBY's parked with the floats partially retracted or deployed....so this will give you the option to "park" the floats halfway retracted.

There are a couple minor things I still want to improve upon for the floats....but if I am unable to improve them, I'll still be satisfied with the outcome.

Next mission is to fine tune and tweak the landing gear.

I did take a couple short recordings of the float and gear action last night...but wasn't sure how that works when others view the recording? Do they have to position the view to look at the model also? I was in "walk" mode and was standing by the model when I recorded. I went back and played my own recording last night....then standing in the pilot spawn and the model was on the other end of the runway. If anyone is interested in viewing the recordings let me know, and I'll post them here.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Not RF or PBY related but just wanted to show what has been taking away some time from my PBY project. Every 2 1/2 year old boy needs a matching car to their dads right?? Picked up one of those "Power Wheels" mustangs at Walmart....tore it apart and made a close match to my car. Gave it to him today so he could start to wreck it!haha

Attached are a couple pictures next to the "full scale", alone, being driven by my son......and the first (and not last) crash of the day, with my nephew watching on....and dad coming to the rescue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMmustang1.jpg (143.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg CMmustang2.jpg (146.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg CMmustang3.jpg (279.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg CMmustang4.jpg (224.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg CMmustang5.jpg (254.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace
Not RF or PBY related but just wanted to show what has been taking away some time from my PBY project. Every 2 1/2 year old boy needs a matching car to their dads right?? Picked up one of those "Power Wheels" mustangs at Walmart....tore it apart and made a close match to my car. Gave it to him today so he could start to wreck it!haha

Attached are a couple pictures next to the "full scale", alone, being driven by my son......and the first (and not last) crash of the day, with my nephew watching on....and dad coming to the rescue.
Thats cool, soon your son will want to race his dad.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Just a note to keep anyone interested updated on the progress:

I've fiddled and tweaked some more with the gear and float animations and have them pretty darn good. I've been slowly working on the actual flight physics lately...and will soon finish up the little modeling details then be ready for mapping and the CS soon. I've just been having too much fun flying and using this project "as is"
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 PM

Looking forward to the finished model!

And, BTW that was a very cool present for your son. Nice job!

Carl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: