Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 AM

editing planes

how do I add stuff like engines to one of the defualt planes. Cus atm all i can do is add the engine ext but how come I cant see it?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM

You cannot change the appearance of a model, unless you have access to the original 3D file. All you can change is the performance.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:56 PM

yup ...
you can add say.... 5 wings and ten engines for example and it will still "look" the same
how ever the physics will change
and it will fly( or maybe not at all) as if it had 5 wings and ten engines
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 PM

bit more to add

Just to say the same thing differently.

Just remember that the Aircraft Editor is for changing the Models "FLIGHT PHYSICS" Only. So it will fly faster if you add more engines and weigh more. If you add really BIG tires it will cause more drag, and so on

The only other aspect you can change is the paint job.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Can I create a model for RealFlight totally free using Wings 3d and required export files, paint program, ect?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Your question has been answered by numerous people already.

TN..
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Its a bit fragmented and hard to piece together sometimes. There is also a lot of conflicting information. I'll work on my credentials by self study instead of agitating you advanced users/engineers.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM

There's a sticky on the top of the forums that goes into this as well.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Belt CP V2

Sorry for posting it here.Can someone plse create a Belt CP v2 red and blue colour. I ordered one and would like to practise on G4.5. Or at least tell me where I can get a sim model exept fot the e sky sim...thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Question Running Lights

Iím new to RF but am enjoying it very much. Since I am a long time retired Naval Aviator, with thousands of hours in the Scooter (A-4 Skayhawk), I have set up an aircraft carrier with lights and meatball. The A-4 from expansion pack 5 has lights and I am able to make night carrier landings (most of the time successful). I would like to do the same with the A-7 Corsair II and the FA-18 which I downloaded from the swap pages, but neither have visible lights. How can I add them to these aircraft?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 AM

Arrow RealFlight shader for 3dsMax

Hi!

Everytime I want to create a new aircraft, I have this same nasty problem that I can't figure out how the texture will look like in RealFlight.
For sure, it's possible to simply model and map the aircraft in Max and then, design the texture when the object is imported in RealFlight. not very handy actually!
Many designers here will agree that a beautiful chrom- or even metallic-effect is sometime hard to get right for RealFlight without a "metal"-shader

I searched everywhere on this forum, on internet, almost everywhere I can imagine, if a DirectX-shader exists that simulates in Max the rendering of RealFlight.
Impossible to find anything! It would be nice that RF-Creators give such a (.fx) file for download on the KE-Max page.

I spent a little bit time with understanding the shaders in Max and made this shader self instead. This is a very simple shader, with the possibility to add the 3 maps used by RealFlight (diffuse map with alpha channel, normal map, specular map) linked together with a kind of RealFlight logic.
Simply import your 3 TGA-maps and a square DDS-picture for the Cubemap (e.g. 512x512) and that's it! Your model in Max with real-time reflection, normals and specular.

For sure, this is just a temporary solution, but it looks really near to the RealFlight rendering, and is a good help

Unpack the zip-file into your 32bit 3dsmax-folder. In the material editor, select "Direct-X material" and load the "RealFlight.fx" shader.
When your model looks great, use the same glossiness and specular settings with a standard material because you can't export your plane to KEX when it has DirectX shaders.

I hope this will help you as much as it helps me...

Lex
Attached Images
File Type: gif MaterialEditor.gif (55.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Viewport.jpg (280.0 KB, 72 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3dsMax RF shader.zip (6.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by ViennaLex76; 04-08-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Adding to Viennalex's reply, I have some CS's I've made in Photoshop CS4 extended and it has a filter for lighting effects. You just slide the slider bar over from plastic to metallic. I have some REALLY brilliant results ranging from chrome highlights to a totally blinged out Ion-X canopy with chrome, gold, copper, bronze, metallic blue and even brushed metal.

I would love it if I could add lights though.

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Smile Recolor

I was wondering, I'm new to the color schemes, how would I take the Extra 300 paint scheme and convert it to work with the Edge 540? I love the paint scheme I downloaded for the Extra BA, however, I want to convert it to the edge 540 because it's a more accurate model for what I'm flying.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM

You can't transfer a scheme from one plane to another. You'd have to remake it.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Ok, that's what I wondered, thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: