Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM

CH-54 / (S-64) Skycrane -- AKA my very second 3DS Max project.

Well, I'm not even finished with the B-58 Hustler and I already have my next project lined up. I'm not starting this until my Hustler is finished being modelled, but I'm already starting my round of extensive research. I've been wanting a model of this helicopter in Realflight ever since I knew Realflight existed.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/jon_ruehle/ch-54/

I'll see these things fly overhead on occasions and there is no other sound like the noise it's engines put out. In a single word "Awesome."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ch-54_05_of_13.jpg (361.1 KB, 48 views)

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Its great to see another person taking the plunge into modelling,i hope your first project goes well and if you need any info or help just ask away.You sure do like jumping in the deep end though as helis take quite abit of setting up.I remember the fun i had when i made my first heli.Good luck
PSU - Corsair HX1000i
CPU - Intel i7-5820K @ 3.3Ghz
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 AIO Liquid Cooler
RAM - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3466Mhz)
GPU - Gigabyte Geforce GTX980ti G1 Gaming 6Gb GDDR5
SSD - Samsung Evo850 500Gb & OCZ Agility3 240Gb
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint 1Tb
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2Tb x 2
OS - Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit)
CASE LIGHTS - NZXT Hue LED controller
Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 PM

This is actually my 3rd model and not the second. I made the E-Flite 4 Site Micro yesterday, but I can't get it imported into RF to test it out. I just can't get the plugin to load up eventhough I followed the instructions and changed my .ini file. I'll get that worked out, but I got this much done in the past hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Crane.jpg (148.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Air Crane side.jpg (131.3 KB, 32 views)

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.

Last edited by mwilson914; 05-08-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Matt, you seem to have super human learning skills. I'm starting to suspect that you have secretly been building models for competing sims for years. Or for the conspiracy theorist out there, is this the gib in mwilson clothing? You go guy!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914
I just can't get the plugin to load up eventhough I followed the instructions and changed my .ini file.
Therein lies the problem, you followed the convoluted instructions that make little sense. After you run the "installation" program, you'll find a new directory structure with the KnifeEdge plugin (kemax.dle) in it. As a systems engineer, I have always found it annoying to have a second plugin directory structure when the program for which the plugin is for already has one.

So keeping with the concept of cleaner is better, move the kemax.dle file to the plugins subdirectory of Max (amazing that it was there all the time and guess what, it was put there for plugins). Now edit your plugin.ini file to read:

[Help]
mental ray 3.5 Reference=C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\help\mr_reference.chm
[Directories]
KE MAX plug-ins=C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\plugins
;=;

Note that I'm using Max ver. 9 on a 64 bit OS, so your file may be slightly different, but it is the bold line that matters and you only have to be aware that a 32 bit OS will not have the (x86) after Program Files.

Doug
Old 05-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to flexible Send a message via AIM to flexible
Doug, this should be a sticky, I had trouble, and I see this come up over and over again.

Wings 3D for dummies
Mapping in Wings 3D for Dummies
Pivots in Max for Dummies
Linking the Hierarchy in Max for Dummies
Old 05-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td9cowboy
Matt, you seem to have super human learning skills. I'm starting to suspect that you have secretly been building models for competing sims for years. Or for the conspiracy theorist out there, is this the gib in mwilson clothing? You go guy!
I wish it came as easy to me as you think it does. I am just fiercely persistant and stubborn. I am trying a new approach with the skycrane too. My first two models were more puzzle peiced together whereas this heli, I am going to try to make the majority of the body by extruding faces, polys and edges. This heli started out this morning from a single spline. i did boolean the front contour but the rest of the body is extrusion shaped.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM

I just got the question about the gib in mwilson clothing. He did actually give me a few pointers which were of significant help, but I also give those youtube videos and my 3D Studio Max book a fair amount of appreciation. I also run through the steps I plan on taking on my projects from the time i wake up till i go to bed. Needless to say the wife isn't too interested in what i have to talk about. I can't even begin to think how much additional time i could have to dedicate on my hobbies if I was still single. depressed again...

Old 05-08-2010, 04:43 PM

I am just fiercely persistant and stubborn. Those are the same attributes that make you a good heli pilot. I don't know if you have taken the time to look around, but we are busy cooking up some pretty cool enhancements for this machine on the other thread about it. Are you also a pioneer?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td9cowboy
... Are you also a pioneer?
I believe I am. I'll go in on these ideas on my model. Once I get far enough along I don't mind handing a .3ds over to you guys either. There are several different variations I would like to support for this model, but if others would like to have the actual model to work with to create their own, I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

We'll talk more about it. I'm planning on adding some of my detail work for the E-Flite 4 Site Micro into the parts repository thread. I'm putting a large amount of detail into the electronics and with as many models in the real world which utilize these AR6400 BRICKS and linear servos, why not make it for everyone to enjoy. I've even detailed the battery and connector and would gladly throw that out for everyone to use.

I model for the fun of it and nothing else. The more resources us modelers share with each other the more fun we can have building a larger selection of things to fly. I have received the vast majority of my 3DS Max knowledge from online sources and a book that I had to buy 13 years ago for my 3D Studio Max class. It's finally getting some use, but it doesn't get into a lot of detail for working examples, but explains the differences in operation and functionality of the tools.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 PM

I've sent Jim Bourke a couple of PMs about the concept of actually having the ability to move objects around in Realflight's current configuration. I am currently awaiting a reply. If it is possible I'm hoping he will share some insight here that will help some adventurous modeler to test the concept in a simple form. If this turns out to be even half as much fun as I envision it to be, it could become quite popular. Looking down the road...Realflight now with Realfreight! This might also inspire someone to create a device(shouldn't be much more than a hook and serrvo) for your real model so you can do this in the yard. Think Verti-bird on steroids! If it works, I can see building a few movable airport objects would be a great place to start your modeling hobby before attempting a flying EA. The possibilities seem endless. In fact it may even inspire me to dip my toes in the water!

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-10-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Apart from the idea of being able to dynamically interact with 3D objects via lifting or towing, an incredible addition to the simulator would be the ability to define targeted axis linear motion. Currently the only way to move anything on an aircraft is by pivot points defined in the aircraft editor.

If a future release/version of RealFlight incorporated a means of linear movement, it would introduce a far easier method to define complex landing gears for example, or to move the air restriction cone of a turbine engine. (<--I'm not looking up the correct term this second.) Maybe these effects provide mostly visual candy to the models and that pivots can take care of the necessary tasks well enough, but say if you want to shift CG on a model you would no longer need to define a pivot point 10 or 30 feet outside of the model to get an approximate linear path.

I wonder if there is some design limitation with the software, or any other reason why linear motion cannot be user defined.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM

I've in fact started a little testing of my own. I've spent a pretty good little bit of time trying to hook a skid under the top of the interactive sign at Joes garage to see if I can pick up one side and maybe turn it over. It's pretty challenging even in chase view. The sign is large in scale for even a trex 600 size heli and KE probably gave it some weight so it wouldn't blow around but the interactive objects seem like the right place to look for something to be moved. Back at it! I need a hook right below the main shaft and a scaled down sign. Phrank?

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-10-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914
you would no longer need to define a pivot point 10 or 30 feet outside of the model to get an approximate linear path.
That's a helluva thought, ain't it, td9cowboy?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:55 PM

You guys must be PMing about this Great minds think alike. Just glad to see someone besides me racking their brains.

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: