Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
mwilson914's Avatar
mwilson914 mwilson914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 2,112
I just thought of a very cool application for the scissor joint/linear motion for a scale aircraft. A working telescoping refueling nozzle for a KC-135 or KC-97 Stratotanker. Now if only we could actually refuel the aircraft.

Afterall, at the field I often have someone refuel my aircraft from an RC aircraft.....All the time I say.
__________________
http://mwilson914.jimdo.com

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
td9cowboy's Avatar
td9cowboy td9cowboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,206
If we had cable or rope could that not be used to deploy it as a winch. Is that Skycrane done yet caveman?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
mwilson914's Avatar
mwilson914 mwilson914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by td9cowboy
If we had cable or rope could that not be used to deploy it as a winch. Is that Skycrane done yet caveman?
No it's not done. I haven't done anymore to it yet from my last post with pics. I wanted to have a finished model on the swaps this week and would have had one for tonight, but I lost 3 days worth of work on the Micro 4 Site thanks to a destructive 3 year old. He also took apart our car charger for our phones and we can't find the parts.
__________________
http://mwilson914.jimdo.com

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
td9cowboy's Avatar
td9cowboy td9cowboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,206
I bet you're considering offering him up for adoption

Here this should help calm you down, remind you of anyone?
IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET??

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-12-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
mwilson914's Avatar
mwilson914 mwilson914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by td9cowboy
I bet you're considering offering him up for adoption

Here this should help calm you down, remind you of anyone?
IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET??
Nah. I don't know if it was him really or the cats. They'll jump up on my desk and walk on the keyboard sometimes. The best is when they step on the reset button on my power strip. I've had that happen more times than I can count. I'll have the door shut and my wife will open it up to ask me something and the cat RUNS into the room and happens to get under my desk and step right on that glowing button before I can catch it.

That has happened more than once and that day my wife was asking me why I actually need the door shut because she felt like I was excluding myself from the rest of the family. Before she could start on her next sentence that happened and I lost 3 hours worth of work on a really nice colorscheme. I never restarted that color scheme because I get so PO'd thinking about it.

The best part is I took an old T-REX canopy package and modified it to go over the power strip and it worked wonders until one day my computer goes dark and I feel the cat pawing at my knee. My box was gone! The wife took it and put it in with the recycables while I was at work. I asked her about it and told her what happened again to another thing I was working on for RF. She just kinda found it amusing as she asked why that stuff always seems to happen to me. This is the point where I start slamming my head repeatedly into a wall.
__________________
http://mwilson914.jimdo.com

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM
jeffpn's Avatar
jeffpn jeffpn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 18,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914
This is the point where I start slamming my head repeatedly into a wall.
I know the feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM
td9cowboy's Avatar
td9cowboy td9cowboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,206
Me being the cat lover that I am, I would suggest a burlap bag and a rock and, "Honey, have you seen the cats?"

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-12-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM
flexible's Avatar
flexible flexible is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: na
Posts: 2,263
Send a message via ICQ to flexible Send a message via AIM to flexible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914
Nah. I don't know if it was him really or the cats. They'll jump up on my desk and walk on the keyboard sometimes. The best is when they step on the reset button on my power strip. I've had that happen more times than I can count. I'll have the door shut and my wife will open it up to ask me something and the cat RUNS into the room and happens to get under my desk and step right on that glowing button before I can catch it.

That has happened more than once and that day my wife was asking me why I actually need the door shut because she felt like I was excluding myself from the rest of the family. Before she could start on her next sentence that happened and I lost 3 hours worth of work on a really nice colorscheme. I never restarted that color scheme because I get so PO'd thinking about it.

The best part is I took an old T-REX canopy package and modified it to go over the power strip and it worked wonders until one day my computer goes dark and I feel the cat pawing at my knee. My box was gone! The wife took it and put it in with the recycables while I was at work. I asked her about it and told her what happened again to another thing I was working on for RF. She just kinda found it amusing as she asked why that stuff always seems to happen to me. This is the point where I start slamming my head repeatedly into a wall.
May I interject, time to take five to get a plan on how to prevent these things from takeing controll.
__________________
Fly it like it is made out of rubber
Victory or Death
"Ineptocracy"

Wings 3D for dummies
Mapping in Wings 3D for Dummies
Pivots in Max for Dummies
Linking the Hierarchy in Max for Dummies
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
dhk79's Avatar
dhk79 dhk79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,399
LOL, OK this is only slightly out of context since the topic of cats around computers was being discussed.

Here is a shot of a very great temptation that took nearly every ounce of restraint I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00062.jpg (159.0 KB, 39 views)
__________________
- Knowing why ten things will not work is more important than not knowing why one does.
Doug's Project List
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
td9cowboy's Avatar
td9cowboy td9cowboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,206
Doug you paralyzed me
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
flexible's Avatar
flexible flexible is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: na
Posts: 2,263
Send a message via ICQ to flexible Send a message via AIM to flexible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk79
LOL, OK this is only slightly out of context since the topic of cats around computers was being discussed.

Here is a shot of a very great temptation that took nearly every ounce of restraint I had.
We have Bob cats in Texas, why not Arz.? hehe
__________________
Fly it like it is made out of rubber
Victory or Death
"Ineptocracy"

Wings 3D for dummies
Mapping in Wings 3D for Dummies
Pivots in Max for Dummies
Linking the Hierarchy in Max for Dummies
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM
td9cowboy's Avatar
td9cowboy td9cowboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,206
We are going to get Matt fired if he reads this at the office!
When I spotted Doug's picture I wasn't able to breathe for a full six and a half minutes. I couldn't possibly have resisted!

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-12-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
dhk79's Avatar
dhk79 dhk79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,399
Here's a couple of test files to check out this concept, as I'm not a good enough heli pilot to do it myself.

Load this airport with this heli. Get into a hover and try out the knob control. From that point, you should be able to figure out what to do.

Post any results and/or cool screenshots here.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Lift Heli_EA.RFX (1.88 MB, 25 views)
File Type: rfx Lift Test_AP.RFX (358.2 KB, 19 views)
__________________
- Knowing why ten things will not work is more important than not knowing why one does.
Doug's Project List

Last edited by dhk79; 05-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
mwilson914's Avatar
mwilson914 mwilson914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 2,112
Cool. I'll take a look at those files tonight.

The problem with the cats and the power strip issue actually have been taken care of, but the first couple months we had the cats it was more of an issue. It's blocked now and my wife is aware now of my means of protection.

I really don't know what happened yesterday and I really don't care too much at this point. I'm looking forward to getting that project done still, and the skycrane! Yes back on subject!

I'll actually do some work tonight on the Sky Crane. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done, but I'll work on it until I am ready to play in the sim. I'm definitely going to have two or three versions of this heli, that will actually be visually different. One will be as the first picture I have shown and another will have the large tank on the under/inside of the fuselage. I know I've seen another different variant, but not sure if what I'm thinking of consists of more than just alterations, but entirely new fuselage designs, which I won't get into.
__________________
http://mwilson914.jimdo.com

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 PM
mwilson914's Avatar
mwilson914 mwilson914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn
I know the feeling.
Oh, I know you do. You are in the telecom industry as well, right? I'm in engineering and some of the people leave you looking for nice solid brick wall to buddy up with.
__________________
http://mwilson914.jimdo.com

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.