Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible
Let me shed some light on the direction my mind is wandering in.
On the out side, pick 1, the object appears to be solid, but as modelers know, when you stick you're head inside an object, it is not solid, pick2.
I would like to see some one make a test object, that has been intruded from the bottom, pick3. Before you intrude, you can only select faces on the outside, because the faces don't exist on the inside of an object. However, when you intrude, two things you will notice. The first is you can now select faces on both sides of an object; the second thing you will notice is the polie count doubles.
This does not make the face solid, it simply add inner faces. I think when you stick the hook through a face; it has little or no strength. To have strength, you need to lift against the outside of the edge/object. Further the strength factor is only part of strength, the other part is weight. Leading me to think that the area to be used to lift with must necessarily have some weight, in order to have strength.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=10169
This is what happens with no weight and no strength.
I'm glad that you have taken an interest in the project, keep those gears turning up there. All input is helpful. If you or some other designer come with an idea for a stronger hook or object that can be imported, post it, I'll certainly have a go with it. Nobody's feelings are going to be hurt if you come up with a better system. We are all pioneering here. No one knows what the final outcome will be. You are certainly welcome to play with us.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM

This isn't the money shot yet. This is just to let you guys see what all the fuss is about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1273795006.jpg (243.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-18-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:21 AM

I'll be working on the Sky Crane again real soon. Sorry the Micro 4 Site has taken so much of my time. I was shocked to see how the polys doubled when exporting over to RF. I'm rethinking the B-58 and much of my 4 Site now. I'll have to do more work but check this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1273814316.jpg (155.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg E-Flite 4 Micro 4 Site-5-13-2010.jpg (267.5 KB, 36 views)

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymike21
That looks sweet!
Thanks. I actually meant to post my E-Flight up date in my other thread last night. LOL. Oh well, these are both of my threads so I'll allow it.

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 PM

what ever happen to the post with the skycrain lifts that you can download with the 4 armed lift

Last edited by fender1; 05-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 PM

look i got dhk79's lift heli to fly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1274222588.jpg (141.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Ok....now how about a screen shot with dhk's weight hanging on the hook

The lifting devise is in a different thread http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...43&postcount=2

Last edited by td9cowboy; 05-18-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 PM

I need to get a move on with this heli. I feel bad you guys are still pounding away at theselifting devices and I am fooling around with other models.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914
I need to get a move on with this heli. I feel bad you guys are still pounding away at theselifting devices and I am fooling around with other models.
It's been a fun experiment. Don't worry about me, I'm having fun. I am looking forward to your sky crane though. If you can get it to hover real stable and have some huge lifting power like what it was designed for, i think it will be a ton of fun. Who am I kidding? HURRY UP!!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 AM

I just had a six foot high lift that started swaying back and forth and fell off the hook while I was trying to get to the TAB key!! I am sooo close!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Besides working and playing with the para-gliders yesterday, I worked on this heli for a couple hours yesterday. This was actually the first model of the day that got attention. I am not at my PC today so I can't do anymore work during the day at all, nor can I post pics of my current progress. I can however keep you in suspense....

I am at the point right now of working on the engines and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about refining the shape of the cockpit. Since this model is being formed differently than the other models I've put together, I'm not quite sure the best method of smoothing it out to look the way it should. If I can't move forward with the current fuselage, then I'll ask for help, or just build a new fuselage. Either of those methods have worked for me in the past. LOL.

I'm kind of thinking the way I chose to form this fuselage is more trouble than it's worth. I booleaned out the overall shape, so there are a lot of vertex points all over the entire nose. It may actually be less of a problem than I predict, but since I can't work on my PC right now I can only think about it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM

I came through today on my promise. I got more progress done that is actually noticable. Have a look for yourselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skycrane-progress.jpg (19.1 KB, 51 views)

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914
I came through today on my promise. I got more progress done that is actually noticable. Have a look for yourselves.

WOW!!!

thi is a great job.

only Scale Heli
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 AM

It is now possible to move stuff around with a heli and here's the proof!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1275450403.jpg (173.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 AM

Great job.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: