Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 PM

It's not a midget version it's a 60 inch wing span. I don't think they would ever come much larger than that for this model anyways.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Bigger is better

It is a beautiful piece of work. The detail really shows when it is bigger.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Are you scaling the physics and resetting weights and balances when you upsize models?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Bigger

Quote:
Are you scaling the physics and resetting weights and balances when you upsize models?
I am not going to up size anymore models for the swap pages without the designers OK. Youse guys are really sensitive, but you are also very talented, and give a lot to the members here. I will stay out of the way.

I If I do a big one, I will do my best to make sure it flies right. Every plane I have posted flew great on my computer. Some of those models did not transfer correctly to the swap pages because I was saving file names the wrong way.

Anyway, the picture above is just a photoshop exercise.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 PM

The swap pages are there for anybody to upload. That said, even if I weren't making models, I'd prefer that only quality files were uploaded. If you can make them fly properly, post away! You don't need my permission to use my file.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn
The swap pages are there for anybody to upload. That said, even if I weren't making models, I'd prefer that only quality files were uploaded. If you can make them fly properly, post away! You don't need my permission to use my file.
I feel exactly the same way. Far be it from me to tell you what to do. I only commented out of curiosity. Frankly I'm glad that you enjoy some form of file sharing.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Bigger Models

Quote:

Thanks Jeff. I can make them fly. Sometimes they might go a little too fast, but anybody that doesn't like that can back off the throttle. After you helped me figure out where I was screwing up with the naming of my files, I went back and found several more files I had posted with the same mistake (renamed while importing instead of renaming in the airplane editor). I have deleted those files. Anyway, a model like Boof's Kaos deserves to stand alone for a spell.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847
Anyway, a model like Boof's Kaos deserves to stand alone for a spell.
A shot at me, considering when you posted your Executive AV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847
After you helped me figure out where I was screwing up with the naming of my files, I went back and found several more files I had posted with the same mistake (renamed while importing instead of renaming in the airplane editor).
I wonder why nobody noticed!?!?!

And a shot at you!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Spartan

Quote:
A shot at me, considering when you posted your Executive AV!
No not a shot at you. I got so excited while you were modeling the Spartan I couldn't wait to make a big model.

Quote:
I wonder why nobody noticed!?!?!
There were some hints that I got but didn't understand. When I posted the big AirBoss one rater talked about how the prop was way too small. There were a couple of other things I can't recall now. I thought that the model settings might be changing as fliers with different versions of RealFlight downloaded the model.

Last edited by andy29847; 08-18-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to flexible Send a message via AIM to flexible
I noticed!

Wings 3D for dummies
Mapping in Wings 3D for Dummies
Pivots in Max for Dummies
Linking the Hierarchy in Max for Dummies
Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM

This is one of the best models I've seen on the swaps in awhile. There are lots of really great things on this. I do see a couple things my perfectionist eye is catching... there is one spot at the wing tip where it meets the fuselage that a color bleeds through onto the fuselage... it is tiny but there. Seems to only be there on the right side. Servos "free-float" in the wing stringers so it looks like they are just black boxes and do not have a brand on the CS... anything will work... even "boof69" brand. PLane had a very stong tendency to tip stall on heavy elevator which indicates tail-heavy... Looked at tail and seemed a little heavy at 3oz. per side so I reduced to 2. V-stab seemed heavy as well... reduced to 2.25. Flew better with no tendency to tip stall. Looked at the motor setup.. thought it strange that the helical and prop wash were severely reduced. Put back to 100%. Also thought it was strange that the "custom engine" had its torque reduced to 50%. Put back and that was a mistake. Something is up there or I missed something discussed here. Weights were adjusted and airfoils seemed reasonable. It still did not "moosh" in the air that I would expect a model of this design to do. I set all stall severity to %65 and that seems right. I would have thought that more would be needed but 65% seems right.

Just my thoughts. Really a wonderful model. I'll enjoy it for some time!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the constructive critisizms. I originally had this model flying a bit more docile, but the few that test flew it before release commented on it being underpowered and that it was a pattern flyer in RL so I boosted the power and reset the throws.
As for the tip stall condition its more of a product of a roll coupling issue. If elevator throw is increased its very pronounced.
Tail heavy is not the problem. If anything its always been nose heavy which is why I introduced some incedence in the H-stab and a bit of trim on the elevator. I made the engine mods to get the plane to fly the way the few people that test flew it wanted it to.
I think the color bleed that your seeing is intentional shading I applied. Its all over the model actually its just abit darker there. Its known as ambient occlusion or (AO)
I took off the servo tabs to steal polys for other more visible areas. The idea is that maybe the tabs are below the surface of the covering.(it was a concession).

The AV is the area I am the least skilled and confident. I'm glad through all the concerns that you still like this one.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:44 PM

No biggie

FWIW, when I grow the Kaos to 251% and 125mph (level flight), the vertical stab comes off if I use the rudder (even with vert stab strength set at 1500). This model may be safe from disfiguration.

Last edited by andy29847; 08-20-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Kaos 251

I figured out how to keep the rudder on...

Last edited by andy29847; 08-21-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Nice color scheme.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: