Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Designing Airports - Tips and Tricks

I don't know if there is anything similar to the intent of this thread. I would like to create a place for an on-going discussion of techniques used to create photo and 3D fields.

If you have a technique, tip or trick, please write about it here.

Try to keep the topic limited to this (Yeah Right!).

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 12-08-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Depth Buffers - Folder Needed

One thing that puzzled me as I was setting up grass buffers at the edge of my new photo airfield was seeing where the buffers were and then hiding them.

You have to create a folder and put all the buffers into that folder...then use the following property to toggle hiding or displaying them; "Force Children to render to depth buffer". Toggling the folder's setting will turn on and off each individual object.

Some of the primitives (Cube, Cylinder, etc.) have their own similar render property, you can still use a folder to control a group of similar objects. Each objects "Render to Depth Buffer" property needs to be turned off in order to inherit the property from the folder.

Some of these objects are desired to be displayed on screen. For example, I use the cube primitive as a landing target in my heli fields, thus the need to set the property for individual objects.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 12-08-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Size of Panoramic Photo

The maximum size that I used to be able to import was 5000 x 10000 pixels. The raw size of the picture I am using in the latest field is; 21,482 x 9,566. That is a huge jump and the field picture quality has really jumped.

What pano head, camera and software are you using for the photos?

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 12-08-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 AM

I guess that I am just talking to myself in here. I do think this topic belongs here.

I wish the depth buffer items allowed true sizing rather than scaling. For example; rather than having to put three each 3x3x0.3 wall buffers together you could just set the wall size at 9x3x0.3 or what ever dimensions you wish.

Same with the cube, and the house... I am sure that there are others. I don't know how hard that would be to accomplish.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM

You are wrong about this belonging here, it belongs in a sticky. I will be using this information to bring my local field into RF. That increase in resolution is awesome! It's paved and has taxiways right to the pits behind the paved flight line. You have to be on your game to stay on the taxiways, great taxi practice. The layout is better than any field in RF. I wish I could afford to have it professionally done, it's that good! I know, the driveways and parking in the overhead look like they were laid out by a wine o, I'm working on that too. You're not alone here. I'm interested in every minute detail of the process and any tip that is offered up. The two circles on the first shot is the control line area. 440X 40 runway. There's even a good sized pond for float flying with a dock and shelter, but that's another pano.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wingmasters 1.jpg (317.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Wingmasters 2.jpg (309.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Wingmasters3.jpg (258.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Wingmasters4.jpg (200.7 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by td9cowboy; 12-14-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Professional Panoramas

I have learned so much about shooting panoramic scenes. It really takes a nice pano head, tripod and camera to make such a picture. When it is done, it is awesome.

Don't forget the software to stitch things together. To do this right take a bit of time and lurning.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 12-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 PM

We have a little over a hundred members in the club. Most of them own a digital camera. I own an older Minolta 35mm SLR with an array of lenses and and a small Sony pocket size 12 megapixel digital. What am I looking for to get the best results? This needs to be a high quality low bucks operation. I can't justify dropping a grand on equipment for such a limited use. I'm assuming a high quality Digital SLR is going to get the nod.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 PM

I bet the key is in that pano head. I bet my iPhone would do a decent job. I think a 12 megapixel point and shoot would do a fine job if we had someone who knew how to do it. I'll make Nooner a baloney sandwich lunch, you make him your finest chicken leg dinner, and we'll both treat him to the USAF museum?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM

Well, if you can't find a pano rig locally, I can send you one of my Nodal Ninjas to borrow.
Looks like it could be a real nice field.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 PM

It's a gorgeous field! But we can't tell KE that. They'll think we're biased. It's every bit as good as any photofield they've provided for us already. I did a mockup of it way back in G2. Built it out of 3D objects.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 AM

That's a very generous offer to loan out the pano head Phrank, Thank you. I went to their website and they have a lot of helpful information there. This seems to be the key to the project. Since KE upped the resolution, I wonder if I make a high resolution pano it will only work in RF6 or the other versions as well? One more question for someone with RF experience. The pond has about a ten foot rise behind the dock I plan to shoot from. The shelter in the google earth shot is actually dug into the slope on the back side. Do you think that is going to cause any issues? I'm guessing it's forty five feet behind the dock. The terrain on the other side of the pond is flat.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 AM

I've done a few fields where there are drops or uneven terrain with poor results.
There isn't really any hilltop capability to Photofields, and it is something that is really needed. (6.5 or Seven?)

Raised areas are fine.

Find a spot that is mainly flat.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:45 AM

I should be good in both areas then,Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Wouldn't you want to shoot the pics from one of the pilot stations? That's where you stand when you fly. That's the perspective you'd want, isn't it?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Chicken Dinner? Did you Say Chicken Dinner?

Tell you what... A 12 mpxl digital camera is fine. The pano head is critical. No pano, no panoramic. You have a bit of lurning (sp) to do to get the picture taken without paralex. I hope he has the 30mm offset plate for the nodal ninja... If not, I can loan that to you.

So here's the deal... you get the pictures taken and I will process it through ptgui for free. You can download ptgui trial edition and get things right... but the picture will contain watermarks all over the place... I will save you about $120 in purchasing the software. The nodal ninja people think that is the best software for doing what we want to do. I would recommend it. The finished project is better than the sample version produces. The sample version will get you going.

This is not going to be something that you run out and do one time.. I shot my pictures in portrait mode, two rows, 30 degrees per picture... but this varies with cameras and focal length. You also need to do this when there are not a lot of people running around... it takes a minute or two to shoot the sequence.

You will love the finished product. Then you can start playing with the airport editor. I think the airport editor is more stable than before. It does not crash on my machine. There is a lot to learn about creating the airport.
.ABSOLUTELY SHOOT FROM A PILOT STATION

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: