Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 PM

What I did was to build the prop map it then apply the final texture. Render the prop in orthographic view. Take the render into PS rotate it so it's vertical and apply a vertical motion blur. Select the background and apply black in the alpha layer. Now crop the whole thing so the middle of the hub is at the bottom of the image and it is fairly close all around the blade. Name it correctly and save it in the same folder as the CW and CCW kex files. The default blur disc does the job just fine for conventional props. If you want the blur disc to look right you will want your blade tga to have the blade texture oriented horizontally so the middle of it is 15% down from the top. Take the tga veritical size and multiply by .15 and use the rulers in Photoshop set to pixels to find the right spot. For example for a 2048x2048 you will want to move the blade texture to 307 pixels down from the top. The pixel row at 307 pixels will be rotated to texture the blur disc.

Last edited by Boof69; 04-20-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Vertical motion blur? I've never been good at rendering. Lighting used? Ortho view in max in another foreign subject. I guess I bit off too much again.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM

I mean in photoshop or GIMP. It's just a blur filter.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

I finished the video tutorials for creating custom propellers for RealFlight. They are of the Youtube variety. I have attached the source files for the project. Remove the rfx extension to use.
Modeling a prop.
Mapping the prop
Creating prop textures
Finishing and importing Kex files.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx ProjectFiles.zip.rfx (151.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Boof69; 08-20-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks Boof!!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Nice!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:08 PM

Unique images on individual blades?

Excellent videos Boof.

I may have missed it being mentioned, but how are individual blades given a unique CS? For example, a scale prop may have the manufacturer logo on only one blade.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 PM

That is unfortunately not possible. You make a single blade and set how many blades the prop will have in RF.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:01 AM

I am interested in making a variable pitch propeller for a model(s) but I can not find the specifics on how to make the variable pitch. I have searched and I can not find anything other than this thread. Am I missing something or did it not get posted.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 PM

Couldn't find anything as well when I was looking. Waiting for captain.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 PM

You could probably make the Prop V-Pitch once you import the prop into Realflight. Once you have it in the sim, you will have to edit the .propeller file. change the No to a Yes in the correct location. You find this in a similar place where the RFVehicles are found in your documents folder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg propeller v-pitch.JPG (40.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 AM

I think it's more about the animation. Making a VPitch one without pitch animation is easy, you can just import any custom prop this way.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:03 AM

Just a shot in the dark here, but you'd probably have to create it the same way you would a heli blade. Just a thought since I've never done a blade befor .
Old 05-24-2015, 05:16 PM

Any custom propeller can be made into a variable pitch but the animation is the nut to crack. A few things need to be done. Import your custom propeller then simply use the v-pitch prop that comes with RF to use as the "Based Upon" (See attached picture). This will give you the correct options in the "Engine" settings to get Variable pitch. You will want to make a new output channel and servo to control the pitch. You will also want to change the throttle channel as well. It will need a complex input to allow the use of the graph to make a throttle curve. The curve should be 100, 0, 100 at low mid and high positions respectively. The new output channel for pitch can be a simple feed set to the throttle channel. Now when you select your new prop you will see settings for Minimum and maximum pitch . Also you can pick the new pitch servo you just made under "Variable pitch servo". Now your model will behave as if it has variable pitch but the animation doesn't work. You really never see that anyways. I can describe the method for putting this behavior on a switch too. That way you can have variable pitch "Mode". I've attached this RFX of my stamp mono. I imported a custom propeller and used the v-pitch prop as the physics setup. The dual rates switch in the "UP" position gives v-pitch mode and in the "DOWN" position it's normal. Just check out the output channels "3" & "8" in the "Radio" tab. Pay attention to the "Input" and the "Input Feed When" sections. Also look at the "Pitch" servo under the "Electronics" tab. Finally look at the "Engine" section under the "Physics" tab. That's where all the V-Pitch settings will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-24-2015 5-31-41 PM.jpg (101.5 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Stamp SV-4b_Monoplane_EA.RFX (21.27 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by Boof69; 05-24-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 PM

Sorry for any confusion that my pervious most may have caused. What I was trying to say was, how to animate it the kex in Realflight. not how to set up the .rfvehicle or .propeller files. I was wondering if there was supposed to be a magic name in the hierarchy like ~CS_PIVOT or something to go between ~CS_HUB and _BLADE that rotates the blade with the physics. So it acts/looks like the V-Pitch and not like the Griffin Combat VTOL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: