Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Administrator

If the 1900 RPM sample is the highest one you provide, then RealFlight will use it for some RPMs below 1900 (how many depends on the next lowest sample you provide) and for all RPMs above 1900. Making it do that doesn't require any special steps; it's simply the way the system works.

The problem is that the result will most likely be undesirable. Unless the engine using your custom sound profile also tops out around 1900 RPM, it's going to sound horrible. For example, imagine an engine that reaches 10,000 RPM that is using your custom sound profile that only goes to 1900. When it's operating at, say, 9200 RPM, that 1900 RPM sample you provided will get used to represent 9200 RPMs. RealFlight will adjust its sample rate to make it match what it should sound like at 9200. That means the pitch will be higher, and it will be played faster. Much, much higher and much, much faster in this case, because that gap is so large.

If you're recording an engine that really only goes to 1900 RPM, then that's one thing. But you should record the entire operating range of whatever engine you're using, so if it goes higher, don't stop halfway there.

Having said all that: you're certainly welcome to try it out and learn for yourself why it doesn't work well. You won't break anything, and that's probably better than me trying to describe it, anyway.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM

Well I guess what I'm asking is that, if I can name the audio file anything I want, can't I record the engine at 1900 (it's max) rpm and NAME the file 4000 rpm or whatever the maximum rpm is, that way, at full power, the sound would be accurate, I would think
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM

One way to find out.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Yes, you could do that in order to use the sound profile you created with a motor that revs higher, and RealFlight would avoid having to drastically adjust the sample rate for that top sample, which is what causes the problems I described above.

It would sound "right" quality-wise. Like you said, at full throttle (say, 10000 RPM), you would hear the sound of the motor you recorded at its full throttle (1900 RPM). You would essentially be stretching the sound profile to cover a wider RPM range.

It would not sound correct, however. One thing you're not taking into account is that the sound of two different motors operating at the same RPM have different character--sometimes very different--but they actually have the same pitch. So the motor running at 10000 RPM would sound like it was only turning 1900 RPM.

You might be happy enough with the results. You should try it out and see what you think. Just be aware of the compromise you're making.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Maybe its Time to bring Back both the Resonance and Pitch Sound Settings That where in 4.0 and earlier that were removed from the Editor with 4.5's Release

Remember those ?
No pun intended but It sounds to me that they would now be very useful ??

Last edited by Maj. Numbskully; 06-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure what those would do for us. They dealt with the sound of the model cutting through the air, not the motor sounds.

At any rate, we could provide the ability to artificially pitch the motor sounds up or down to fit a certain RPM range. But that's the same thing gibson is talking about doing by manually adjusting the file name so that a recording of RPM A is being used to represent RPM B, where RPM A != RPM B. It wouldn't actually solve any of the problems I described above. Basically, you just get to choose between them: either the samples get stretched and sound bad for that reason, or they sound like the unmodified recording but the pitch is incorrect.

The real answer is to avoid using motor sound profiles beyond their intended RPM range.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 PM

I understand gibson's point of view, because a real radial engine sounds awesome. But there are NO model radial engines that sound like a full size radial.

The Moki engines have the best sound as far as model radial engines go, and I believe that is due mostly to the oversized exhaust ring they designed.

The best I have ever seen a modeler do, for an authentic sound, was to overprop his engine by increasing the diameter and the pitch significantly, allowing him to reduce engine rpm significantly yet create enough thrust to keep the model flying. Sounded the closest to a full size that I have ever heard.

I have thought about going through the process as recommended by KE to capture and create a sound profile of the ASP FS400 radial engine. But there is always too much ambient noise around my house. I would have to drive out to the high desert 100 miles to find a spot that does not have housing and business around it, and then there is no guarentee some modelers, dirt bikers, four wheelers, or even full size airplanes won't show up an ruin the "quiet".

It truly seems to be a daunting task to find an environment without noise already present.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Has anyone released any new engine profiles?

I think that anyone creating a profile should anticipate the file being used badly as Ryan describes... if the engine only revs to 7600rpm, use the high 7600 profile for 10000, 12000, 15000, 20000 samples... you could do the same on the low end... that way your sounds don't get mangled.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM

I still need to buy a decent mic. Other projects have made this cost prohibitive. I would have loved to get one before my trip to warbirds over Delaware this week. Getting a real radial sound into the sim is on my priority list.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 AM

*cough* Shrike *cough*
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM

How do I change an existing sound from a heli? I want to change the Goblin Sound, cause I have a real goblin recording that I want to insert.

I didn´t find an option to replace heli sound profiles.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:24 PM

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28417
Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Arrow

Someone could have a sneezing plane!
How about a talking one?

hehe!

I didn't know pepole could use the .wav format. I only knew .ogg was usable, and i never really heard of .ogg before i got RF6.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:09 PM

Ryan, will there be a discreet way to upload a custom engine sound profile to the swap pages in the future?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 AM

Exclamation 2-strokes are difficult?

Ryan,

I'm having fits trying to make a two stroke sound profile.

I have made two 4-stroke profiles and they both turned out quite accurate.

I am now working on a 2-stroke and am using the same process that I used for the other two sound profiles, but the end result just sounds bad and is is completely unsatisfactory to me.

When you (KE) made your 2-stroke sound profiles, were they inherently more difficult to make a good one versus the 4-strokes?

I have tried 4 different attempts. With just actual recordings on some, and with software enhanced recordings on others (where you use the program to change speed for an intermediate rpm file). The best version so far has been with pure recordings only. It also seems to be best with less intermediate files than more.

I have made all my clips as close to 7 seconds as possible. I have made the intermediate steps as close to 25% as possible. But it is just not working out, unlike the 4-stroke sounds did.

Any advice?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: