Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Field Radio Interface Instructions

It is the plan to have many radios listed in this first message of the thread with links to messages further down describing how to interface the various radios to Real Flight 7. You should also be aware of the PDF document attached to this post. http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...46&postcount=1 The same document is available from the Real Flight 7 Help menu. Make sure your trainer system is enabled on your radio so that the PPM code is sent to the connection jack. Spektrum and JR radios are turned off while connected to the sim (even though the radio is active). I am told that Futaba radios are turned on while being connected to the sim.

Even if your radio is not listed here, reading the steps will give you an idea of how to proceed with your radio.

If you have written up a radio connecting guide for a particular radio please post a message in this thread (or a link to it). This thread is only going to deal with connections to Real Flight 7 software. Check the stickies at the top of the RF5.5 forum for older versions of the RF software. Please help keep the thread clean with only radio solutions and no requests for help. Post a request for help in a new thread or another existing thread about the same radio.

Below are the radios that I either own or have access to borrow. I will write up connections for these.

Deleting Radio Profiles: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...89&postcount=7

Using Software Radio Mixing Vs. Using Field Radio Mixing http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...4&postcount=21

Futaba
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Futaba 18MZ http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...9&postcount=11

Futaba T8J http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...22&postcount=7 Good Writeup

Come on guys... post how to connect your Futaba radios in this thread... I will provide a link to your post.

Spektrum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep in mind Spektrum users, the radio switch should be turned off while plugging the radio into the back of Interlink Elite or Wired Interface.
The radio will still appear to be on, but the plugin has turned on the radio.
Spektrum DX6i --- RF7 -- http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...70&postcount=6
Spektrum DX6 New Version Check Out This Link: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...3&postcount=26

Spektrum DX7 ---
Spektrum DX7s --- http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...4&postcount=23

Spektrum DX8 --- RF7 -- http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...61&postcount=5
--another author --------- http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...8&postcount=12

Spektrum DX9 ---

Spektrum DX18 ---- RF7 --- http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...34&postcount=4

JR Radios
JR 11x ---

JR9303/9503 --- link to Opjose's Setup in a thread

Come on guys... post how to connect your other radios in this thread... I will provide a link to your post.

Other Radios
Hitec Aurora 9 setup instructions http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...8&postcount=21

E-flite LPD5DSM transmitter that comes with Blade CX-2 http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...smitter&page=4

SimStick Pro http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...9&postcount=11

Taranius (OpenTX ver. 2940 of 2/2/14) Link to explaination: Click Here or Click Here

Multiplex Royal Evo 9 http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31082

Come on guys... post how to connect your other radios in this thread... I will provide a link to your post.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 02-07-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM

DX18 Field Radio Setup for RF7

DX18 Interface to Interlink Elite Controller - Using Real Flight software mixing and rates.

Start out with a blank model memory and reset the memory to the default settings. The model will be an airplane model as the real flight 7 software will provide the helicopter mixing. Create a name to designate the model memory is being used for real flight.

You will need to turn on the Trainer mode in the high level "System Setup" menu. I used the "Programmable Master" or "Pilot Link Master" selection. The slave mode will not allow the trimming switches to operate. At this point you can use the 6 foot cord with mono sound plug on one end and 6 pin rectangular plug on the other end to connect the radio to the Interlink Elite. A new "Radio Transmitter" selection section should appear in the Select controller form (2nd pic below). Use the profile drop down box to select the Spektrum selection.

Edit the Spektrum settings and apply the changes shown below in the third picture. Note it is possible to use the radio's mixing and dual rates by un-checking the two check boxes above the save buttons. You would have to set up a helicopter model memory to enable CCPM mixing in the radio and then communicate that to the Real Flight 7 software.

By using these settings, I am trying to mimic the Interlink Elite functionality as much as possible. You can see by the third illustration which switches control which functions. You may prefer to have the functions on different switches. If so, you would use the "Channel Input config" menu which is the second page of the "Channel Assign" in the radio's high level "System Setup" menu. To enter the DX18's high level "System Setup" menu, hold the clear and back buttons down while turning on the radio, or hold down the roller bar while turning the radio on. A third option to reach the setup high level menu would be to use the "System Setup" selection in the function list. I set the #5 Gear channel to switch "B" to make it more like the Interlink Elite and provide 3 flight modes. I also had to remove the check in the box next to channel 5 in the "Edit Profile" screen as shown in pic#3 below. This is how you would change any channel to the switch you prefer. I also moved the throttle hold to switch H (not shown in pic) as that is the heli position I prefer. Plane guys would probably not like this change. You should also plan to increase the servo travel values to 150% if you fly 3D and enter some expo values. If you own this radio, you know what values you like.

Use the "Save As" button to create a Spektrum DX18 Profile. This will allow you to have other Spektrum radios to be used in Real Flight without reprogramming the Spektrum profile each time. See page 51 in the RF7 user manual (help menu) for information on creating a profile.

Proceed with the "Calibrate" button function and center the throttle stick. Move the sticks to their maximum positions.

You should read the Dual Rates and Exponential section as part of the DX6i Setup... as it applies here also.

Remember that you have to use the Red button on the Interlink or the Box interface one time to start things, after that you can press the space bar or setup up a delay after crash setting to restart with a new aircraft after a crash. To setup an automatic restart after crash, open the settings form. Under the "Physics" group change the "Automatic Reset Delay" value to something greater than zero.

As I get used to flying the DX18 radio, I may return to update some of these settings. Note that RF only has allowances for 8 channels to connect to this radio at the moment, but it looks like some changes are coming. The 9 through 12 channels could be mixed with 1-8 to control other plane features (channels).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DX18_003_Setup.jpg (508.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DX18_001_Setup.jpg (51.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DX18_002_Setup.jpg (80.9 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg DX18_004_Setup.jpg (113.2 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-06-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM

DX8 Field Radio Setup for RF7

Since this is a bit similar to the DX18, I will tackle this radio next.
DX8 Interface to Interlink Elite Controller - Using Real Flight software mixing and rates.

Start out with a blank model memory and reset the memory to the default settings. You should always reset the model memory when ever you create a new model. The model will be an airplane model as the real flight 7 software will provide the helicopter mixing. Create a name to designate the model memory is being used for "Real Flight".

You will need to turn on the Trainer mode in the high level "System Setup" menu. I used the "Pilot Link Master" selection. The programmable setting allows you to select which channels are active and you need them all. The "Slave" mode will not allow the trimming switches to operate. At this point you can use the 6 foot cord with mono sound plug on one end and 6 pin rectangular plug on the other end to connect the radio to the Interlink Elite, or plug into the interface cable. A new "Radio Transmitter" selection section should appear in the Select controller form (2nd pic below). Use the profile drop down box to select the Spektrum selection. Use the "Save As" button and save the profile as DX8. Creating a profile for each radio will allow you to have other Spektrum radios to be used in Real Flight without reprogramming the Spektrum profile each time.

Edit the Spektrum DX8 profile settings and apply the changes shown below in the fifth picture. Note it is possible to use the radio's mixing and dual rates by un-checking the two check boxes above the save buttons. Note that you would have to set up a helicopter model memory to enable CCPM mixing in the radio and then communicate that to the Real Flight 7 software.

By using these settings, I am trying to mimic the Interlink Elite functionality as much as possible. To change switch assignments you have to enter the "Switch Select" function of the "System Setup" menu. You must turn radio off and then either hold down the clear and back buttons while turning the radio on, or hold down the roller bar while turning the radio on. (cannot be done with the cord plugged into the back of radio) The third picture shows my preferred positions for the throttle hold function on the mix switch. Plane guys would probably prefer to use the switch settings shown in the fourth picture where the gear would be on the aux2 switch.

This is how you would change any channel to the switch you prefer. The DX8 is not as flexible as the DX18 in assigning switches. I also moved the throttle hold to the mix/hold switch as that is the position I prefer.

Use the "Save" button to update the Spektrum DX8 Profile. Close the "Profile" form. See page 51 in the RF7 user manual (help menu) for information on creating a profile. Proceed with the "Calibrate" button function and center the throttle stick. Move the sticks to their maximum positions.

You should read the Dual Rates and Exponential section as part of the DX6i Setup... as it applies here also.

Remember that you have to use the Red button on the Interlink or the Box interface one time to start things, after that you can press the space bar or setup up a delay after crash setting to restart with a new aircraft after a crash. To setup an automatic restart after crash, open the settings form. Under the "Physics" group change the "Automatic Reset Delay" value to something greater than zero.

As I get used to flying the DX8 radio with Real Flight 7, I may return to update some of these settings. Note that RF only has allowances for 8 channels to connect to this radio at the moment, but it looks like some changes are coming. The 9 through 12 channels could be mixed with 1-8 to control other plane features (channels).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DX8_001.jpg (537.1 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg DX8_002.JPG (58.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg DX8_Heli_Switch.jpg (546.4 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg DX8_Plane_Switch.jpg (503.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg DX8_003.JPG (69.2 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-06-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM

DX6i Field Radio Setup for RF7

DX6i Interface to Interlink Elite Controller - Using Real Flight software mixing and rates.
For New DX6 Please see this; http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...3&postcount=26

Start out with a blank model memory and reset the memory to the default settings using copy/reset in the setup menu. You should always reset the model memory when ever you create a new model. The model will be an airplane model Type as the Real Flight 7 software will provide the helicopter mixing (you cannot disable the "Enable Software Radio Mixes" check-box with a 3servos 120 swash plate). Create a name to designate the model memory is being used for "RFlight" (only 8 Chrs allowed). This is done in the setup menu... roll all the way to bottom of top menu and select the setup menu. Both the airplanes and the helicopters in the simulator will use the airplane type selected in the DX6i radio. If you decide to try the helicopter model type, you can only use 1 servo swash type. I think my instructions of using two radio profiles in Real Flight provides a better way and uses an airplane type for both. Only one radio memory is used for both.

The DX6i does not have the menu ability to turn the trainer mode on and off. To use the Dx6i radio with Real Flight, you will turn the transmitter off and connect the plug to the back of the radio. The radio will be on while the plug is connected, but the transmitter will be off. Use the 6 foot cord with mono sound plug on one end and 6 pin rectangular plug on the other end to connect the radio to the Interlink Elite, or plug into the interface cable. A new "Radio Transmitter" selection section should appear in the Select controller form (2nd pic below). You might have to click the "Refresh" button to get the radio to appear. Use the profile drop down box to select the Spektrum selection.
-----------------------------------------------------
Field Radio Setup -Airplanes and Helicopters:
Here are the adjustments made in the DX6i radio:
Create the blank model memory. Make sure you have the airplane type selected. The sim will not work with a helicopter type selected.
To enable the Dx6i's flap/gyro switch, you will have to go into the flaps menu and set the Norm value as Up 100 and LAND value as down 100. This activates the flap switch.
You will have to trim the DX6i's throttle trim (right side of the throttle stick) all the way down to get idle engine revs.

You can use the mixes 1&2 to make the mix switch active, but you still only have six radio channels to work with. The DX6i has its limitations - no dial or 3 position switches but it is still a great radio.
Dual Rates and Exponential
The aircraft in Real Flight are designed with two rates (low and high) and the designer decided what exponential they thought the aircraft needed. The user was always able to edit the aircraft and change the settings. This was done for each aircraft and then the file was saved under a new name. With the release of RealFlight7 the software has an incredibly powerful check-box above the Profile form's save button. You can un-check the "Enable Software Radio's Dual Rates and Exponential" setting and then directly use your radio to dial in your own preferred rates and exponential. Now you do not need to edit each aircraft.

You need to make a choice... use either; 1) Software Rates and Expo or 2) Use the Field Radios Dual Rates and Expo... if you are using the software, don't set up rates in the radio. If you want to use your radio's settings, remove the check-mark from the box. Use only one type or the other not both. To use both, you would have rates of rates and expo on top of expo. This would not be good, but it would work.

You can enter some Dual Rates and Exponential into the DX6i radio's D/R&Expo Menu. I suggest starting with the low dual rates @50% and the high dual rate @ 100%. You will have to flip the switch to get access to both dual rate settings.

The expo settings are a personal preference...you could start with values of 15-30% on each of three controls of the low rate, and the three controls of the high rates (6 expo settings total). Higher expo settings will make the center of the sticks less sensitive and is good to reduce the tremor each of us has in our fingers. I use 15% on helis and 30% on airplanes because I like my helis edgy. This make the stick centers a bit less sensitive as you increase expo. Don't go overboard. As the number increases, you have to move the stick more to get a control reaction.

For more snappy control make changes to the Radio's Travel Adjust menu... increase aileron right and left values to 125%, increase elevator up and down values to 125%, increase rudder left and right values to 125%. Be sure to move the stick one way and while holding the stick, roll in the adjustment, then hold the stick in the opposite direction, and roll in the adjustment.

I like using dual rates, I set my low rates(0) to 50-75% and leave the High rate(1) at 100%. On the Setup menu, you can combine all the dual rates to one switch. One switch for low and high rates instead of flipping three switches.

Creating Airplane Profile:
Use the "Save As" button and save the profile as "DX6i Airplane". Creating a profile for each radio will allow you to have other Spektrum radios to be used in Real Flight without reprogramming the Spektrum profile each time. Edit the RF Spektrum "DX6i Airplane" profile settings and apply the changes shown in the third picture below. With the DX6i radio, you only have 6 channels to work with. I decided to use channels 5 and 6 as the flaps and gear controls. Channel 5 is on the gear switch, and channel 6 is on the Flap switch. Save the profile in the RF7 software as DX6i Airplane.

Creating Helicopter Profile:
A second RF7 Dx6i Helicopter Radio Profile will allow the functions of switches to change and seem more natural to heli pilots.

Use the "Save As" button and save the profile as "DX6i Heli". Creating a profile for each radio will allow you to have other Spektrum radios to be used in Real Flight without reprogramming the Spektrum profile each time. Make the changes to the software Spektrum DX6i Heli Profile as shown in picture 4 below.

This the best that I could find.. I tried many, many combinations including turning the software mixing off to use radio mixing. That was a disaster.
Keep in mind that there are four keyboard flight control function keys... Y, U, I and O that can control channels 5-8. The DX6 is not flexible in assigning switches so you cannot easily move a function from one switch to another.

Use the "Save" button to update the Spektrum DX6i airplane or heli Profile. Close the "Profile" form. See page 51 in the RF7 user manual (help menu) for more information on creating a profile.

Proceed with the "Calibrate" button function and center the throttle stick. Move the sticks to their maximum positions and operate the switches.

Note that RF7 only has allowances for 8 channels to connect a radio (DX6i has 6) at the moment, but it looks like some changes are coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DX6i_001.jpg (538.8 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg dx6i_002.jpg (52.3 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg dx6i_003.jpg (78.0 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg dx6i_004.jpg (81.4 KB, 518 views)

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 03-13-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM

How Do You Delete A User Created Radio Profile????

The software offers a great facility for creating and adding Radio profiles... But how to you delete all the radio profiles that you have created?

Menu: 'Simulation', 'Manage User Content', ' then 'Radio Profiles' where you can delete the un-needed files.

Stock radio profiles cannot be deleted. FYI

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-06-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Administrator

This is great info for people who need help setting up their own radios. Thanks for posting it!

However, I notice that you're suggesting people leave the "Enable Software Radio Dual Rates and Expo" setting enabled in the radio profile but also set up their preferred expo and dual rates while programming their radio. That is a bad idea, and not how it is supposed to work.

We added that software radio dual rates & expo option so that people who want to configure those things in their own radio can do so without giving up the other benefits that RealFlight's software radio provides. That is one of the big advantages of radio setup in RF7 versus previous versions.

If rates and/or expo are applied in the radio, that checkbox should be unchecked in RealFlight. The two should never be combined. I suggest taking another look at the Radio Interface Help.pdf, specifically the "The Software Radio" section and the subsequent three sections describing the three different methods. If you have questions after that I'll do my best to answer them.

Re: deleting custom radio profiles, you can actually do so from the Manage User Files dialog. We treat custom profiles like other custom content.

I would be happy to make this thread sticky and help keep it clean of unwanted posts, but I don't want to do that while the problem I mentioned above exists. I hope you'll address that and keep posting more setup guides!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Mixes, Rates and Exponential

I have made changes to the radios above based on Ryans comments. I agree with his view of using the features.

I have been experimenting with the two check-boxes at the bottom of the radio profile screen. In the picture below, I screen grabbed only what I want to talk about in this message. Here is some more power for you hungry power users.

'Enable Software Dual Rates and and Exponential':
I started out by leaving this box checked and dialing rates into the field radio. This works, but it is very hard to predict what you are really getting. Expo on top of expo? Rates on top of rates. It just doesn't make sense... but it works. You are much better off to choose one system you wish to use. But there are drawbacks:
1.) Using the Software Rates&Exp: if you want to make changes, you have to edit each aircraft and update the appropriate rates. That is a lot of copies and not easy to do for beginners. Each aircraft does not edit like the last one.
2.) Using the Field Radio Rates&Exp: Even though it is easy for a beginner to modify the settings, individual sim aircraft may need different setting to function optimally. For example, it could be like putting a VW bugs steering wheel on a Porsche. With the triple rates and flight modes available in advanced radios, it is possible to make a good general purpose setup.

'Enable Software Radio Mixes':
I want to caution you... I do not see this feature working with helicopter radio model type mixing. I am talking about selecting a helicopter as the model type in the field radio. The current simulator models are just not designed to accept CCPM raw command and control for the cyclic and collective pitch mixing. I think that raw ccpm input could be implemented in future helicopters as it is created. At the moment you will not be able to use this(and I tried hard to do it). I am sure that Ryan will have something to say about this.
As for airplanes... for example the aircraft designer may have coupled the ailerons and rudder as a mix. You are now able to create these same mixes in your field radio. Keep in mind that this mix would be used for every aircraft in the simulator unless you use multiple field radio model memories. I suspect that this feature will be most helpful to pattern guys to get their exact plane in the simulator to fly with the same radio mixing. A lot of simulator testing would get things just right and the same field radio model memory could be used to fly the actual model. You could iterate both the radio and the sim model to fly exactly like the real thing. Everyone wants that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mix_Rates_Expo.jpg (16.5 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-07-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Administrator

I debated whether I should put all this in a PM or post it here. Ideally this thread would be limited to setup info. But I think there may be value for other users in seeing this discussion. It could be moved out later.

The info in the DX6i post looks great and is the most correct at this point. I'm guessing it's the one you updated most recently. I suggest modifying the others to match, or else moving the common info into a single post, maybe at the top, that applies to all of the individual radio setup posts.

In the Dual Rates and Exponential section (DX6i), the explanation is good. My only suggestion is to consider further emphasizing the need to set expo to 0 and rates to 100%, and skipping to the next section of the setup guide, if choosing to use the software radio's values. People might otherwise just stop there but still have whatever is in their setup by default (or held over from the previous model).

It looks like you've done a good job optimizing the use of 6 channels with the DX6i setup by tailoring them to airplane and heli setups separately and creating a unique profile for each. That's exactly what we envision for such a scenario. The sim provides the best experience when using a radio with 8 channels (especially when using all the software radio features), so with fewer than 8 you have to make some choices about how you want things to work. Speaking of which...

One other advantage of the new "Enable Software Radio Dual Rates and Expo" option is that if your radio has < 8 channels, you're no longer stuck wasting one of them on rates. You can disable that check box, set up rates on your radio where they don't consume a channel, and map channel 5 to something more useful to you (be it retracts, flaps, throttle hold, flight mode, ???). You do give up the benefits of using the rates and expo specified in each aircraft's setup, though. For more info, see "Advanced Channel 5 Considerations" in the "Method 2: Using the rates and expo of your own radio" section of the Radio Interface Help.pdf.

To address one other issue that arose above: CCPM is not supported in the radio, at least at this time. All of that mixing is handled by the sim. Therefore, you should use an airplane model type in your radio, even for helis. But other functionality like pitch curves should all be supported. It is worth noting that if you disable software mixing--an approach you are not attempting to describe above--then for helis, collective will consume an additional channel.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:49 PM

Excellent Post by Ryan on Using Software Radio Mixing Vs. Using Field Radio Mixing. You should be aware that he is using one servo swash mixing from the Field radio... There currently is no rotor head to simulate 3 or more servo swash mixing.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...4&postcount=21

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-16-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 PM

RF7 CAN work with the E-flite LPD5DSM transmitter that comes with Blade CX-2

I posted this in another thread. Here's the link to it, so you can add it to your listing:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...smitter&page=4
Old 02-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Futaba 18MZ SimCable and Simstick Pro

here is what you need to do to get a Futaba 18MZ to work

when using a simulator cable:

Futaba 18MZ channel and sticks mapping
http://imgur.com/ewqzdmO

RealFlight channel mapping:
http://imgur.com/iS8MYXc

with Simstick Pro you need to do the following:

Futaba 18MZ channel and sticks mapping - you wont have channel 8 available as it only supports 7 channels max so I remapped the gear channel for mode changes
http://imgur.com/c3Npdl4

RealFlight channel mapping:
http://imgur.com/LD6NXfV

regards
r4n

Last edited by r4nd0m; 02-19-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up

This is a post I made on RunRyder which suggests another way of using the Spektrum Rx8 with RF7 Transmitter interface Edition. It has several advantages that I could not find in this thread (sorry to all if I somehow missed an entry (ies) that give you the same functionality: 1) it is based on a HELICOPTER setup which makes it easier (familiar setup sequence, same language system and a heli is, well, a heli afterall), 2) it allows fully inverted flight using normal throttle and pitch curves, and 3) it gives you the full 3 flight modes in the same way you would be used to.

So, here it is. Please follow instructions closely, and thanks to Heli Splatter for getting my mind into this problem.

LET'S START WITH THE TRANSMITTER:

Set up a new HELICOPTER model as you normally would.

* Select a model;
* Model type: helicopter;
* Give your model a name;
* Assign swash type: 1 servo normal;
* Set switches; I set Gov to Aux 2 and Knob to Aux 3, but I'm not sure switch assignment makes any difference;
* Flight mode setup: assign Flight mode and Hold to what ever switches you normally use; I used Flight Mode: Elev D/R and Hold Aile D/R. If your switches don't work for some reason use these because I know they will work;
* Leave trim set alone;
* Leave Model Copy alone;
* Leave Model Reset alone;
* Set warnings to how you normally do: I do Throttle over 2%, Stunt 1 Act, Stunt 2 Act, and Hold Inh. Alarm I like at Tone/Vibe;
* Leave Telemetry alone;
* Leave Frame Rate alone (mine was 22ms, DSMX - inconsistent so I don't think settings matter);
* Leave Trainer alone
* Leave System Settings as you normally have them;
* Ignore Transfer SD Card (until you are finished if you want to save your settings);

OK SO FAR?

Now, go to the Main Screen. It should say SLAVE at the top, have the heli number and its name. I'll tell you exactly how I set mine up, but note that most of these settings you can change to suit yourself - just like setting up a normal helicopter.

* Leave Servo Setup alone;
* Set up D/R Expo as you like it for all 3 flight modes by toggling the switch you selected for Flight Mode in the master menu. Assign Expo to all three modes, for aileron, elevator, and rudder. Don't forget to set the switch (sw) at the bottom to correspond to the switch that controls flight mode.
* I left Throttle Cut Inhibited because I use the Ail D/R switch to kill the throttle. If you use one of the four options to cut throttle, select the appropriate switch (e.g., L Trim, R Trim, Trainer, or Hold);
* Set all three throttle curves as you normally would when setting up a real RC heli. I used 0-65-65-65-65 for Normal, 75 across the board for Idle up 1, and 85 across the board for Idle up 2. Play with the levels depending on how you like the RF7 helis to act because they WILL respond to your curves if you use these instructions;
* Set up all three pitch curves as you normally would when setting up a real RC heli. I used 38-47-60-77-100 for Normal, which seemed to be close to real life in the simulator. I used 0-25-50-100 for both Idle up 1 and 2, just as you would on a real heli;
* Gyro is calibrated strangely in RF7. I set mine to 14% on the transmitter which is working ok, but may well be too low;
* Leave Governor inhibited;
* Leave Tail Curve alone;
* KEY KEY KEY KEY: My breakthrough was ON MIXING. You need TWO MIXES to make your heli fly in RF7 like it would in real life. Leave the Cyclic > Thro mix alone (maybe it can be played with, but to be safe don't touch it for now); Leave Swashplate mixes alone (again, maybe you can mess with it later, but I didn't); SET MIX 1 TO THR > PITCH WITH RATE VALUES OF -100% 0% 100% AND ALSO, ON THE BOTTOM, ACTIVATE 1 AND 2 BUT NOT N; YOU NEED NOW TO SET A SECOND MIX = MIX 2 - AND HERE IS THE SECRET SAUCE - TO PIT > PIT with values of -100% 0% 100% AND ALSO, ON THE BOTTOM, ACTIVATE THIS MIX FOR N, 1, AND 2. These two settings give you proper speed pitch mixes and allow you to fly inverted.
* Leave Range Test alone;
* Set Timer to Count Down mode, time = 99, Tone on, and Start = Throttle Pos: 50% (gives you a little click when you are at mid stick - nice);
* On your transmitter, you can push all your switches up or back, i.e., away from you. Don't worry what RF7 says. Your chosen Flight Mode switch and Hold switch will act as normal so adjust them so they are in Normal mode and Hold mode just as a good habit;

LET'S MOVE ON TO THE RF7 SOFTWARE:

Plug in your transmitter to the interface, connect the usb to your computer, start up RF7, go through the start up procedure (you'll have to eventually push the reset button to show you bought the product);
* Click on the Simulation pull down menu on the top left. Then click on Select Controller. Then select the Spektrum8 profile;
*Click Edit;
* Configure the screen exactly as follows and Save As... Spektrum8.

RealFlight channel order: 3,1,2,4,5,6,7,8,;
Reverse channels 2 and 4;
Don't click Enable Software Radio Mixes;
Don't click Enable Software Radio Dual Rates and Expo;

* Click OK. When it asks you to "Overwrite?" (Would you like to overwrite it?, click YES;
* Close the Edit Profile: Spektrum8 box

FINAL STEP: CALIBRATE YOUR TRANSMITTER

* With your transmitter still plugged in (but turned off so the program recognizes it), the software still running, the transmitter settings for Spektrum8 safely saved - go back to the top left, click Simulation, click Select Controller... on the pull-down menu, select Spektrum8 in the profile box in the pop up, and click Calibrate;
* Follow the instructions and calibrate your Dx8 - including flicking the switches (notably your flight mode switch and hold switch) and turning the Aux 3 dial just for yucks (not sure what channel 8 does yet, but leave Aux 3 at its 12 o' clock position;
* Click finish to close the calibration dialogue box;
* Click OK to close the Select Controller dialogue box;
* Pick a helicopter, and fly it the way you would if you were in the field;
* Adjust settings on transmitter to suit your flying style, you shouldn't have to touch the RF7 software again;
* For me, these settings worked for every helicopter, I could pick one after another and they flew fine (although I'm sure adjustments would be appropriate for different size and style helis);

This worked fine for me, I hope it works for you ! Again, apologies if these instructions are already buried somewhere in this thread.

Tom Craig tcraig7777777@gmail.com
Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 PM

anybody know how to hook up the hitec A9> just bought this sim and will have it by the end of he week. trying to figure a few things out about it. Do you need to use the transmitters battery, or is the transmitter powered by the computer when plugged in?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:42 AM

This thread is for radio solutions.... not questions... you might get more help by starting a thread about this radio. I have no knowledge or access to this radio.

This I do know... the Real Flight USB interface does not supply any power to any radio, so you are using power from your radios batteries. This is one reason that many of us prefer using the Interlink Elite device.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 03-30-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
This thread is for radio solutions.... not questions... you might get more help by starting a thread about this radio. I have no knowledge or access to this radio.

This I do know... the Real Flight USB interface does not supply any power to any radio, so you are using power from your radios batteries. This is one reason that many of us prefer using the Interlink Elite device.
Ok, thanks for the info. Sorry about posting this here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: