Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 6
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 02:13 PM

no I have not
I have a 8600gt 1 gig not a gts
yes I remember you saying something about that
I was under the assumption since my card was an 8600
it was not compatible? since the chipset is an 8300

I thought they have to have the same # to run SLI
example a 8600gt+8600gt card in REGULAR dual card SLI will work
and that a 8800gt+8600gt configuration in reg SLI would not work

so that does not matter with the chip set thing?
......its ok running a mis-match (8600 card+8300 chipset in "Virtual SLI" configuration?
if it does not sure I'll try it
been wanting to install a 250 gig SSD but without a win7 disc not sure how
opjose mentioned "cloning" my drive. And briefly explained how ..but I think its still way over my head
Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 PM

The underlying chipset must be the same for SLI to work.

You can however have multiple GPU's on the same machine. For some programs the extra GPU can be dedicated to PhysiX or other matters, greatly speeding up rendering on the primary GPU.

Unfortunately Realflight does not take advantage of that.

SLI does produce higher FPS in Realflight when "alternate frame rendering" is enabled.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM

That's what I thought thanks.
Would it hurt my machine if I just try it once?...even just to see what kind of error it throws up

Last edited by Maj. Numbskully; 05-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 PM

I used a 285gtx with it but I quickly realized it slowed down that card and I disabled it . The 285 processed the physX faster. If you find a copy of the manual on the link I posted, I believe that you would be able to take advantage of using it. I think it gives you a 20% boost to a 8600 card.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. Numbskully View Post
been wanting to install a 250 gig SSD but without a win7 disc not sure how
opjose mentioned "cloning" my drive. And briefly explained how ..but I think its still way over my head
Re: Try it.

As long as the 2 way SLI Bridge adapter fits works, give it a go.

Do you have one?

The Nvidia control panel will let you know if SLI is available.

Re: Clone

This is quite simple.

You plug in your SSD to a SATA Port, boot your system from a bootable CD or DVD containing the disk cloning software.

There are a ton of freeware programs for this including Drive Image XML (Free) & "clonezilla".

Select your old drive as the "source" and the SSD as the "target" and let it run.

15-20 minutes later, power off the machine, disconnect the old hard drive and see if the machine boots from the SSD. If it does, then shut it down, disconnect power and reconnect the HDD.

Start the machine and go to the BIOS to set the SSD as the FIRST Boot Device, and restart.

Don't let the computer boot up with both drives installed without assigning the SSD as the first boot drive, and having booted the SSD by itself.

If you do not do that, Windows will then screw up the drive assignments as it will recognize your old hard drive as the "C:" drive, which you no longer want it to be.

Now the SSD AND the HDD are available.

Reformat the HDD to best utilize the available space...

There after every time you install software, select a "custom" installation and change

C:\Program Files(x86)\NAME OF PROGRAM

to

D:\Program Files(x86)\NAME OF PROGRAM

assuming that you've assigned your HDD to be the "D" drive.

Hint: You can go into the disk management console to re-assign your DVD drive letter, and then re-assign your HDD to be your D: drive just to keep things consistent.

BTW:

Open a Command prompt and type

set | more

spaces included... look for the TEMP= and TMP= variables.

Go to the folder they both point to and empty EVERYTHING contained there. It is all junk.

Last edited by opjose; 05-07-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM

It doesn't need a adapter for SLI. It uses the graphic chipset on the motherboard in tandem with the installed card in the PCIe slot. The Nvidia Driver will see it as a SLI configuration when it's enabled though.

Last edited by csgill75; 05-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:06 PM

opjose/csgill
Yes I do have the SLI connector
But as Mr. Gill has explained it to me
I do not need it
that I don't even need to crack open the case
all that is required is to enable/ configure the SLI in the Nvidea control panel and /or in the BIOS...right Chris?

Chris just curious ....does the 8300 chipset use system RAM or does it have its own V.RAM? and if so do you know how much V.ram that would be ?
will it matter if My card has 1 gig of Vram and the chipset only having lets say 512Mb vram ???

Some dumb cloning questions :

OK I'm thinking
It would be best for me to delete unneeded files etc and move things I want
to save to my external

Basically to clean up the old drive as much as possible before cloning and maybe even defrag and run my virus protection scan first right?

I know that its best to leave at around 30% of the SSDs capacity free right?

am I correct in assuming that the SSD must contain all of the programs I run :
the OS ,Photoshop, and other photo editing software like photostitch hdr editor RF,IL-2,3dsMax2012 ,My scanner/printer software my Canon cameras software etc etc
and the only thing that the HDD will be used for is to direct my photos , music , download folder ,print screen folder to....
basically just storage ?

so would the color scheme folder still be located on the SSD "C' drive or would it /can it be set up to direct/save the new "saved as 'color schemes in RF to a folder on the HDD "D' drive ?

in nut shell what should be the only things on the SSD and what should always go to or be found on the "D' drive ?

Last edited by Maj. Numbskully; 05-07-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It would be best for me to delete unneeded files etc and move things I want
to save to my external
Basically to clean up the old drive as much as possible before cloning and maybe even defrag and run my virus protection scan first right?
Sure it will not hurt.

Quote:
I know that its best to leave at around 30% of the SSDs capacity free right?
That is correct. SSD's only have a limited number of write cycles to any particular memory "cell". The on board controller chip needs working space to use to even out write cycles so that the same areas do not get used excessively.

That increases the SSD's lifetime.

Quote:
am I correct in assuming that the SSD must contain all of the programs I run :
the OS ,Photoshop, and other photo editing software like photostitch hdr editor RF,IL-2,3dsMax2012 ,My scanner/printer software my Canon cameras software etc etc

and the only thing that the HDD will be used for is to direct my photos , music , download folder ,print screen folder to....
basically just storage ?

No, not at all.

The ideal situation is to ONLY place the operating system on the SSD drive and at worst a program or two where you absolutely want to maximize read speeds for that program.

Photoshop does very LITTLE loading once it is running, so it is a good candidate for your "D:" (HDD) drive.

Even Realflight will work just fine being OFF the SSD drive, yet it will still realize a speed increase because the operating system is now very responsive.

Quote:
so would the color scheme folder still be located on the SSD "C' drive or would it /can it be set up to direct/save the new "saved as 'color schemes in RF to a folder on the HDD "D' drive ?

in nut shell what should be the only things on the SSD and what should always go to or be found on the "D' drive ?
I redirected all of my "Personal" folders including "My Documents", "My Pictures", etc to the HDD drive.

You do this by going to your named folder and right clicking on "My Documents", etc... one of the tabs permits you to set a new location... so all I do is change

C:\Users\NAMEOFUSER\Documents

to

D:\Users\NAMEOFUSER\Documents

( Hint create D:\Users\NAMEOFUSER first so it exists ).

When you do this Windows will AUTOMATICALLY move all of your existing files over.

Now when you install, edit, etc... Realflight files, since they exist under "My Documents", you will actually be working on files on the Hard Disk Drive.

Realflight itself is none the wiser ( except for the version export tool here ).

I also have my D:\Program Files\ & D:\Program Files(x86) folders on that drive as well.... anything that I install goes to those folders by specifying things MANUALLY as I mentioned in my prior post.

On one SSD equipped machine I targetted a third Hard Drive ( E: Drive ) for my "User" files to maximize available space.

6 terrabytes seems like such a small space now-a-days, and the Windows Backup 2 Terrabyte limit is sure annoying...
Old 05-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
It doesn't need a adapter for SLI. It uses the graphic chipset on the motherboard in tandem with the installed card in the PCIe slot. The Nvidia Driver will see it as a SLI configuration when it's enabled though.
Interesting... I've never tried this... it would be interesting to see if Maj's setup will work.

If it does work it may resort to the capabilities of the lesser chipset.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Yes it does use the system memory when enabled. The amount is selectable in the bios. The max is either 256 or 512mb. Minimum is 32mb
Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Ok thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Interesting... I've never tried this... it would be interesting to see if Maj's setup will work.

If it does work it may resort to the capabilities of the lesser chipset.
Well that would be kinda point less then wouldn't it ?
AS I'm sure my 8600gt will out perform a chipset any day of the week
Old 05-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Well that would be kinda point less then wouldn't it ?
AS I'm sure my 8600gt will out perform a chipset any day of the week
"chipset" is a generic term and does not refer to any maker in particular.

In this case I use "chipset" to designate the main GPU chip on the Nvidia boards...

e.g. the G101 or G110, etc...

Since you have dissimiliar boards, one may use an earlier or inferior GPU chip ( chipset ) and the SLI setup MAY only use the capabilities of the more inferior of the two on BOTH chips. In other words the drivers may only speak the "language" they both understand so-to-speak.

That is not to say that this may still not be faster than a single GPU setup.

Now Nvidia's web page says that SLI is not supported on 8400 series GPU's and below.

see bottom of this page...

Click me!

Last edited by opjose; 05-07-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Yes it does use the system memory when enabled. The amount is selectable in the bios. The max is either 256 or 512mb. Minimum is 32mb
Huh? Now I'm confused.

You are referring to SHARED VIDEO MEMORY ( which is not a good thing ).

I did not mention VRAM or shared video memory.

If enabling the on board GPU kicks on shared video memory, then the whole thing is mute... you'll get such a big performance HIT that this is not worth doing at all.

Better to use the dedicated GPU with it's dedicated VRAM instead.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 PM

OK, I guess no one knows of a better way to get them connected, so I have asked Asus to try to contact KE via

http://www.gpsoftware.com/contacts.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: