Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 6
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Administrator

I know RealFlight tech support has been in contact with ASUS support. As far as I'm aware they've been responding as necessary. I'll have to ask them about it.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Update: I've confirmed that RealFlight support has been in regular contact with ASUS. I'm not sure what led to that comment, other than possibly a small delay around this past weekend. At any rate, I don't think it's an issue at all.

The latest word we have is that ASUS solved the problem with a BIOS update. It's not clear to me if they intend to release that as a final fix or what the details are of the root problem. Hopefully we can get a little more info. But that's definitely progress, which is great.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
i hope it fixes my issue with my interlink elite causing boot problems , glad they are working on it
Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
Update: I've confirmed that RealFlight support has been in regular contact with ASUS. I'm not sure what led to that comment, other than possibly a small delay around this past weekend. At any rate, I don't think it's an issue at all.

The latest word we have is that ASUS solved the problem with a BIOS update. It's not clear to me if they intend to release that as a final fix or what the details are of the root problem. Hopefully we can get a little more info. But that's definitely progress, which is great.
I'll ask them to email you again, because it sounded like they are waiting for some information from you and you are also waiting for them. So perhaps a message was missed.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Well…

I got another email from Asus. This one says that KE doesn't want to do further studying of the issue and there is nothing wrong with the motherboard so they're not going to release a formal BIOS to deal with it.

They then asked me to confirm that the "special BIOS" is working fine for me. However, I've only put the "special BIOS" on a test system that was used ONLY to test booting with the Interlink. I've never tested it on a "production system" as I don’t think of myself as a BIOS compatibility testing house.

They also said:
"So please feedback if you have some ideas with the Simulator manufactor's handling on this case."

Um…

So… I guess if the finger-pointing continues, I will probably try Phoenix on Dad's computer and remember to pull the Interlink when booting mine. Or maybe I'll stick the beta/"special" BIOS on my main system someday when I'm feeling lucky.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Well…

I got another email from Asus. This one says that KE doesn't want to do further studying of the issue and there is nothing wrong with the motherboard so they're not going to release a formal BIOS to deal with it.

They then asked me to confirm that the "special BIOS" is working fine for me. However, I've only put the "special BIOS" on a test system that was used ONLY to test booting with the Interlink. I've never tested it on a "production system" as I don’t think of myself as a BIOS compatibility testing house.

They also said:
"So please feedback if you have some ideas with the Simulator manufactor's handling on this case."

Um…

So… I guess if the finger-pointing continues, I will probably try Phoenix on Dad's computer and remember to pull the Interlink when booting mine. Or maybe I'll stick the beta/"special" BIOS on my main system someday when I'm feeling lucky.
So, they fixed it with a bios update to THEIR board/bios... And yet, it's not an issue with the motherboard. I see.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:00 PM

I should note. Turning off legacy USB in your bios will probably fix this for you.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbasher View Post
So, they fixed it with a bios update to THEIR board/bios... And yet, it's not an issue with the motherboard. I see.
Don't you love it?

Yup, they know HOW to fix it and can fix it, but elect not to roll it out.

I've been here with other BIOS issues not related to Realflight.

Usually what happens is that when they get a high number of complaints with something similiar they will revisit the "fix" and finally push it out to all new revisions.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Administrator

That is different than what they've said to us.

ASUS indicated they had solved the problem with a BIOS update, and that pending their internal verification process, they would upload that to the official website for all affected models.

They did invite us to pursue it further, but in light of the above there didn't seem to be anything left to do. They did not divulge anything about the actual source of the problem after they figured it out. As far as we know, it was a problem on their end.

ASUS certainly did not indicate they would postpone or completely cancel the updated BIOS release unless they got something more from us.

So, I'm afraid I can't explain what you're saying, Orion. Perhaps the language barrier is an issue. Or maybe we're talking to different people.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM

I forwarded another reference to this thread, as well as a private message from mrbasher to Asus. I also asked for any information on how they "fixed" the issue in the beta BIOS that they sent. The response is:

Quote:
As you can see, the supported on the Simulator forum also mentioned that this
issue happened on other Z87 seris boards, even on other brands Z87 boards, so it
isn't the bug of the bios of the Z87-PLUS board, so there wouldn't be the formal
bios released for this board.

Also generally I am afraid to say that we don't provide the detailed information
how the test bios solved the issue, but this time I would check with the test
department to see if they could help to provide the information.

Hope you can understand.
Wonderful.

Can anyone name any Z87 boards that don't have this issue?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
my P8 Z77-V LE board goes into a loop on start up and will not load windows with the interlink elite plugged in , if i pull the plug it will load windows every time .

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30663 .this is the other thread with this problem

Last edited by doug schluter; 07-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM

don't forget to get your interlink back Ryan ...thatv or they can ship it to my house !.... I need a new one!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:28 AM

Interesting that others are reporting this issue with Z87 motherboards and other USB devices...

The problem does not seem to be isolated to the Interlink....

Click Me!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:37 PM

It is certainly not isolated to the Interlink controller. In fact, if you ask a local computer shop about the issue they will tell you all about the many customers that have thought their PC was broken because it won't boot with their camera, phone, webcam, or usb hard drive, etc. connected...

I actually came across this topic while searching for a way to combat this issue on a device I am currently developing. The device is a game controller, though not for RC simulation. The device is built and firmware programmed by me personally, and I have full control of what it is doing with regard to USB communication.

I have been working on resolving this issue for going on 50 to 60 hours now. I have gone so far as to purchase a hardware USB analyzer ($$$) to see if I could determine what the issue is actually is. I cannot tell if there is an issue with the bios or the device itself at this point.

Some things to note:

- My board is an AsRock Z87M OC Formula.

- The bios exhibits this behavior no matter what is plugged in. If this particular device is plugged in, the bios halts and wait for... I don't know what.

- Data is being transferred back and forth between device and host while this halt is taking place.

- If the device is slowed down to 250hz updates and below, there is are no issues.

- If the the Reset button is pressed on the motherboard after the system has frozen, it boots fine every time. Something to note here... When this happens, the computer polls the device an precisely 8ms intervals, ignoring the timing requirements set by the device. This is not USB Spec.

Personally, I am extremely aggravated by the stance the motherboards manufacturers have taken on this. The finger pointing is ridiculous. The issue here seems to be the chipset itself and there is a way to handle the problem via bios updates. Intel is not fixing their chips per their current errata document. One of my testers that had this issue solved it by updating his bios. He is using an MSI board. Turning off legacy support will also take care of it.

Customers don't look at things the same way manufacturers do. They see that every device but this one works fine, so it must be the device. However, the fact remains, the devices that don't work on any Z87 or Z77 board work just fine in everything else. In fact, they work just fine once they are in the OS on the same machine.

I have run my device through the USB IF certification tool without error...

If a company like ASUS doesn't want to fix their bios, that is fine. They need to let people like myself and KnifeEdge know what the issue is so we can fix our product. One or the other, I don't care which it is.

I think I may need to purchase an interlink just so I can see what similarities there are here...

Last edited by mrbasher; 07-06-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:46 PM

I made some more headway... Mind you before I say this, my device is representing itself properly as a full speed device and not super speed (3.0)

I have determined the the issue seems to be the the bios interpreting the device as a USB 3.0 device by mistake. Here is how I came to that determination:

On my motherboard, the xHCI settings are called Intel 3.0 Mode I believe. There are 4 settings: Smart Auto, Auto, Enabled, and Disabled.

On Smart Auto, most of the time the device is sensed incorrectly and runs at some odd polling rate. I believe when this is happening, the host is actually expecting specific data from the device which it is not getting.

On Auto, it seems to work every time, polling at 8ms each time.

On Enabled, it never works. This is where I started to realize something odd was going on. Enabled sets the ports to operate ONLY at 3.0. The other two are supposed to sense whether the device is 2.0 or 3.0 compliant.

Disabled simply makes the ports operate at 2.0 speeds.

So... I am unsure as to how this can be fixed at this point. Though this points to the motherboard incorrectly sensing the speed of the device. When I say speed, I mean the spec, 2.0 or 3.0.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: