Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM

First time set up with Taranis

My Taranis setup with OpenTX ver. 2940 of 2/2/14, Companion 9X ver. 1.52, RF7, Win 8.0

C9X (superseded by OpenTX companion) makes setting up your Taranis a lot easier. The following assumes that you are already familiar with using the (free) companion:

1. Turn on the Taranis, click thru any warnings, plug Taranis into USB, wait for chimes, open the companion.
2. Read the Taranis eeprom.
3. Set up a new model by double clicking on a blank line.
4. In Setup>Model Setup …
5. Fill in model name e.g. RF7
6. Set trainer mode to slave
7. Set both RF modules to off
8. Set channels to 8, leave other settings at defaults.
9. In mixes tab…
10. Set Ch1 to Ail, 2 to Elev, 3 to Throttle, 4 to Rudder
11. Set Ch 5 to SF, 6 to S2, 7 to SE, 8 to SB (these can be changed to suit)
12. Burn the eeprom to the Taranis, save the file, close the companion.
13. Connect the Taranis to the interface and the interface to the USB.
14. Open RF7, open simulation tab, select controller, profile, interlink…
15. Calibrate your Taranis
16. You should now be ready to fly (and fiddle all these settings!)

This was my first time set up and I may have missed something(s). Please leave me a note if you find any mistakes, have any suggestions, etc. ENJOY!!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 PM

I posted a link to this thread from the Radio setup sticky thread... thanks for posting radio setup information.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 PM

You should really bold or highlight item #1. Most radio users do not expect to have to turn on their radios to use slave trainer mode. The Taranis is different.

I setup a Taranis with RF7 as well, but instead I turned off all software mixing in RF7 and just copied a model setup on the Taranis that I wanted to fly in RF7.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Turning off 'software mixing" setting is fine for planes, you need the mixing for flying helicopters.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Turning off 'software mixing" setting is fine for planes, you need the mixing for flying helicopters.

Why is that? I'm pretty new to RF7 and haven't tried a heli yet and have know idea what it could be doing under the hood. What specifically does the mixing do that can't be done on the TX?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 AM

There was another thread about this issue. The CPPM mixing is currently best done by the software as the software is not setup to receive raw radio CPPM mixing. This may change in the future.

With planes, it is not an issue. Having one setup for all airplanes is rather limiting IMHO.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Unhappy

I too am using an existing model with r2940.

All works well except the elevator flap mix I have.
Nothing I can do in the software, or the radio will correct the fact that when I pull on the elevator, one aileron goes up, and one goes down while the mix is in effect.

Anyone else run across this situation?

Thanks
Bob
Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Unhappy

Seems like the issue at hand is that Realflight only sees one aileron servo
in the plane edit, but shows two aileron servos in the calibration screen.

Oh well...
Old 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Can anyone give a more newbie specific explanation on how to link the Taranis X9D using the SLT and companion. I mean like: ok...now go to this link and download companion...now go here but don't forget to do this. Even a vid would be very beneficial. Us newbies really appreciate anyone that takes the time to help us out..
Old 03-07-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowality View Post
Can anyone give a more newbie specific explanation on how to link the Taranis X9D using the SLT and companion. I mean like: ok...now go to this link and download companion...now go here but don't forget to do this. Even a vid would be very beneficial. Us newbies really appreciate anyone that takes the time to help us out..
What is this "companion"?

I don't have a Taranis so I don't know what you are talking about.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
What is this "companion"?

I don't have a Taranis so I don't know what you are talking about.

"OpenTX Companion" is the optional PC software for programming models and settings for OpenTX radios. I think the basics of OpenTX Companion usage are outside the scope of this forum, there are other great "intro to OpenTX programming" sites and videos on the 'Net. Try starting with OpenTX University. Once you have that down, then setting up a model for use specifically for RealFlight is something you could ask on these forums.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:57 PM

For some reason I cant use Companion 9X. I have to use OpenTX Companion.

All for my switches are working, but my sticks arent in the calibration on RF7.5

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM

Sounds like a configuration issue in your transmitter. I would look at a Taranis forum for further information since few on this forum have that radio.

The people who have been here for years all use the interlink since it works out of the box and we can still connect our own transmitters to it if needed.

Last edited by csgill75; 04-19-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM

I have tried everything I know to do. I even had a guy that uses a Taranis send me his RF7 model from his radio. Still the same thing. Gonna call support when they open today.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflyguy View Post
For some reason I cant use Companion 9X. I have to use OpenTX Companion.

All for my switches are working, but my sticks arent in the calibration on RF7.5

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Companion 9x is the old software for older OpenTX firmware. CompanionTX is the current software for the latest firmware. Use CompanionTX.

For the sim model, I use a simple model that maps eight channels to the sticks and few switches. Verify you're in slave PPM mode. Don't do any dual rates or expo on the Taranis. Then, verify in the channel output screen of the TX that you're getting the output you expect when you move the sticks and switches you have assigned. Finally, you should calibrate in RF and save as a new transmitter in RF.

If you used someone else's model, it sounds like you have an issue with the RF or configuration, but I'm not sure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: