Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to maxx2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yes you're right you can't do anything to help the sound it's how it's converted by RealFlight for use in the Simulator. I imagine KE in-house has the ability to improve it but a generic sound importer isn't quite how they do it. Or at least they have more experience tweaking the samples for a better outcome. But none the less thanks for your sound it's very good. How about uploading a link to your ogg files that will make the sound profile much smaller. And do you mind if I use it in the release of my plane showcasing my new radial engine? I just added the exhaust ring so it's nearly done. I still need to add the exhaust pipes and an engine mount and that will be it. There's no cowl because the plane was created to showcase the engine.
Hi !

I will upload a ne AV today. I reworked the sound and the RPMs a little bit, also the file format to keep it smaller.

Edit: There will be come a third and maybe a fourth version. Because im still not happy with the sounds

maxx2504

PS: When im done with the Moki SOund i will make a Kolm Engine. The only problem is to find some good videos with good sound quality

Last edited by maxx2504; 11-24-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2504 View Post
Hi !

I will upload a ne AV today. I reworked the sound and the RPMs a little bit, also the file format to keep it smaller.

Edit: There will be come a third and maybe a fourth version. Because im still not happy with the sounds

maxx2504

PS: When im done with the Moki SOund i will make a Kolm Engine. The only problem is to find some good videos with good sound quality
Very cool keep them coming.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
very nice maxx2504 i have to agree keep them coming
Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 PM

Hi !

I uploaded a new version of my MOKI250 sound. i tried my best. I wish we got a constant pitch sound of a warbird with full throttle but that is impossible

maxx2504
Old 11-25-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2504 View Post
Hi !

I uploaded a new version of my MOKI250 sound. i tried my best. I wish we got a constant pitch sound of a warbird with full throttle but that is impossible

maxx2504
Got it very nice, thanks for the ogg files.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:22 AM
Administrator

I haven't heard the sound profile you guys are discussing, so I can't comment on it directly. But I can speak a bit about the topic in general.

How are you evaluating the sounds in RealFlight? You are likely aware of this, but RealFlight applies a low pass filter to simulation sounds when in nose cam or any onboard cam, to simulate the muffling effect that occurs from being inside a cockpit. That would definitely have the effect you described, technoid.

RealFlight also applies a low-pass filter to sounds that are behind the listener to simulate a basic head-related transfer function (you'll have to Google that one for more info).

Make sure the "look at" is set to "My Aircraft" and you're using Fixed or Chase cam to eliminate these concerns.

Aside from the above, RealFlight plays the sounds as they exist. We're not doing anything special that you guys aren't/can't.

However, RealFlight does adjust the volume based on a number of different factors. If you're not encountering the LPF as described above, then I strongly suspect what you observe as a difference in sound quality is actually just a difference in volume. The sounds are probably significantly quieter in RealFlight, and the way our brains process sound, even a slightly louder sound usually sounds much better to us.

Maxing out the volume settings within the sim won't actually make much of a difference. Assuming your Windows system volume is also all the way up, you'll probably need to turn up your speaker volume to get them much louder. I suggest you do that and compare again at a volume equal to or greater than however you're listening to them outside of RealFlight.

A few other things worth mentioning:

Samples are played in mono in RealFlight. If you're listening to stereo samples outside of RealFlight, that could conceivably explain some of the difference in what you're hearing. I'm pretty sure the two channels are simply combined for playback if you're using stereo samples, and in some situations I believe this can even cause phase issues.

Do you have a 5.1 or similar speaker setup? If so, and if the samples are in stereo, then when you listen to them outside of RealFlight you're probably hearing them in your left and right channels (speakers), whereas within RealFlight the sound would just be coming from your center channel (depending on camera details as alluded to above). That will also introduce a small difference in the way you're experiencing the sounds in and out of RealFlight. I'm not sure it's likely to be a factor, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

Probably the best way you can evaluate the sounds in RealFlight would be to crank up your speakers and then either:
  1. Get in the air, use the console commands "lockposition" and "lockorientation", then use orbit camera mode or equivalent to get as close to the aircraft as possible while still looking at it; or
  2. Go to the Camera section in the Settings dialog and set the chase distance to the smallest value allowed, then get in the air, select Chase cam (and optionally lock the position & orientation as described above); then,
vary the RPM and listen to the sounds.

Note that the editor applies a volume reduction of its own. So even though the camera is near the aircraft in that scenario, it doesn't provide the best listening environment.

I hope this helps!
Old 11-26-2015, 08:17 AM

Hi !

I mentioned that Realflight don't have seperate propeller sound. Only engine sounds are in the sim right ?
That would be a nice feature when you would implement sounds for the different propellers on planes. Because thats the same what happen in real life. Every propeller has his own sound characteristic.

Would that be possible ? Because, for example, warbirds have different sounds on the ground and in the air.

maxx2504

PS: I use mono files for my sound and it sounds good in my sim. I have some experience in soundmaking for other games. I use Audacity and Wavelab.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Aside from a prop bark effect that we add under certain circumstances, that's correct, the prop sounds are part of the engine sound. Ideally they would be separate, as you point out. However, the degree of difficulty in capturing those independently goes up considerably, and we have not designed RealFlight to work that way.

I'm glad you have some audio experience and are enjoying making new sounds for RealFlight! I'm gladder still that you say you're getting good results.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:24 PM

Ryan,

Thanks for the long post about how RealFlight works with sounds I found it very interesting and informative. I have a question and I suppose it's a simple comment. It would be nice if there was a way to have some influence on the level that RealFlight varies the volume for distance. One of the radial sounds I played with would have sounded much better if the volume change for distance wasn't so large. To me it sounded much quieter than it would in real life when the plane was a fair distance from the flyer. I know the sound varies a lot in real life due to distance to the plane but some engines, like a radial has such a strong sound profile the sound stays stronger over a longer distance. So an input in the engine profile to influence the varying volume levels would be a nice addition.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Ryan,

Thanks for the long post about how RealFlight works with sounds I found it very interesting and informative. I have a question and I suppose it's a simple comment. It would be nice if there was a way to have some influence on the level that RealFlight varies the volume for distance. One of the radial sounds I played with would have sounded much better if the volume change for distance wasn't so large. To me it sounded much quieter than it would in real life when the plane was a fair distance from the flyer. I know the sound varies a lot in real life due to distance to the plane but some engines, like a radial has such a strong sound profile the sound stays stronger over a longer distance. So an input in the engine profile to influence the varying volume levels would be a nice addition.
I don't recommend doing the following if you don't know exactly what you are doing, but there is a way. In Realflight.ini there is a line near the bottom of the file in a section called "[Sound]". There is a line called "3DRolloffFactor=FLOAT:0.45". Smaller values increase volume at a distance and well as increase the max hearing distance. Larger values do the opposite.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I don't recommend doing the following if you don't know exactly what you are doing, but there is a way. In Realflight.ini there is a line near the bottom of the file in a section called "[Sound]". There is a line called "3DRolloffFactor=FLOAT:0.45". Smaller values increase volume at a distance and well as increase the max hearing distance. Larger values do the opposite.
Thanks for the info, got no problem messing with stuff Of course per engine profile would be best, but I will definitely try this out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: