Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:31 PM

I have seen the 747 Dreamlifter a few times going into JFK, boy is it a weird lookin' plane.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Don't forget about the Aerospacelines Guppy and Super Guppy, Boeing Dreamlifter, Airbus Beluga. Of course the Spruce Goose is there in size if not capability.

Lots of interesting designs. I don't like those pictures of one plane in front of another... it is just like showing the fish you caught... of course you push it out in front of you to make it look bigger! Works every time.
I think it is not just the size but the amount of overkill involved in the design. 32 wheels 4 of which are nose wheels. The next highest is the A380 at 22 and 2 of which nose wheels (I think). 6 huge engines. Granted it is still smaller and has few engines the Hughes H-4 but they are still both impressive.

The modified airliners just look like they where "photo chopped" and just don't do it for me. (yes I put a c in photo shopped intentionally). And it does not help that every airliner looks roughly the same in design. An I prefer the unique/iconic designs or rare/limited production planes like the P6M-2, Tu-95, or X-48.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
, thus disproving your notion
Not Dis-proven. The AN-225 is Larger than a 747 but not that much larger in length and wingspan or overall height. Gross Weight The 225 is larger of course but actual wingspan, the Spruce Goose has everyone beat. The "picture for Scale" makes the 747 look half the length.

Not to imply the AN-225 isn't a Technical Marvel, It is, but the latest version of the 747-8 is only 25ft. shorter than the An-225(also the 747 is 3ft. longer than the A-380), can fly higher, faster and go farther with a full cargo load than an An-225. so all that size gains it a 33% more lifting capacity over the 747. If we go into the special variants of the 747, The 747 Dreamlifter of which there are 4 of in service has a volume capacity of 65,000 cubic feet inside its fusalage while the AN-225 has just 46,000 cubic feet of usable space. That Buran shuttle was also lighter than the Space Shuttle that the 747 used to carry (62 tons for the Buran 68 tons for the Space Shuttle). Another not so well known fact is that the Columbia was the heaviest of all of the space Shuttles by about 8,000 lbs.

Last edited by csgill75; 04-25-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 PM

Hope this vid. makes it through.http://www.modelairplanenews.com/newsletter/?nid=244543
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 AM

Unusual designs are cool, but the reason all passenger jets look alike is because form follows function. What ever is the least expensive will be the pattern of which others are cut. Burt Ruttan sure did not follow the cookie cutter school of design. As successful as he is, his designs are not popular. If someone is plunking money down, they want conservative thinking and design.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 PM

A little teaser

I guess a little update is in order. So here are a few screenshots of the landing gears moving over bumps, takeoff, and knelling. I have an idea on the nose door movement and the interior so it may still happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1463938598.jpg (436.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1463938664.jpg (270.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1463938963.jpg (193.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1463938971.jpg (325.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 PM

Nice very nice. Looks great Legoman , hope to see it on the swaps soon!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:27 PM

Looking good Legoman!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Looks great Legoman, I gotta ask though, Do the main gears steer on the An-225, such as on the C-5 Galaxy, and if so, are you going to make that happen with this model ?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Looks great Legoman, I gotta ask though, Do the main gears steer on the An-225, such as on the C-5 Galaxy, and if so, are you going to make that happen with this model ?
They do rotate I am not sure if it is "freely" or if they do have steering. In realflight the rotate freely ability on 6 out of the seven is auto slide/skid mode at more than one or two mph.

On another note I shut off 3 engines on the right side in flight (you lose fuel flow to one wing) and their was no adverse torque or yaw that was not easily over come able. The huge rudders are to thank.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
They do rotate I am not sure if it is "freely" or if they do have steering. In realflight the rotate freely ability on 6 out of the seven is auto slide/skid mode at more than one or two mph.

On another note I shut off 3 engines on the right side in flight (you lose fuel flow to one wing) and their was no adverse torque or yaw that was not easily over come able. The huge rudders are to thank.
I would guess, that they steer...? The C-5 can hit a switch (I guess) that enables all the landing gear to stay parallel to the runway (via rudder input, I think), while the plane is at an angel to the runway, (due to a cross wind approach), SO, no need to kick the rudder hard to align the plane with the runway, right before touchdown, the plane essentially lands sideways with the wheels straight to the runway. Not sure how far they can take that yaw approach angel though, I would guess 20-25 degrees max.?? While on the ground the plane can "crab" sideways (about 25-30 degrees to the runway ?) with that setup, I saw it at an airshow once, was pretty darn cool.

Last edited by uncle twist; 05-22-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I would guess, that they steer...? The C-5 can hit a switch (I guess) that enables all the landing gear to stay parallel to the runway (via rudder input, I think), while the plane is at an angel to the runway, (due to a cross wind approach), SO, no need to kick the rudder hard to align the plane with the runway, right before touchdown, the plane essentially lands sideways with the wheels straight to the runway. Not sure how far they can take that yaw approach angel though, I would guess 20-25 degrees max.?? While on the ground the plane can "crab" sideways (about 25-30 degrees to the runway ?) with that setup, I saw it at an airshow once, was pretty darn cool.
Yes the crabbing is cool and is useful on landings, but they have a crank/knob/ratchet... on the dash to set the angle.

I was going to was it would be hard to set up and not break the landing gear on landing(I have tried before on the B-52). But an AFS gyro could line the wheels up perfectly every time. You would just need to set up a bunch of mixers for the steering mixed with crab angle.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes the crabbing is cool and is useful on landings, but they have a crank/knob/ratchet... on the dash to set the angle.

I was going to was it would be hard to set up and not break the landing gear on landing(I have tried before on the B-52). But an AFS gyro could line the wheels up perfectly every time. You would just need to set up a bunch of mixers for the steering mixed with crab angle.
I take back the part about the afs gyro working. The yaw afs gyro reads/corrects the roll angle not yaw.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 PM

No doubt, it would be extremely hard to set up in RF, regular functioning gear will wok just fine for the purpose in RF.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
No doubt, it would be extremely hard to set up in RF, regular functioning gear will wok just fine for the purpose in RF.
The thing is I setup it between posts 57 and 58 and it would have worked perfectly for approaches <25 degrees of crab, if realflight did not have the bug in the yaw afs gyro

Last edited by legoman; 05-22-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: change phrasing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: