Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RF-X - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Custom content support coming soon!

We just announced upcoming support for custom content in RF-X.

More detailed info about the art process and pipeline will be released as soon as we can. In the meantime, if you make something that would work in 7.5 it will be possible to get it into RF-X, so we encourage you to start modeling now!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:03 PM

Boy oh boy oh boy... happy days are here again. I'm sorry for doubting and griping please accept my apologies. I will pre-order RF-X before I go to bed tonight. Ryan, you're my hero.. thank you ... thank you ... thank you!
Old 10-14-2016, 11:43 PM

Wings 3D --> RFX

As an FYI (correct me if I'm wrong Ryan), it should still be possible for those who are more comfortable and proficient in Wings to model there, and then go through Max for the same pivoting adjustments as they have in the past.
Newer versions of Max may make the pivot adjustments easier, we'll have to see.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 PM

For the CS work, will there still be only one map?
Old 10-15-2016, 03:45 PM

Is the stand alone editor also used to edit airports?
Old 10-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
As an FYI (correct me if I'm wrong Ryan), it should still be possible for those who are more comfortable and proficient in Wings to model there, and then go through Max for the same pivoting adjustments as they have in the past.
Newer versions of Max may make the pivot adjustments easier, we'll have to see.
Nothing should change with going from wings to max. As far as pivots go, 16 sets the exact same way as 12 or any other version that I've used.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Great questions!

As far as I'm aware, nothing would stop someone from modeling in Wings 3D originally and then bringing things into Max for the necessary finishing work.

Support for multiple textures is one of our goals, but it's too soon to say one way or the other.

There is currently no airport editor planned for RF-X. The process for creating worlds and modifying airports is very different in this new engine, and we have no tool of our own making that we can share with end users as we have done in the past.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
There is currently no airport editor planned for RF-X. The process for creating worlds and modifying airports is very different in this new engine, and we have no tool of our own making that we can share with end users as we have done in the past.
This begs the question whether custom airports from previous versions can be imported.

--"There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't."
Old 10-21-2016, 10:11 AM

Helicopter Practice

Ryan, being able to modify flying fields is a big deal to me.. one of the things that I have spent a lot of time doing is making and modifying flying fields. Could you explain more about how many and what type of flying fields are going to be available in RF-X.

One thing that I absolutely need is practice targets laid out on the ground for teaching heli pilots to maneuver. The picture shows one of the arrangements that we use. You main competitor' product has a big bulls-eye circle target with cross hairs laid out on the ground. If you could add a couple arrangements like this, please. If the targets are flush, they don't cause a problem for any other aircraft.

Anyone can fly, it takes practice to put the aircraft where you want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baseball_Practice.jpg (518.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I closed the door a little too firmly on the idea of an airport editor. It is more accurate to say that we don't have a tool we can share with users right now, and support for custom vehicles is our current focus, but the ability to create and edit airports is also something we would like to offer at some point.

theluthier, airports from previous versions of RealFlight are not importable at this time.

12oclockhigh, I will file a feature request case for the idea of a heli training layout.

As far as what kinds of airports exist, they cover things like updated versions of Flight School and Joe's Garage, an FPV racing course, R/C fields, mountainous terrains, and slope soaring sites.

I suggest visiting http://realflight.com/products/rfx/gpmz4540.php and clicking the Aircraft and Flying Sites tabs for more info. The site has been updated with high resolution preview images.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I closed the door a little too firmly on the idea of an airport editor. It is more accurate to say that we don't have a tool we can share with users right now, and support for custom vehicles is our current focus, but the ability to create and edit airports is also something we would like to offer at some point.

theluthier, airports from previous versions of RealFlight are not importable at this time.

12oclockhigh, I will file a feature request case for the idea of a heli training layout.

As far as what kinds of airports exist, they cover things like updated versions of Flight School and Joe's Garage, an FPV racing course, R/C fields, mountainous terrains, and slope soaring sites.

I suggest visiting http://realflight.com/products/rfx/gpmz4540.php and clicking the Aircraft and Flying Sites tabs for more info. The site has been updated with high resolution preview images.
Are all the normal photo sites included, non 3d sites. Like the Sod Farm?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM

Ryan,

Thank you
Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Well, thank you for all your hard work, but I'm not paying 99 bucks for something that, save for a new graphics and physics engine, is actually less developed than rf7.5.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brields View Post
Well, thank you for all your hard work, but I'm not paying 99 bucks for something that, save for a new graphics and physics engine, is actually less developed than rf7.5.

It's not that it's less developed, it's redeveloped and knife edge is starting over from scratch with new software under the hood.

It's what we have been wanting for a very long time.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:42 PM

Glad to see some good news!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: