Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-25-2016, 11:07 AM

RF-X verdict ??

I know some people have the new sim installed. Just wanna know what y'all think and if anyone else had any problems with performance. I really did think my system would be sufficient to operate the program. Do you think my windows 7 is running in 32 bit instead of 64 bit? Would that cause the low fps's that I'm experiencing? I called horizon and the guys said I should add another 16 gigs of ram. I already have 16 installed. My CPU is not near the best (amd FX-6300) but is over the minimal specs required to run. (FX4300 I think). Wd SATA hd 1 tb. Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 right now but the 1060 is in the mail.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:45 AM

If you're running 32-bit Windows, you are only using 3.5gb of your memory. You will need to install the 64-bit version of Windows for starters. This is a limitation of 32-bit operating systems.

That is probably why you don't see better performance.

Last edited by csgill75; 10-25-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmccurdy25 View Post
I know some people have the new sim installed. Just wanna know what y'all think and if anyone else had any problems with performance. I really did think my system would be sufficient to operate the program. Do you think my windows 7 is running in 32 bit instead of 64 bit? Would that cause the low fps's that I'm experiencing? I called horizon and the guys said I should add another 16 gigs of ram. I already have 16 installed. My CPU is not near the best (amd FX-6300) but is over the minimal specs required to run. (FX4300 I think). Wd SATA hd 1 tb. Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 right now but the 1060 is in the mail.
I'm really interested in your system because I have a GTX 760 too and expect it will be sufficient to run RF-X fairly well. I'm not sure how our processors compare I have an Intel I7 4770S (the low power 3.1 Ghz model). My RF-X is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday so it won't be long before I can give a report too. Being honest I'm expecting it to run RF-X pretty good (not tops). I may get a GTX 1070 I don't think the GTX 1060 would be a huge jump from a GTX 760. More of course but not the huge jump the GTX 1070 would be, but the 1070 is a lot more money. Anyway I'll be reporting how RF-X runs on my system after I install it and I'm sure the others will do the same thing. Hopefully they've optimized it before shipping it but sometimes that's done in the first update after release. I think that's not the way to do it since you're judged on what gets out first and it's hard to recover from bad press.

Check your 32-64 Windows 7 by right clicking on Computer and choosing Properties. Then look at the System Type in the dialog box to see 32 or 64 bit Operating System. But if you have 16 Gig of RAM it should be 64 because 32 bit only supports up to 4 Gig of RAM. So you should be good there. Also the SATA vs SSD thing is pretty much just how long it takes to load RF-X. It should run the same FPS either way. Of course loading textures happens but I kinda think that shouldn't be a problem with 16 Gig of RAM. And that would cause temporary glitches not a constant low frame rate. And I also expect RF in general will load all of the textures when the sim loads the environment. Anyway I'll report my results as soon as I can.

Last edited by technoid; 10-25-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo
Old 10-25-2016, 12:57 PM

Good to go. I appreciate the response. I think the 1060 will show a significant gain in performance. In specific games, the 1060 almost doubled the overall performance of the 760. What's crazy is I made sure to do a bench mark in the unigines website program (heaven) and scored like a 1400 in high with like 64.fps, with none of this twitching that I'm getting playing RF-x. I will figure this out damn it. If I have to max out my credit cards for a whole new system lol
Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 PM

I've got 2 PC's I want to install rfx on. My new pc which is a I7 skylake z170 computer w/16gb ram and dual 970's. I am curious to see if it will run on my old AMD 6 core system too. It currently runs just about everything I put on it with a single 970 and gets 150-200fps in 7.5.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=csgill75;274230]I've got 2 PC's I want to install rfx on. My new pc which is a I7 skylake z170 computer w/16gb ram and dual 970's. I am curious to see if it will run on my old AMD 6 core system too. It currently runs just about everything I put on it with a single 970 and gets 150-200fps in 7.5

Holy crap!!! Dual 970's with the top i7 CPU. If it don't run on that , nothing will run it!!
The guy at real flight said my 760 was bigger then the card he had on his computer and his run rfx. I don't want to be stirring up a pot here but was just wondering how everyone else's rfx was
Old 10-25-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Holy crap!!! Dual 970's with the top i7 CPU. If it don't run on that , nothing will run it!!
The guy at real flight said my 760 was bigger then the card he had on his computer and his run rfx. I don't want to be stirring up a pot here but was just wondering how everyone else's rfx was
Yeah and its one of my cheapest builds I've done for a fairly high end gaming pc. Total money I have invested is around $1,200.00. Not counting the SSDs. I have 4 1tb 850 pro SSDs in it too. No spinning drives and a old DVD burner for optical discs.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
If you're running 32-bit Windows, you are only using 3.5gb of your memory. You will need to install the 64-bit version of Windows for starters. This is a limitation of 32-bit operating systems.

That is probably why you don't see better performance.
100% correct..!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Just got home and looked to see what operating system , it's. 64 bit. Also looking in event viewer and yesterday when running rfx windows was reporting warning that says" video memory resources are over utilized in there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition " does this have to do with the gtx 760 video mem? It's a 4gig video memory card
Old 10-25-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Just got home and looked to see what operating system , it's. 64 bit. Also looking in event viewer and yesterday when running rfx windows was reporting warning that says" video memory resources are over utilized in there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition " does this have to do with the gtx 760 video mem? It's a 4gig video memory card
What resolution do you run RF at? Was there any other running 3D apps? My GTX 760 only has 2 Gig of RAM. It'll sure be interesting to see how my system runs RF-X. But if it doesn't that's too stiff of a requirement. I'll upgrade my card no problem but it should run decent on my system.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 PM

A 760 should be able to handle RF-X, but probably at lower settings. When you get your 1060, you should see an improvement, but the CPU may be a bottleneck then. I would definitely invest in a SSD. It's not just loading the initial software but every time a texture loads or you select a different model, it reads that from your drive. Making that faster will speed up realflight. I've been using SSDs for years on all my computers and now the prices are where I don't have to have a spinning disk any more and still have multiple terabytes of space. I still have 4 hard drives in my old AMD system that I use as network storage for videos, music, photos and backup files but it boots on a SSD.

Of course having my I7 boot from power on to desktop in 10 seconds or so is pretty cool though

Last edited by csgill75; 10-25-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
A 760 should be able to handle RF-X, but probably at lower settings. When you get your 1060, you should see an improvement, but the CPU may be a bottleneck then. I would definitely invest in a SSD. It's not just loading the initial software but every time a texture loads or you select a different model, it reads that from your drive. Making that faster will speed up realflight. I've been using SSDs for years on all my computers and now the prices are where I don't have to have a spinning disk any more and still have multiple terabytes of space. I still have 4 hard drives in my old AMD system that I use as network storage for videos, music, photos and backup files but it boots on a SSD.

Of course having my I7 boot from power on to desktop in 10 seconds or so is pretty cool though
I have an SSD and yes it does make the initial load much quicker, that's for sure. And then loading up different fields would be faster too. But my point was 'only' that what he was seeing wasn't something an SSD would fix. But yeah having an SSD is the thing to have now days. My point probably wasn't made clear enough.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Yeah , I was gonna get a 1070 but I knew bottlenecking would be an issue. When I'm running rfx my total CPU usage is only at 40 percent. When I go from normal screen to full screen is a nightmare, the colors all turn to a bright green and red and looks like ****,and that's only in the settings page lol. I know something's just not loading right. If I got anew ssd drive ,would I have to load a new OS ?or could I keep the sata drive and install a SSD and have the option to load things like real flight onto it?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
I used the software that came with the SSD to transfer the OS to it & make it into the boot drive. But I had to off-load all my data onto another drive to make it fit. How big are your SATA & SSD drives, how much data? It could be a real PITA unless your SSD is big enough. I had planned ahead when I got a 2TB HD and partitioned it with system and data partitions, but I still had to move a bunch of stuff to pare the system drive down to fit on a 250G SSD.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:40 PM

I'm a little shocked that support is telling you that you "need another 16GB of ram"
Especially if you already have 16GB of RAM.
What is that about???

I'd expect that 4 or 8GB would run it fine.

Also I'd think/hope am guessing with best intent that running Unigine Heaven Benchmark should give you a pretty good idea if/how your system may run RFX.

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

Steve

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: