Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsr View Post
Installed a couple days ago, and I've been really impressed with it so far. Worthwhile upgrade from RF 7.5.

I have not had any issues with performance, but I wouldn't expect to with my system:

Intel Core i7-6950X, overclocked to 4.2 GHz
Corsair H115i watercooling
MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon mobo
128GB of Corsair DDR4-3200
nVidia Titan X Pascal
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD
Windows 10
64GB of the ram is allocated for ram disk.
(3) 3840x2160 4k 28" monitors

I've been playing at 3840x2160.
Yeah, I would expect RealFlight-X to perform excellent on a $6,000 computer set up. It should perform on a more mainstream $1,500 machine though. Enough so that it's usable. Right now I have it running on a 6 year old system and its usable, enjoyable even the more I use it. I am going to install it on my skylake tomorrow after work.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:31 PM

GRRRR!!!!
Not at great start.

2 separate machines.
Attached Images
File Type: png RFX_3.PNG (130.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrank View Post
GRRRR!!!!
Not at great start.

2 separate machines.
Is your disc scratched? I have not tried to copy the files to a thumb drive to install it but you could try it?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:37 PM

Solved...
It was the Blu-Ray drives.

Had to dig up a very old DVD drive.
Copied to USB stick and it installs without error now.

FYI...
USB must be exactly named:
RFVX_1

No Photofields, 3D only.
Sometimes sound file gets stuck when changing airports.

No multiplayer, airport or aircraft editor, so it's like a very pretty Realflight Basic at this point.

If you had trouble running 3D fields before, this will definitely give your rig a workout.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:55 AM

Realflight x review

Pretty good review I found on RC Groups, resolution looks poor because of fraps program, the actual resolution is much better.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2765058
Old 10-28-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
My initial Thoughts on Realflight X. I will probably edit this post when I use it further.

I haven't installed it on my newer Skylake PC yet but I did install it on my Older AMD system that meets the requirements. Justinmccurdy25 there is something wrong in your setup as I have an older CPU with just a single 970 and 8gb of ram on it and I am getting 50-75FPS with high settings. It has windows 10 though and that is something you might want to consider.
That's good news I was waiting for someone with a newer graphics card to give their frame rate. I knew my GTX 760 would be a problem and have planned an upgrade to a GTX 1070 for a while but haven't really needed it but since you're seeing 50 to 75 FPS with your 970 at least I know I'll be getting good frame rates when I upgrade. My 760 was Mid 20s to Mid 30s most of the time with the graphics settings on High and only changed a little when I lowered the graphics settings to Medium. So with a graphics board upgrade I should be good to go.

My System

Windows 7 (hopefully no difference in performance on DX 11 from Windows 10)
Intel I7 4770S 3.1 Ghz (the low power version 65 watts)
32 GB RAM
GTX 760

So I suppose it's time to spend some bucks and get the GTX 1070. One thing that happened when I installed RF-X. I put the disc in my Samsung DVD drive, since the disc is a DVD, but the system didn't see it.. nothing. Ejected and looked at the disc and it was perfect - no scratches. Put it back in and nothing. Tried to browse the disc and got an error message. I moved the disc to my Blu-ray drive and it worked fine the first time. So for some reason the disc is sensitive to the drive (copy protection?).

I haven't shared much about my initial reaction to RF-X because it wasn't good and I didn't want to share any negatives before hearing some from others. So right now I'm sitting back and waiting for improvements and the developer tools and maybe good things will come to those that wait. But wow, no photo fields or gadgets, what's the deal there. I would venture to say the photo fields are the most popular with RC flyers and are certainly the easiest to render so why not put them there? Use the original picture of the field to create a higher resolution image and go for it. And the planes look a bit fuzzy to me. The 3D fields are improved but seem a bit small, by that I mean if you venture away from the central area there's not much but terrain. To me a 3D field should feel Huge with a fair amount of buildings (stuff) scattered throughout it so when exploring you feel it's close to real. So put more of what they already have but scatter it out over a huge area so when you fly around you have something to see. Vary the textures on the buildings to make them look different and of course a few more types of buildings too. Not really much to implement but a huge difference in the flying experience. Fly down the road from the Farm House and the Hi-Way ends, really? I also don't care much for the new look everything's too large and game like. They also removed some of the advanced settings, like VSync (and other stuff). This just seems like a dumbed down version not something for an RC flyer to experiment with. Everything that made RF 7.5 so cool has been removed. I could go on further but I won't, all you guys see the same thing I do and probably have the same feelings. So share what you think they should put back and improve. Being honest I didn't think the flight physics felt right. I only fly planes so I can't comment on the helis. And why release it before fixing the stutters that everyone is reporting, you only harm your image by putting it out that way. Sure you can fly it that way, but who wants too? The answer is simple, no one.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:00 AM

I installed it this morning on my skylake pc. I don't know what fps I'm getting right now since I don't have a way to measure it installed on it. It's just a clean install of windows 10. It runs a lot better and the stuttering is nearly nonexistent but it is still there. I only got to play with it a couple minutes, tonight I'll delve into it deeper.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
I installed it this morning on my skylake pc. I don't know what fps I'm getting right now since I don't have a way to measure it installed on it. It's just a clean install of windows 10. It runs a lot better and the stuttering is nearly nonexistent but it is still there. I only got to play with it a couple minutes, tonight I'll delve into it deeper.
Open the console and you can use show_fps to get the frame rate on screen.

Open Console: Hold down Control and Alt keys, then press and release the tilde key (~)
Type: show_fps 1 or show_fps 2 for more details

Yeah you're probably seeing the same stuttering I've seen, very quick little micro stutters. Once in a while a longer one. Of course a better graphics card than mine might make that better, but might not too because it might be pauses caused by texture fetching and not rendering related.

Last edited by technoid; 10-28-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:51 AM

It's possible it could be texture fetching. I see more stutter on fields with more objects. I like Joe's Garage because it is fairly desolate and does not have a lot of objects to render. There it is as smooth as it will probably get and it isn't that bad.

Guys who have those 150 dollar graphic cards or who haven't updated since Windows 7 was new, will not have a good experience with realflight X. It needs the memory and it needs the horsepower of today's modern gaming computers. Probably can rule out laptops too....
Old 10-28-2016, 11:31 AM

Welcome to the PAID $180 beta folks.
That's right you get to pay a premium to test brand new untested out in the real world software.

Yes I am sporting a bit of an attitude..

I've asked and PM'd in the past year if I could help out or somehow be a beta tester.

I have NEVER so much as seen a reply from Ryan or 'the team' with even just so much as a "thank you no".

Not that I'm God's gift to flight simulators or anything like that.

Just a great enthusiast and I average 1-2 hours per day practicing RC helis on RF.

I thought maybe I could be of help...

I was perfectly clear in my PMs that I WAS NOT expecting ANY free stuff or free software.
Just wanted to be involved somehow.

*completely ignored and unacknowledged*

And I really hate to nag. So I didn't.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8LBV View Post
Welcome to the PAID $180 beta folks.
That's right you get to pay a premium to test brand new untested out in the real world software.
I don't know how long you have been using realflight, a few of us old timers here should remember the earlier days back in G3-G4 when Knife Edge actively tested realflight with closed and open beta and multi-player sessions. They stopped when G5 came out.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:21 PM

benchmark

I strongly recommend you run some sort of benchmark program to test your system and video card. i just ran one called " heaven" and its pretty demanding. my video card got up to 162 degrees. i was getting 12 FPS which is not great, but it will work. I have an older card. ATI Radeon 4300 / 4500 with 4 gig of video ram. at least I know ill be able to use the new program. just ordered software only. TEST BEFORE YOU BUY
Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmccurdy25 View Post
Thanks you, I thought I was the only one who noticed this **** performance in this sim. You have over the best requirements for hardware. If your computer doesn't play it no ones will right? You know what I liked about real flight 7.5 is they have a vsync option that lets you Match fps to MHz of your monitor. Please real flight slow this option. Thank you for your comment
I looked all over for VSYNC option and there is nothing. A lot less to fiddle with here than in 7.5. Also the Unigine looks great from afar but the trees are very blocky when close. Nothing like the demos on Unigine's website.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
I'm set to receive my Software Only version tomorrow or Saturday. But if that $4200 VR rig won't run it... I guess I'm back to g5.5 for serious practice & 7.5 for multiplayer fun.

That's the nice thing about obsolete versions... you don't have to worry they'll "improve" them.

What frame rate are you getting with that rig?
I have not looked at frame rate. Is there an option for that? I guess I can try something in my driver???? Anyhow I look at the background when I fly past my "face" and I notice the background looking jittery. It does not feel smooth. Keep in mind my PC can run anything else I throw at it with ease with all settings maximized.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDoctor View Post
Anyhow I look at the background when I fly past my "face" and I notice the background looking jittery. It does not feel smooth. Keep in mind my PC can run anything else I throw at it with ease with all settings maximized.
In post #38, Technoid gives a way to display fps. Also, Fraps can do it.

Wow, that's disheartening I think faster refresh rate has a much more noticable benefit than higher resolution. Especially in high motion applications like our favorite RC sim.
Right now, my rig gives me 300-700 fps and my monitors are refreshing at 120hz. Even at normal 1920 x 1080p, aircraft appear very solid and real... especially in quick motion. Neighbors have actually commented on how "real & solid" they look. The difference between the jittery juddering of 60hz and the super smooth 120hz has made a world of difference. You can even see the difference when moving the mouse pointer across the screen.

So to go back to "little hitches" and "jittery backgrounds" is just going to be a non starter for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: