Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
No problem to agree to disagree, you being wrong that is (Just Kidding).

I've often heard that opinion, that is.. 3 or 4 years from now everything will be okay. But gosh csgill75 we are buying and using it now, so 3 or 4 years from now doesn't really work for any discussion about it. And like you I don't want to argue about it either. But I worked most of my life on this type of stuff so it's hard for me to not say the truth about something. I won't berate anyone's opinion that's NOT the thing to do. We all view it differently. I just don't think giving a company 3 or 4 years to fix something that was released today is a good idea. I worked at startups most of my life and we always worked long hours and weekends and hurt our family life but we also got the product out first rate, not needing to be fixed the day it shipped. Give me one last comment so I can understand your thoughts. Out of 100 percent of the RF community what percent of that 'today' can run RF-X in the 60s minimum ( the target for any real 3d gamer). And look at RF-X it's clearly a game, not a simulator. And the look of it seems to target what I'd call kid games. Huge buttons and nothing to do but press them and play. Not a simulator with all the tools you've already said is missing. And it's good you mentioned it. The truth is.

The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease!

So everyone should say their mind because we all know KE is reading the forum and they need the feedback. Don't you know they already knew what would be said when they shipped RF-X. Sure they did, they created RF 7.5 and the community here. It's clearly not what they should have shipped.

But I want to say something before I forget to. I have a number of planes that I think would be great for RF-X and when the developer tools become available I'll port them over to RF-X, and of course Lightning is one of them. But there's a fair amount of them that would work well for RF-X. Can you imagine exploring the 3D fields with Lazy Eight or RIF (Recon In Force) or even Big Red the biplane. And others. SO.. even if I'm hard on the failures of RF-X I'm just saying the truth to make sure the developers know what they need to fix.
well said!!!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:13 PM

I am currently running RF-X right now behind my browser. I found a few things First I have the FPS showing I am averaging 80FPS with my Dual 970 Setup and Skylake CPU, 16gb ram SSD.... I had hitches and stutter for about the first 10 minutes or so but now, for some unknown reason I don't have any Hitches or stutter. Same average FPS. I didn't change anything, or do anything to cause it to work right. When I close and open, I get the stutter back for the first few minutes and then it is gone. Same thing happened earlier on the Older AMD system which is actually averaging about 45-50 FPS. It also isn't stuttering after a few minutes. Possibly the textures are loaded up and doesn't have to fetch them anymore????

I also found in the Camera settings, A FPV HUD which gives me basic info like speed, altitude, remaining fuel/battery and a mode switch possibly for the multirotors.

I had to come post that above first.

I don't mind being wrong. I hope I am wrong, I want RealFlight X to be the Best RC Sim period, end of discussion. Right now it isn't and I think we can all agree about that. This is the company That I have invested the most money in for any piece of software to date since I have every expansion pack, every version since G4 (I was out of the RC Hobby before G4) and 2 licenced copies of Realflight for a second Interlink Elite just so I can have a backup and for side by side multiplayer. I even purchased my New PC with This very piece of software in mind knowing that I would have to eventually upgrade. This decision I made when I found out Realflight 8 wasn't being released last year and after reading they were looking for new programmers with modern gaming engine experience, I put 2 and 2 together.

I want the Developers to comment on these posts and Please be more active in their own forums so they know about the problems the every day person who owns RF-X is dealing with and have it fixed. Don't just read them but let us know you are acknowledging them. I think it can be fixed. I am already seeing better performance (for some unknown reason) but It isn't instant satisfaction, It needs to run a few minutes to get right.

Last edited by csgill75; 10-28-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
I am currently running RF-X right now behind my browser. I found a few things First I have the FPS showing I am averaging 80FPS with my Dual 970 Setup and Skylake CPU, 16gb ram SSD.... I had hitches and stutter for about the first 10 minutes or so but now, for some unknown reason I don't have any Hitches or stutter. Same average FPS. I didn't change anything, or do anything to cause it to work right. When I close and open, I get the stutter back for the first few minutes and then it is gone. Same thing happened earlier on the Older AMD system which is actually averaging about 45-50 FPS. It also isn't stuttering after a few minutes. Possibly the textures are loaded up and doesn't have to fetch them anymore????

I also found in the Camera settings, A FPV HUD which gives me basic info like speed, altitude, remaining fuel/battery and a mode switch possibly for the multirotors.

I don't mind being wrong. I hope I am wrong, I want RealFlight X to be the Best RC Sim period, end of discussion. Right now it isn't and I think we can all agree about that. This is the company That I have invested the most money in for any piece of software to date since I have every expansion pack, every version since G4 (I was out of the RC Hobby before G4) and 2 licenced copies of Realflight for a second Interlink Elite just so I can have a backup and for side by side multiplayer. I even purchased my New PC with This very piece of software in mind knowing that I would have to eventually upgrade. This decision I made when I found out Realflight 8 wasn't being released last year and after reading they were looking for new programmers with modern gaming engine experience, I put 2 and 2 together.

I want the Developers to comment on these posts and Please be more active in their own forums so they know about the problems the every day person who owns RF-X is dealing with and have it fixed. Don't just read them but let us know you are acknowledging them. I think it can be fixed. I am already seeing better performance (for some unknown reason) but It isn't instant satisfaction, It needs to run a few minutes to get right.
Great post I love it. And my comment about being wrong was just a funny jab, nothing real. And yeah the developers should be active here, that shows they care about what's going on with their release. Man I've been beat on so many times for the software I created I can't count them, that's part of the job if you're a developer. But being honest they may not want to discuss the failures of RF-X, the problems many people have said now. What is missing is clearly a decision made at the top level to create a point and shoot game not a top class simulator. And that's terrible considering how good RF 7.5 is. But the problems can be fixed and then if you have the graphics and CPU power it will work fine. And I plan to get a GTX 1070 to fix my problem with it, so soon I'll be good to go. And your comment about the hitching stoping after a while is good news. I guess I need to play with it longer and test that out here. I did play one of the fields, can't remember the name.. but flying around exploring a desert area with decent small mountains was really cool. So I don't think it's all bad, but man what it could and should have been is so much more.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:14 PM

Back when they dropped support for XP with 7.5, people complained about that. They got angry even that they were stuck with RF 7. Those people are why I feel like I do when this subject comes up. We can't support everything forever.

Yeah get into it. Run it for more than just a few minutes. I have a hour into it right now and it is smooth as can be for me. I see the micro stutter when I load a new aircraft for a few seconds and then its gone. I see the most issues with the P-51 but its textures are chrome plated so that could be why. The ground reflects off the aircraft. I don't get 100 FPS all the time but I can live with 60-80. I will tell you this is the first time I have heard the fans on my video cards. The temperature gauge shows them running at 75 degrees Celsius! most of the time the fans don't even run at all. They are EVGA SSC 970's so they are factory overclocked but with coolers that during most computing activities are not even running, 0 RPM fans. They only kick in when it gets to a certain temperature. The heat from the water cooler on the CPU is noticeable too. I had to turn the AC on in this room for the first time in a while It is keeping my 6700k at about 60-80% usage all the time when running and a little more than half my 16gb of RAM is used when running RF-X.

You also might try turning off some of the features like motion blur, bloom and depth of field. I don't like any of those effects in anything so I always turn it off.

I am curious as to the Poly Count on these models. They are similar but not quite the same. They look more refined and bump mapping is clearly evident. The Colorschemes are different and you can look at them in the Data files in the RF-X folder.

I am disappointed in the sounds. They seem like carryovers from 7.5 with the slight exception when I fly the b25 across the camera view I can hear a little different sound, like a prop breaking the sound barrier but briefly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-10-28.jpg (240.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by csgill75; 10-28-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Back when they dropped support for XP with 7.5, people complained about that. They got angry even that they were stuck with RF 7. Those people are why I feel like I do when this subject comes up. We can't support everything forever.

Yeah get into it. Run it for more than just a few minutes. I have a hour into it right now and it is smooth as can be for me. I see the micro stutter when I load a new aircraft for a few seconds and then its gone. I see the most issues with the P-51 but its textures are chrome plated so that could be why. The ground reflects off the aircraft. I don't get 100 FPS all the time but I can live with 60-80. I will tell you this is the first time I have heard the fans on my video cards. The temperature gauge shows them running at 75 degrees Celsius! most of the time the fans don't even run at all. They are EVGA SSC 970's so they are factory overclocked but with coolers that during most computing activities are not even running, 0 RPM fans. They only kick in when it gets to a certain temperature. The heat from the water cooler on the CPU is noticeable too. I had to turn the AC on in this room for the first time in a while It is keeping my 6700k at about 60-80% usage all the time when running and a little more than half my 16gb of RAM is used when running RF-X.

You also might try turning off some of the features like motion blur, bloom and depth of field. I don't like any of those effects in anything so I always turn it off.

I am curious as to the Poly Count on these models. They are similar but not quite the same. They look more refined and bump mapping is clearly evident. The Colorschemes are different and you can look at them in the Data files in the RF-X folder.

I am disappointed in the sounds. They seem like carryovers from 7.5 with the slight exception when I fly the b25 across the camera view I can hear a little different sound, like a prop breaking the sound barrier but briefly...
Yeah I turned that stuff off already I don't like it either and it's a huge graphics hog anyway. I haven't checked my CPU usage yet I think my CPU is okay I just need more graphics horsepower. I know my CPU isn't the fastest these days (i7 4770S) so I know a faster CPU would help but the graphics is the real bottle neck I think. I think you're right for the most part the resources are carry overs from 7.5. I think they ported what they needed for them to work in RF-X but mostly they're the same. I guess you're right about the colors, to be honest after I started modeling for RF I quit flying the built-in planes so I wouldn't notice a color scheme change. I did notice the engine on the Big Stick is different in RF-X, which is nice the one in 7.5 is really bad looking. And boy you would have thought they'd have someone redo the sounds in two years, that couldn't cost that much. I bet RC clubs would jump at the chance to setup recording sessions for them with different engines. Oh well, it is what it is. Hopefully they'll fix the stutter problem soon I'd like to see that gone. And if they release the tools I'll move some planes to RF-X and I'll have the GTX 1070 installed too.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:

you know you are correct in letting the sim run for awhile. I noticed that is did run smoother in about 15 minutes of letting it run. also, I don't know how, but my fps got higher as well. this is with the settings on high, with the things you mentioned to turn off like bloom, and blur of motion. i was flying in the 60, but when I wreck or something it shoots down to 30 and I see that glitchiness pretty bad then. im telling you if they could incorporate that vsync it would help. you are also correct in the drain on the graphics card. In real flight 7.5 I was using 58 percent of the graphics card on the flight school field. now its at 100 percent the whole time its running. crazzzzy!! my cpu doesn't seem like its even using that much. around 40 percent and 4 cores. this cant be good on the graphics card anyway. I wonder how much faster the card will go out now?? anyone who does run this sim I recommend in installing some hardware monitoring system just to make sure your goods are staying cool enough for longevity. try and let it run for 10 or 15 minutes to see if this helps.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:25 AM

Re-doing the heli sounds has been one of the most requested things since g6 came out. Still haven't got my copy but will post results as soon as I can.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:03 AM

I wanted it mostly for helis and they seem to have taken a back seat to planes and drones of course. I can't believe they even included FB(flybar) ones. It's like they made very little effort for us helicopter people. I guess it reflects what we see in the stores though. The physics on the helis is still poor compared to other sims as well. It doesn't match real life as close as it should. Like technoid said they have made it for gamers with eyewash candy not for us real hobbyists.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 10-29-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
Re-doing the heli sounds has been one of the most requested things since g6 came out. Still haven't got my copy but will post results as soon as I can.
You will probably be disappointed. They sound the same to me. I don't fly Helis in the sim as much as I used to though.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I wanted it mostly for helis and they seem to have taken a back seat to planes and drones of course. I can't believe they even included FB(flybar) ones. It's like they made very little effort for us helicopter people. I guess it reflects what we see in the stores though. The physics on the helis is still poor compared to other sims as well. It doesn't match real life as close as it should. Like technoid said they have made it for gamers with eyewash candy not for us real hobbyists.
The trex 500 in the sim is probably a 10 year old model by now. It's the old Flybar 500. I do like that they have Flybar in the sim though, I still have a Flybar 450 with a quark Gyro that is a blast to fly and has a feel that Flybarless does not give me.

I think that the physics rate is probably a little off, and would perform better on a higher end pc. I don't see a physics fps available, perhaps it's in the console?, but it should be pretty high for realism. I noticed helicopters were sluggish when I first start flying but feel better a few minutes later. Of course not having a editor to fine tune to the way I want it doesn't help me much.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:47 AM

I love my flybar helis too. I own 12 total models (2 flybar). I thought we would see some of the more modern and popular ones in it though but got ones just ported over.
I guess I will have to keep begging Johnny for his Oxy 3 model. I finally bought an Oxy 3 last week off Jason from Amain hobbies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161024_001.jpg (514.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by BrokeDad; 10-29-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Quote:
I think that the physics rate is probably a little off, and would perform better on a higher end pc. I don't see a physics fps available, perhaps it's in the console?
Is this what you're looking for? http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...4&postcount=38
Old 10-29-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
That is video fps. Realflight also has a physics fps which should be higher than the video fps.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I still have a Flybar 450 with a quark Gyro that is a blast to fly and has a feel that Flybarless does not give me.
+1 Absolutely correct. Especially about the Quark... best tail gyro ever.

Quote:
I think that the physics rate is probably a little off, and would perform better on a higher end pc. I noticed helicopters were sluggish when I first start flying but feel better a few minutes later.
This is where we might disagree. I mentioned before that I wouldn't dare to fly Phoenix for an hour and then go fly for real. That's because it starts to feel better after a while. NOT GOOD. They physics in Phoenix might perfectly replicate heli flying (on Mars) but bear little similarity to Earth helis. So getting used to Phoenix is to ingrain bad habits into your reflexes.
If RF-X doesn't replicate the feel of flying a real bird, I will make sure I don't get used to it.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I still have a Flybar 450 with a quark Gyro that is a blast to fly and has a feel that Flybarless does not give me.
I have this one besides the FB Hirobo Shuttle plus nitro. It's still a fun flyer. I don't have that great Quark gyro but I does have the Futaba GY401.

Maybe for Xmas I will treat myself to a new gaming computer or video card and take another look at RF-X.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161026_001[1].jpg (512.9 KB, 12 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: