Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-06-2016, 03:32 PM
BrokeDad's Avatar
BrokeDad BrokeDad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 917
So far I've spent $85 on the software. I did get a refund from Tower on the outrageous $27 shipping which was nice. By the time I get a PC this season all of you will have worked out what works best.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2016, 04:14 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
It's probably the resolution you are running. Do not expect to run at your Desktop resolution with a 1070 and any AMD Processor. Try running at a 1920x1080 resolution which is what I am running with twin 970's. You should be able to get 70fps. If not, you may have a CPU bottleneck because the Video card is able to do it on another system.
Thanks for that info I was just thinking about asking what resolution you run RF-X at. But what is your desktop resolution? I forget. Okay.. Good News for me. I just got permission for a system upgrade from the wife so now I'm serious about upgrading. So I'm wondering how SLI 970s compare to a single 1070? You probably know. I'm going to Google it too. But I've started to think maybe an i7 6700 32 Gig GTX 1080. It's hard to spend 200 bucks more for the 1080 but I want to make sure I can run all the eye candy. But I'm at 1920x1200 so maybe a 1070 can do that, but I want to be sure.. don't want to wish later I had got the 1080. And who knows a monitor upgrade could happen later to a 1440. So I want to cover the bases.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-06-2016, 04:25 PM
12oclockhigh 12oclockhigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,709
I see that Apple is offering a 5K resolution monitor. I don't even have 4k yet and already that is obsolete. Man I was looking for movies and saw that the 4K movies are running $30 apiece. That is a bit rich for my blood. Maybe 1080 blue ray is ok for now.

I want all new stuff, but plan to wait until after superbowl.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-06-2016, 07:34 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks for that info I was just thinking about asking what resolution you run RF-X at. But what is your desktop resolution? I forget. Okay.. Good News for me. I just got permission for a system upgrade from the wife so now I'm serious about upgrading. So I'm wondering how SLI 970s compare to a single 1070? You probably know. I'm going to Google it too. But I've started to think maybe an i7 6700 32 Gig GTX 1080. It's hard to spend 200 bucks more for the 1080 but I want to make sure I can run all the eye candy. But I'm at 1920x1200 so maybe a 1070 can do that, but I want to be sure.. don't want to wish later I had got the 1080. And who knows a monitor upgrade could happen later to a 1440. So I want to cover the bases.
If you can, get the 1080. I got 2 970's only because at the time it was the same performance as a 980ti, the top card at the time, for about half the money. This will be the last time I probably do 2 video cards. Some applications I have just aren't optimized for SLI so they don't work as well as a single card system. If you have seen my Screenshots, that is what it looks like to me when I fly. It looks good. I also want more power, and I am waiting for the 1080ti to be released next year. That should allow me to run at higher resolution with the same high video quality. Also it's more power efficient. Nvidia no longer supports triple sli on the 1000 cards. It's something that I think is going away in future generations because a single card can do what 2 could do in the past.

A 6700k with a 1080 should work nicely and is probably the same machine that they made the RF-X video trailers with. It's what the review articles use too for their review of RF-X.

Ill sit and wait for the 1080ti. By the time it comes, RF-X may be better optimized for higher Frames at 1440p

Last edited by csgill75; 11-06-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:32 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
If you can, get the 1080. I got 2 970's only because at the time it was the same performance as a 980ti, the top card at the time, for about half the money. This will be the last time I probably do 2 video cards. Some applications I have just aren't optimized for SLI so they don't work as well as a single card system. If you have seen my Screenshots, that is what it looks like to me when I fly. It looks good. I also want more power, and I am waiting for the 1080ti to be released next year. That should allow me to run at higher resolution with the same high video quality. Also it's more power efficient. Nvidia no longer supports triple sli on the 1000 cards. It's something that I think is going away in future generations because a single card can do what 2 could do in the past.

A 6700k with a 1080 should work nicely and is probably the same machine that they made the RF-X video trailers with. It's what the review articles use too for their review of RF-X.

Ill sit and wait for the 1080ti. By the time it comes, RF-X may be better optimized for higher Frames at 1440p
Yeah I'm looking hard in that direction but we'll see how far the budget stretches.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-07-2016, 11:26 AM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,464
Does anyone use one of those M.2 NVME SSDs? If so what model and how do you like it?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-07-2016, 11:52 AM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Does anyone use one of those M.2 NVME SSDs? If so what model and how do you like it?

http://www.custompcguide.net/the-dif...vs-850-series/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Kaos's Avatar
Kaos Kaos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Luis Obispo
Posts: 161
I've spent $677.00 upgrading my Dell XPS 9100, not counting my new monitor. I maxed out the DDR3 RAM to 24GB; up from the stock 9GB. Next, I replaced the GTX 770 video card with the RF-X recommended GTX 1060 (big mistake, I think). Also, I replaced the original i7-930 2.8 GHz 4-core processor with an i7-980x 3.33 GHz (now overclocked to 4.133 GHz) 6-core processor.

After all that, I might have gained 10 to 15 FPS.

I'm running my desktop resolution at 3840 x 2160 and RF-X at 1920 x 1080. In that mode, I'm currently seeing an average frame-rate of around 50 FPS, according to FRAPS. I have Texture Quality and Shader Quality set to High (very oddly, my FPS really tank when these are set to Low. Go figure).

I've been very tempted to bite-the-bullet and get the much better GTX 1080 video card, but after thinking about it, I'm not convinced it will help my particular computer. Reason: I believe my mobo bus speed is now the bottle-neck. Can't get blood out of a turnip.

I see an Alienware Aurora i7-6700 or Asus i7-6700 in my future; either with the GTX 1080 video card. Heh!
__________________
Happily retired!

Last edited by Kaos; 11-07-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-07-2016, 12:57 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
I've spent $677.00 upgrading my Dell XPS 9100, not counting my new monitor. I maxed out the DDR3 RAM to 24GB; up from the stock 9GB. Next, I replaced the GTX 770 video card with the RF-X recommended GTX 1060 (big mistake, I think). Also, I replaced the original i7-930 2.8 GHz 4-core processor with an i7-980x 3.33 GHz (now overclocked to 4.133 GHz) 6-core processor.

After all that, I might have gained 10 to 15 FPS.

I'm running my desktop resolution at 3840 x 2160 and RF-X at 1920 x 1080. In that mode, I'm currently seeing an average frame-rate of around 50 FPS, according to FRAPS. I have Texture Quality and Shader Quality set to High (very oddly, my FPS really tank when these are set to Low. Go figure).

I've been very tempted to bite-the-bullet and get the much better GTX 1080 video card, but after thinking about it, I'm not convinced it will help my particular computer. Reason: I believe my mobo bus speed is now the bottle-neck. Can't get blood out of a turnip.

I see an Alienware Aurora i7-6700 or Asus i7-6700 in my future; either with the GTX 1080 video card. Heh!

You can't go wrong with a skylake CPU. There are faster out there but I'm not spending 1,600 bucks on a CPU....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Kaos's Avatar
Kaos Kaos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Luis Obispo
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
You can't go wrong with a skylake CPU. There are faster out there but I'm not spending 1,600 bucks on a CPU....
You can buy a new i7-6700 Skylake CPU for about $305.00. Unfortunately, it won't fit in my mobo LGA 1366 socket. Heh!

Anyway, for ~$1600.00, you get a lot more than just the CPU...
__________________
Happily retired!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:59 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Thanks a good read. I already have a Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD but man the M.2 950 version is fast. But... there's always a but. I've been doing a lot of reading and have come up with a pretty good option I think. I already have an ASUS Z87 motherboard with 32 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM. So to get a higher CPU frame rate I can drop the i7 4790K 4 Ghz in my existing motherboard. Then with the savings I can pop for the GTX 1080 to make sure I have plenty of graphics power. This will save LOTS of money and give me a system nearly equal to the i7 6700K. Here's the breakdown.

i7 6700K $340.00
ASUS Z170K Motherboard $135.00
KINGSTON 32 GIG DDR 4 $200.00
EVGA GTX 1080 $ 620.00
Arctic Freezer i32 $36.00

TOTAL $1331.00

OR

i7 4790K $290.00
EVGA GTX 1080 $ 620.00
Arctic Freezer i32 $36.00

TOTAL $946.00

So I save $385.00 and get almost the same performance. The article I read on the 4790K vs 6700K was pretty good. Yeah there's some difference but pretty small compared to the price to upgrade difference. And we all know the 1080 is a great option.

As much as I'd like to get the 6700K, New Motherboard, and DDR4 memory it seems using the 4790K might be the best option since I really want the GTX 1080. And even with the savings I'm at a grand to upgrade. So we'll see what happens the more I think about it. To make it worse if I get the 6700K system I'll want the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and that's another $315.00. So I'm really talking about a $700.00 savings.

Here's a link to the article I read comparing the 4790K and the 6700K.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-i7-6700K-641/

Last edited by technoid; 11-07-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Kaos's Avatar
Kaos Kaos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Luis Obispo
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks a good read. I already have a Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD but man the M.2 950 version is fast. But... there's always a but. I've been doing a lot of reading and have come up with a pretty good option I think. I already have an ASUS Z87 motherboard with 32 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM. So to get a higher CPU frame rate I can drop the i7 4790K 4 Ghz in my existing motherboard. Then with the savings I can pop for the GTX 1080 to make sure I have plenty of graphics power. This will save LOTS of money and give me a system nearly equal to the i7 6700K. Here's the breakdown.

i7 6700K $340.00
ASUS Z170K Motherboard $135.00
KINGSTON 32 GIG DDR 4 $200.00
EVGA GTX 1080 $ 620.00
Arctic Freezer i32 $36.00

TOTAL $1331.00

OR

i7 4790K $290.00
EVGA GTX 1080 $ 620.00
Arctic Freezer i32 $36.00

TOTAL $946.00

So I save $385.00 and get almost the same performance. The article I read on the 4790K vs 6700K was pretty good. Yeah there's some difference but pretty small compared to the price to upgrade difference. And we all know the 1080 is a great option.

As much as I'd like to get the 6700K, New Motherboard, and DDR4 memory it seems using the 4790K might be the best option since I really want the GTX 1080. And even with the savings I'm at a grand to upgrade. So we'll see what happens the more I think about it. To make it worse if I get the 6700K system I'll want the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and that's another $315.00. So I'm really talking about a $700.00 savings.

Here's a link to the article I read comparing the 4790K and the 6700K.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-i7-6700K-641/
I had to giggle a bit when I read your post. We think a lot a like, weighing the pros and cons and trying to picture what the end results will (literally) look like.

With my current hopped up system, I vowed not to spend any more money on it, mostly because I think the mobo is maxed out (the bus speed) and a GTX 1080 probably wouldn't help much.

On the other hand (uh oh, here we go again!), I could "risk" buying the GTX 1080 and if disappointed, I could buy a lower end Asus i7-6700 or lower end Alienware Aurora i7-6700 and replace the supplied wimpy video card with my new GTX 1080.

But, I'm not going to do it - I'm just revealing some of my pea-brain thought patterns. And besides, I have a for-real SebArt Mini Avanti EDF jet on back-order and it is scheduled to arrive late this month. After all, I think real RC flying is the best!
__________________
Happily retired!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 PM
kcsr kcsr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: KC
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Does anyone use one of those M.2 NVME SSDs? If so what model and how do you like it?
I'm using a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD and love it. Smokes the previous SSD setup I had ... quad Sandforce 2281 SSDs in Raid 0 on an IBM 5015 (aka LSI 9260-8i) raid card.

FYI, if you're waiting for the new Samsung 960 Pro cards (~40% performance increase over 950 series) to hit the shelves, you might be waiting until Jan 2017, or later. They were originally supposed to ship in Oct 2016, but the Samsung Note 7 recall fiasco has resulted in production delays.

A great M.2 NVMe option right now is the Intel 600p series that is on sale at Microcenter for 50% off. I bought one last weekend for another X99 build.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...1&myStore=true
__________________
RF-X w/ ILX ; RF 7.5 w/ ILE
i7-6950X w/ 40% overclock; MSI X99 Gaming Godlike Carbon; 128GB Corsair LED DDR4-3200;
Samsung 960 Pro NVMe; Corsair H115i; Corsair 900D; EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2; Titan X Pascal

i7-5820K w/ 37% overclock; MSI X99 XPower Gaming Titanium; 64GB Corsair DDR4-3333;
Intel 600p NVMe; Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240; Corsair Carbide 540; Corsair AX1200; Titan X Maxwell 12GB

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-07-2016, 09:46 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsr View Post
I'm using a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD and love it. Smokes the previous SSD setup I had ... quad Sandforce 2281 SSDs in Raid 0 on an IBM 5015 (aka LSI 9260-8i) raid card.

FYI, if you're waiting for the new Samsung 960 Pro cards (~40% performance increase over 950 series) to hit the shelves, you might be waiting until Jan 2017, or later. They were originally supposed to ship in Oct 2016, but the Samsung Note 7 recall fiasco has resulted in production delays.

A great M.2 NVMe option right now is the Intel 600p series that is on sale at Microcenter for 50% off. I bought one last weekend for another X99 build.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...1&myStore=true
Thanks for the info and yeah the M.2 would definitely be cool. I like speed!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
I had to giggle a bit when I read your post. We think a lot a like, weighing the pros and cons and trying to picture what the end results will (literally) look like.

With my current hopped up system, I vowed not to spend any more money on it, mostly because I think the mobo is maxed out (the bus speed) and a GTX 1080 probably wouldn't help much.

On the other hand (uh oh, here we go again!), I could "risk" buying the GTX 1080 and if disappointed, I could buy a lower end Asus i7-6700 or lower end Alienware Aurora i7-6700 and replace the supplied wimpy video card with my new GTX 1080.

But, I'm not going to do it - I'm just revealing some of my pea-brain thought patterns. And besides, I have a for-real SebArt Mini Avanti EDF jet on back-order and it is scheduled to arrive late this month. After all, I think real RC flying is the best!
You should do the FRAPS CPU benchmark that I talk about in both of my benchmark posts and then you'd know what your CPU can do. If you need help with it, just ask!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 AM.