Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Well I had a lightning strike on my Directv dish 2 weeks ago and several pieces of electronics were affected including my computer. Needless to say my insurance company as well as the protection plan I have with directv are replacing a couple of TV's my surround sound system, blue ray players, modem and router, and my computer. Apparently a surge went through the network cable and killed the motherboard. It does not post anymore.

I now have a very similar system with the 7700k, 16gb ram and the ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming motherboard and a Asus STRIX 1080ti. My spinning drives still work fine but I upgraded the SSD to one of the Samsung 960 pro 512gb M.2 drives. Basically just a new version of the system that went bad. The new board has wireless AC networking built in so I might just isolate the PC from the modem so that this can't happen again. WiFi is fast enough for everything I do anyway.

I couldn't get the MSI 1080ti Gaming card in my old computer to work in my older AMD system so I guess it died too. I may try to rma it for replacement if my insurance provider doesn't want the old equipment. They have already covered the replacement costs but have not yet requested the bad equipment yet.
Bummer sorry to hear that but it sounds like your coming through it pretty well. What's your take on the ASUS 1080ti compared to the MSI?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Bummer sorry to hear that but it sounds like your coming through it pretty well. What's your take on the ASUS 1080ti compared to the MSI?
Not much really different between the two cards that i can notice I just put everything together over the weekend so I don't have a lot of time with it . I am not using my TV in the office since I have moved it to the bedroom to fill in until I get a replacement so I have a 1440P monitor right now as the only display. The only reason I went with this particular card is it has a lighting system built in to the card that syncs with the motherboard and memory. Overall the whole system is just a little bit faster, but that could be due to the use of a M.2 SSD instead of the SATA SSD.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Well I had a lightning strike on my Directv dish 2 weeks ago and several pieces of electronics were affected including my computer. Needless to say my insurance company as well as the protection plan I have with directv are replacing a couple of TV's my surround sound system, blue ray players, modem and router, and my computer. Apparently a surge went through the network cable and killed the motherboard. It does not post anymore.

I now have a very similar system with the 7700k, 16gb ram and the ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming motherboard and a Asus STRIX 1080ti. My spinning drives still work fine but I upgraded the SSD to one of the Samsung 960 pro 512gb M.2 drives. Basically just a new version of the system that went bad. The new board has wireless AC networking built in so I might just isolate the PC from the modem so that this can't happen again. WiFi is fast enough for everything I do anyway.

I couldn't get the MSI 1080ti Gaming card in my old computer to work in my older AMD system so I guess it died too. I may try to rma it for replacement if my insurance provider doesn't want the old equipment. They have already covered the replacement costs but have not yet requested the bad equipment yet.
Sounds like you ended up with a very nice computer system. I'm looking forward to your impressions on how it runs RF-X.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: