Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RF-X - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 PM

Well, I'm diving in.

I am going through the Box Trainer to create models in Realflight. I did this a couple years ago but I have forgotten much of what I learned. I am also not bothering with 7.5 and will only be creating for RF-X mainly because I don't have the older version of Max and I like not having a small Poly Limit. I'll still try to keep them to a minimum but right now, I am making a Box Trainer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-12-12.jpg (150.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:06 PM

Welcome to the club! Feel free to ask about anything that you have trouble with.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:51 PM

Very cool I'm looking forward to following your build threads. And the models
Old 12-12-2016, 11:15 PM

Thanks. I can already see a few things are different in the 2017 version vs the 2012 version in the video. I don't think it's going to be a problem though I can still make shapes. Menu items look different though.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Very cool I'm looking forward to following your build threads. And the models
Ditto!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:33 PM

Thanks guys. I have the next 3 weeks off from work so plenty of time to get the box trainer into the sim. I remember how to make the shapes and manipulate the model in max. I need to learn everything else though.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:18 AM

Once you get familiar with the basics, I'd highly recommend following along with this series that Scott did. This way you get to see what a lot of the tools are capable of.

https://youtu.be/IX5aHbVxmAA
Old 12-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Once you get familiar with the basics, I'd highly recommend following along with this series that Scott did. This way you get to see what a lot of the tools are capable of.

https://youtu.be/IX5aHbVxmAA
Yeah there's some great information on Photoshop in the first one I've just been watching it, lots of shortcuts I didn't know about. Ha.. I'm one of those guys that learns a few things and just keeps using them when there lots more stuff to make it easier if I take the time to learn it. So yeah I'm sure watching his whole ride along series would be well worth it. I'm just finishing up the first one and will probably watch the others too so I can sharpen up my skills even more. Scott has sure done a lot for the RealFlight community.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yeah there's some great information on Photoshop in the first one I've just been watching it, lots of shortcuts I didn't know about. Ha.. I'm one of those guys that learns a few things and just keeps using them when there lots more stuff to make it easier if I take the time to learn it. So yeah I'm sure watching his whole ride along series would be well worth it. I'm just finishing up the first one and will probably watch the others too so I can sharpen up my skills even more. Scott has sure done a lot for the RealFlight community.
sounds good csgill75 that your learning how to model , haha that sounds like me technoid i do see gimp has layers that i should learn more about
Old 12-17-2016, 04:36 PM

I briefly looked at those videos about photoshop which will be the software that I will use. I have a Creative Cloud subscription for the Lightroom software which I use for my quadcopter photos and part of the subscription is Photoshop CC.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:45 PM

I think that the changes from 1012 to 2017 are mainly just icon changes. I haven't ran into any real changes that would prevent you following my videos.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:46 PM

First Progress Shot

Well I spent about 45 minutes in Max today, Got most of the aircraft laid out. This is still my Box Trainer I am just making it a little different shaped. I still have to work on the tail sections and get a better shape to them. I tried a couple standard shapes, and I didn't like them. I think i will go for something forward swept like what you would see on a Mooney Bravo or something like that. I still need to build the landing gear. hopefully I will get that finished later tonight or tomorrow. All parts are named According to the training video.

I had to install a second Monitor on my computer so that I can have the video playing on one side and Max on my main screen. That made it a lot easier than trying to maneuver 2 windows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max Progress.JPG (51.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Well I spent about 45 minutes in Max today, Got most of the aircraft laid out. This is still my Box Trainer I am just making it a little different shaped. I still have to work on the tail sections and get a better shape to them. I tried a couple standard shapes, and I didn't like them. I think i will go for something forward swept like what you would see on a Mooney Bravo or something like that. I still need to build the landing gear. hopefully I will get that finished later tonight or tomorrow. All parts are named According to the training video.

I had to install a second Monitor on my computer so that I can have the video playing on one side and Max on my main screen. That made it a lot easier than trying to maneuver 2 windows.
Boy I sure remember going through that video I had a great time with it and at the end I released my first plane, Boxie Flyer. Then nine days later I released Boxie Flier to fix some problems it had. So my first two planes were from that video.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:38 PM

What kind of models interest you csgill?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post

You'll never go back to a single monitor now. Ha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: