Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RF-X - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
What kind of models interest you csgill?
The models That I ultimately want to tackle would be the early X planes from the USAF/NACA/NASA. They were simple but important. I am intrigued on how they would fly in realflight given some of their unique shapes.

Right now My modeling looks more akin to something built out of LEGO but Its all about learning how to use Max for me right now. I already started over on the box trainer. I didn't like the proportions of what I was doing. I did get a Fuselage, Wings, and tail put together much faster than the first try so it is getting easier. Now I am learning how to shape things to make it look better instead of just squared off edges and I am rounding off leading edges and tapering off the trailing edges to their respective control surfaces. I have paused the video for now and just getting into making the shapes I want. I will pick up the video tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 PM

My second attempt at the Box Trainer. I like this one better. I know I should probably be just getting a file into realflight but why not make it look a little better than a lego plane? It is still a very crude model.

One of the things I would like to figure out is, rather than do like I did with the Ailerons, I would like to try to cut out the elevator and rudder from what I have existing. I like the look of the forward sweep to the tail. I imagine there is a tutorial on how to do that, I just haven't come across it yet.

This gets addictive, this modeling thing. I keep going over this model in my head about how I want to finish it I know where I want to ultimately be with modeling, I just need to go through the progression of getting there. I'll probably take the route Technoid did and just create scratch built models from my head to start with, eventually get into the scale stuff. I feel that route will get me familiar with the tools in Max and more comfortable using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Box Trainer.JPG (47.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by csgill75; 12-18-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:22 PM

I show how taht is done in this video around the 7 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUi...92c-ID-ZyGqiuE
Old 12-18-2016, 11:26 PM

Remeber this old thread? "Tip of the day" On page 2 there is a tip for creating sealed hinges. http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...t=28743&page=2
Old 12-18-2016, 11:52 PM

I bookmarked both of those links. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
My second attempt at the Box Trainer. I like this one better. I know I should probably be just getting a file into realflight but why not make it look a little better than a lego plane? It is still a very crude model.

One of the things I would like to figure out is, rather than do like I did with the Ailerons, I would like to try to cut out the elevator and rudder from what I have existing. I like the look of the forward sweep to the tail. I imagine there is a tutorial on how to do that, I just haven't come across it yet.

This gets addictive, this modeling thing. I keep going over this model in my head about how I want to finish it I know where I want to ultimately be with modeling, I just need to go through the progression of getting there. I'll probably take the route Technoid did and just create scratch built models from my head to start with, eventually get into the scale stuff. I feel that route will get me familiar with the tools in Max and more comfortable using it.
Very nice, much better. That's what I did pause the video and play on my own.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

You're doing great csgill75.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
You're doing great csgill75.
Thanks, I still haven't given up on this. I have a "honey do" list that takes precedence though.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:46 PM

RF X P-51 Charateristics

So, I just got RF X and the flight characteristics of the P-51 are all wrong. The CG does not seem right and it is way to pitch sensitive. How can I correct this? I downloaded the RealFlight vehicle editor.

Tx
Dan
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Hi 108buzz. Please move this post to a new thread in this same forum. This thread is a build thread and is not the best place to get answers to your question.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:

This outline to me looks like the general outline of a Mooney M18/20/22. Maybe once you finish the Box Trainer make more and more advanced aircraft until you can make a 6 channel aircraft.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 PM

I`m not going to speak for Csgill...Bachem, But hopefully that`s his goal. Modeling isn`t easy, And it`s very time consuming for a new modeler. He`ll get there in due time, if life dictates. It took me a year to make my first plane / EA for RF,.... OH, and it was only a four channel..
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM

It is still the Box Trainer, I have done the Gear and cut out the Tail sections. I have created this model about 5 more times to get it where I want it. I will get a progress post in a bit. Right now my wife is sick and will need surgery to correct a previous surgery she had 8 years ago on her stomach. She is getting my attention but when I get a free minute, I will post in here some progress, yes there is progress albeit slow progress.

It is a 4 channel aircraft, although the number of channels has no bearing on this aircraft, I could easily add flaps by cutting the alieron, but that is not what this model is about. It is about getting something into the simulator in which I am almost done with the modeling part .

Last edited by csgill75; 01-09-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
It is still the Box Trainer, I have done the Gear and cut out the Tail sections. I have created this model about 5 more times to get it where I want it. I will get a progress post in a bit. Right now my wife is sick and will need surgery to correct a previous surgery she had 8 years ago on her stomach. She is getting my attention but when I get a free minute, I will post in here some progress, yes there is progress albeit slow progress.

It is a 4 channel aircraft, although the number of channels has no bearing on this aircraft, I could easily add flaps by cutting the alieron, but that is not what this model is about. It is about getting something into the simulator in which I am almost done with the modeling part .
I'm really sorry to hear about your wife take care of her first the rest can wait. That's exactly what I did going though the box trainer too I went back and did stuff over and over to develop some skills, so to me you're doing the right thing. Hey your next plane can be the Bell X1.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about your wife take care of her first the rest can wait. That's exactly what I did going though the box trainer too I went back and did stuff over and over to develop some skills, so to me you're doing the right thing. Hey your next plane can be the Bell X1.
Well it probably won't be the X1, I feel like I need to build up the skills first before I accomplish the builds I want. I like the route you took so I planned on something similar.

I can put a plane together in max pretty quickly now, about 20 minutes and it's a box trainer from scratch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: