Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RF-X - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
What kind of models interest you csgill?
The models That I ultimately want to tackle would be the early X planes from the USAF/NACA/NASA. They were simple but important. I am intrigued on how they would fly in realflight given some of their unique shapes.

Right now My modeling looks more akin to something built out of LEGO but Its all about learning how to use Max for me right now. I already started over on the box trainer. I didn't like the proportions of what I was doing. I did get a Fuselage, Wings, and tail put together much faster than the first try so it is getting easier. Now I am learning how to shape things to make it look better instead of just squared off edges and I am rounding off leading edges and tapering off the trailing edges to their respective control surfaces. I have paused the video for now and just getting into making the shapes I want. I will pick up the video tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,114
My second attempt at the Box Trainer. I like this one better. I know I should probably be just getting a file into realflight but why not make it look a little better than a lego plane? It is still a very crude model.

One of the things I would like to figure out is, rather than do like I did with the Ailerons, I would like to try to cut out the elevator and rudder from what I have existing. I like the look of the forward sweep to the tail. I imagine there is a tutorial on how to do that, I just haven't come across it yet.

This gets addictive, this modeling thing. I keep going over this model in my head about how I want to finish it I know where I want to ultimately be with modeling, I just need to go through the progression of getting there. I'll probably take the route Technoid did and just create scratch built models from my head to start with, eventually get into the scale stuff. I feel that route will get me familiar with the tools in Max and more comfortable using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Box Trainer.JPG (47.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by csgill75; 12-18-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-18-2016, 11:22 PM
Boof69's Avatar
Boof69 Boof69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Swartz Creek,Michigan
Posts: 5,347
I show how taht is done in this video around the 7 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUi...92c-ID-ZyGqiuE
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Boof69's Avatar
Boof69 Boof69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Swartz Creek,Michigan
Posts: 5,347
Remeber this old thread? "Tip of the day" On page 2 there is a tip for creating sealed hinges. http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...t=28743&page=2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-18-2016, 11:52 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,114
I bookmarked both of those links. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 AM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
My second attempt at the Box Trainer. I like this one better. I know I should probably be just getting a file into realflight but why not make it look a little better than a lego plane? It is still a very crude model.

One of the things I would like to figure out is, rather than do like I did with the Ailerons, I would like to try to cut out the elevator and rudder from what I have existing. I like the look of the forward sweep to the tail. I imagine there is a tutorial on how to do that, I just haven't come across it yet.

This gets addictive, this modeling thing. I keep going over this model in my head about how I want to finish it I know where I want to ultimately be with modeling, I just need to go through the progression of getting there. I'll probably take the route Technoid did and just create scratch built models from my head to start with, eventually get into the scale stuff. I feel that route will get me familiar with the tools in Max and more comfortable using it.
Very nice, much better. That's what I did pause the video and play on my own.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Fly_electric's Avatar
Fly_electric Fly_electric is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: N-Space side of all Charged Vacuum Emboitments
Posts: 1,243
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
My second attempt at the Box Trainer. I like this one better. I know I should probably be just getting a file into realflight but why not make it look a little better than a lego plane? It is still a very crude model.

One of the things I would like to figure out is, rather than do like I did with the Ailerons, I would like to try to cut out the elevator and rudder from what I have existing. I like the look of the forward sweep to the tail. I imagine there is a tutorial on how to do that, I just haven't come across it yet.

This gets addictive, this modeling thing. I keep going over this model in my head about how I want to finish it I know where I want to ultimately be with modeling, I just need to go through the progression of getting there. I'll probably take the route Technoid did and just create scratch built models from my head to start with, eventually get into the scale stuff. I feel that route will get me familiar with the tools in Max and more comfortable using it.

You're doing great csgill75.
__________________
Rebuilding crashed planes one reset button push at a time..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:35 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
You're doing great csgill75.
Thanks, I still haven't given up on this. I have a "honey do" list that takes precedence though.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-07-2017, 07:46 PM
108buzz 108buzz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
RF X P-51 Charateristics

So, I just got RF X and the flight characteristics of the P-51 are all wrong. The CG does not seem right and it is way to pitch sensitive. How can I correct this? I downloaded the RealFlight vehicle editor.

Tx
Dan
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Boof69's Avatar
Boof69 Boof69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Swartz Creek,Michigan
Posts: 5,347
Hi 108buzz. Please move this post to a new thread in this same forum. This thread is a build thread and is not the best place to get answers to your question.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Bachem Natter Bachem Natter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: In a world that needs more 50% or 100% aircraft.
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
My second attempt at the Box Trainer. I like this one better. I know I should probably be just getting a file into realflight but why not make it look a little better than a lego plane? It is still a very crude model.

One of the things I would like to figure out is, rather than do like I did with the Ailerons, I would like to try to cut out the elevator and rudder from what I have existing. I like the look of the forward sweep to the tail. I imagine there is a tutorial on how to do that, I just haven't come across it yet.

This gets addictive, this modeling thing. I keep going over this model in my head about how I want to finish it I know where I want to ultimately be with modeling, I just need to go through the progression of getting there. I'll probably take the route Technoid did and just create scratch built models from my head to start with, eventually get into the scale stuff. I feel that route will get me familiar with the tools in Max and more comfortable using it.
This outline to me looks like the general outline of a Mooney M18/20/22. Maybe once you finish the Box Trainer make more and more advanced aircraft until you can make a 6 channel aircraft.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,568
I`m not going to speak for Csgill...Bachem, But hopefully that`s his goal. Modeling isn`t easy, And it`s very time consuming for a new modeler. He`ll get there in due time, if life dictates. It took me a year to make my first plane / EA for RF,.... OH, and it was only a four channel..
__________________
I'd like to see a 2 file per day upload limit
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,114
It is still the Box Trainer, I have done the Gear and cut out the Tail sections. I have created this model about 5 more times to get it where I want it. I will get a progress post in a bit. Right now my wife is sick and will need surgery to correct a previous surgery she had 8 years ago on her stomach. She is getting my attention but when I get a free minute, I will post in here some progress, yes there is progress albeit slow progress.

It is a 4 channel aircraft, although the number of channels has no bearing on this aircraft, I could easily add flaps by cutting the alieron, but that is not what this model is about. It is about getting something into the simulator in which I am almost done with the modeling part .

Last edited by csgill75; 01-09-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
It is still the Box Trainer, I have done the Gear and cut out the Tail sections. I have created this model about 5 more times to get it where I want it. I will get a progress post in a bit. Right now my wife is sick and will need surgery to correct a previous surgery she had 8 years ago on her stomach. She is getting my attention but when I get a free minute, I will post in here some progress, yes there is progress albeit slow progress.

It is a 4 channel aircraft, although the number of channels has no bearing on this aircraft, I could easily add flaps by cutting the alieron, but that is not what this model is about. It is about getting something into the simulator in which I am almost done with the modeling part .
I'm really sorry to hear about your wife take care of her first the rest can wait. That's exactly what I did going though the box trainer too I went back and did stuff over and over to develop some skills, so to me you're doing the right thing. Hey your next plane can be the Bell X1.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about your wife take care of her first the rest can wait. That's exactly what I did going though the box trainer too I went back and did stuff over and over to develop some skills, so to me you're doing the right thing. Hey your next plane can be the Bell X1.
Well it probably won't be the X1, I feel like I need to build up the skills first before I accomplish the builds I want. I like the route you took so I planned on something similar.

I can put a plane together in max pretty quickly now, about 20 minutes and it's a box trainer from scratch.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.