Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:14 PM

Okay I wasn't going to share these pictures because THIS AIN'T IT but they are what inspired me to create this project but don't take these picture as what I'll be doing, but when you see what I end up with it will have design cue's from them. At least these shots will give you the flavor of what I want to create. I'm planning something more modern looking but at least you can see why I've been saying a Chris-Craft looking seaplane. Or flying boat as it were. Notice on the last picture, the current Chris-Craft Cabin Cruiser, there's almost a place for a wing already there.

Oh. How about Techair Sea Crusie for a name (yes I know it was a song) (but I can't find a plane with that name)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaplane 01.jpg (291.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Seaplane 02.jpg (364.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Seaplane 03.jpg (109.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by technoid; 05-23-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Add more info.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Okay I wasn't going to share these pictures because THIS AIN'T IT but they are what inspired me to create this project but don't take these picture as what I'll be doing, but when you see what I end up with it will have design cue's from them. At least these shots will give you the flavor of what I want to create. I'm planning something more modern looking but at least you can see why I've been saying a Chris-Craft looking seaplane. Or flying boat as it were. Notice on the last picture, the current Chris-Craft Cabin Cruiser, there's almost a place for a wing already there.

Oh. How about Techair Sea Crusie for a name (yes I know it was a song) (but I can't find a plane with that name)
Are you going to put the your radial on this plane? I can help you get two of them (in higher quality) on the plane without bothering you on the poly limit.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Are you going to put the your radial on this plane? I can help you get two of them (in higher quality) on the plane without bothering you on the poly limit.
When I first saw that picture I thought about going with twin radials but like I said I'm planning something newer looking so I'm thinking flat engines like the Cessna 310. But at some point I'll use your trick (a very cool discovery), so thanks for offering the help. At this point I don't know if they'll ever morph RF-X into what I need for my planes so I'll be staying with RF 7.5 for now. I'd love it if they could get RF-X to run 100 fps at 1920x1200 on my 1070 and improve the rendering engine so I could make the kind of planes I like, that being shiny monokote looking when I want it, and lots of my planes have been that way. And then my see through wings flashed dark areas all the time so they didn't work right. Being honest I could still use your trick on this plane. I have a horizontal 4 cylinder 4 stroke engine modeled I could use and have the cowls open to show them. So hang on we'll see where it goes. Right now I'm having trouble getting started on it I've worked on so many planes I'm taking a little break while I dream up what I want it to look like. And it's coming together nicely so I'm getting there.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
round engines are sweet out in the openand legoman's high def would really top it off imho
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
round engines are sweet out in the openand legoman's high def would really top it off imho
The picture I posted is definitely cool and what inspired me to create this project but I only posted it to show where I was headed in a 'general nature'. I have a view in my head of what I want to do and it will need engines line the Cessna 310 or this TwinBee to look right, a more modern look. The wing will be attached to the boat or very close to it so there won't be room for the large radials. Plus radials are mostly from a different era than what I want this project to belong to. So sorry guys the radial I modeled is really nice but not for this project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twinbee 01.jpg (51.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
The picture I posted is definitely cool and what inspired me to create this project but I only posted it to show where I was headed in a 'general nature'. I have a view in my head of what I want to do and it will need engines line the Cessna 310 or this TwinBee to look right, a more modern look. The wing will be attached to the boat or very close to it so there won't be room for the large radials. Plus radials are mostly from a different era than what I want this project to belong to. So sorry guys the radial I modeled is really nice but not for this project.
We can do HD flat engines too...
Old 05-24-2017, 01:05 PM

I started working on the boat this morning so I'll post a couple of pictures of the 3ds max screen, a render of it doesn't show as much detail as the screen right now. Please don't expect a perfect boat I'll do the best I can but I doubt it will turn out as well as I want it to. (my modeling limits are there) None-the-less here's a start.

It will have a cabin and behind the cabin it will have the floor recessed like a normal cabin cruiser. It will also have the little details on the deck that make it look right. Then I'll figure out how to attach the wings and go from there. Like always I create something and then modify it a time or two to get it right. OR.. as right as I can get it. The wing might end up wider than the place it attaches to the cabin and if it does it will have a cutout so it will be open where the floor behind the cabin is so the people can enjoy the view. To me this is kind of a camper plane. You fly there, spend the night on the boat, and then fly back. It would be a cool plane in real life. Who wants to play Honey I shrunk the Kids and ride in it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat first pass 01.jpg (157.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Boat first pass 02.jpg (119.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by technoid; 05-24-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I started working on the boat this morning so I'll post a couple of pictures of the 3ds max screen, a render of it doesn't show as much detail as the screen right now. Please don't expect a perfect boat I'll do the best I can but I doubt it will turn out as well as I want it to. (my modeling limits are there) None-the-less here's a start.

It will have a cabin and behind the cabin it will have the floor recessed like a normal cabin cruiser. It will also have the little details on the deck that make it look right. Then I'll figure out how to attach the wings and go from there. Like always I create something and then modify it a time or two to get it right. OR.. as right as I can get it. The wing might end up wider than the place it attaches to the cabin and if it does it will have a cutout so it will be open where the floor behind the cabin is so the people can enjoy the view. To me this is kind of a camper plane. You fly there, spend the night on the boat, and then fly back. It would be a cool plane in real life. Who wants to play Honey I shrunk the Kids and ride in it?

Umm, the hull is going to be hard to break free of the water shaped like that.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Umm, the hull is going to be hard to break free of the water shaped like that.
Because of so much contact? I can tweak the design later. What are those small wing looking pontoons called like the Sea Breeze has? I'm thinking they could hold the retractable gear too. I saw their name once but I forgot it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sea Breeze.jpg (46.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by technoid; 05-24-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Because of so much contact? What are those small wing looking pontoons called like the Sea Breeze has? I'm thinking they could hold retractable gear too. I saw their name once but I forgot it.
A round bottom/nosed hull, pic in post 22, is not suited to high speed travel though the water like take off. Most all planes use a Wedge at the nose of the boat to part the water and a vee hull on the bottom see pics in posts 16 and 20.

EDIT picture in post 24 is fine

Last edited by legoman; 05-24-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
A round bottom/nosed hull, pic in post 22, is not suited to high speed travel though the water like take off. Most all planes use a Wedge at the nose of the boat to part the water and a vee hull on the bottom see pics in posts 16 and 20.
That's cool I can tweak the hull design after I get the basic plane finished. Pretty normal for me I like to get something going then tweak it. But thanks I'll do that!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:03 AM

I did some work on the cabin tonight so I thought I'd post a picture of it before I head off to bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat 03.jpg (104.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 AM

It looks like a nice start. I finally changed the USB cord on my Interlink Elite. I dug one out of the trash at work that has the RF cylinder thingie at the plug end instead of the radio end. I think almost everyone has had their cord go wonky intermittent at some point.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 05-25-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
It looks like a nice start. I finally changed the USB cord on my Interlink Elite. I dug one out of the trash at work that has the RF cylinder thingie at the plug end instead of the radio end. I think almost everyone has had their cord go wonky intermittent at some point.
Mine started acting up right after I bought RF 7 but I tied it to the handle with two tie wraps and used it until about 3 months ago when it finally quit working completely. So I took it apart and cut it off some and soldered it back on. I also made a new strain relief and tied it down to the handle again so it should be good for a long time now. But the cord is about 6 inches shorter now.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:28 PM

I think I said this already but this plane will be named Techair Sea Cruise not Seabus I don't know why I used Seabus I guess I just messed up. I also may end up deleting this thread and start another one with the correct name but I don't want to loose the posts in it now.

I did more work on it today and added the wings, booms, and tail. I'll be tweaking the booms so this isn't the final shape but you can see where I'm going with it. I was tired so I stopped but it will also have floats on the outside of the wings on struts. Anyway here's three shots of where it is now it's finally starting to look like something. Yeah a bit different but interesting. I'm also going to add flaps on the inside of the booms, they won't be that large but they'll be there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Techair Sea Cruise 01.jpg (65.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Techair Sea Cruise 02.jpg (52.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Techair Sea Cruise 03.jpg (56.6 KB, 10 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: