Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I think I said this already but this plane will be named Techair Sea Cruise not Seabus I don't know why I used Seabus I guess I just messed up. I also may end up deleting this thread and start another one with the correct name but I don't want to loose the posts in it now.

I did more work on it today and added the wings, booms, and tail. I'll be tweaking the booms so this isn't the final shape but you can see where I'm going with it. I was tired so I stopped but it will also have floats on the outside of the wings on struts. Anyway here's three shots of where it is now it's finally starting to look like something. Yeah a bit different but interesting. I'm also going to add flaps on the inside of the booms, they won't be that large but they'll be there.
Is there ant AOA or camber in the wing?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Is there ant AOA or camber in the wing?
Not yet that will be added later. Right now I'm building and placing parts, after everything is done I'll go back and add that type of stuff when I tweak the physics. I normally go back and fourth several times modifying the 3ds source and the RF physics.

EDIT 1: I have a two questions for you. First. Does the RealFlight physics actually change much with different airfoils? And second adding camber in the real world would be a good idea for this plane, but again will the RealFlight physics change much if I add some. Or does it just look nice in the editor.

EDIT 2: If you would like to give a suggestion on the airfoil post the number for it and I'll take a look. It's easy to tweak the wing to match it. I was going to look at some semi-symmetrical airfoils after I got all the basic stuff modeled and was ready to start on the physics. But being honest I was wondering if the RF physics would really change that much and make a real difference in how the plane files.

BUT... I do realize I have a Cabin Cruiser under that wing.

Last edited by technoid; 05-25-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Does the RealFlight physics actually change much with different airfoils?
It does change Minor changes don't change much but bigger changes like NACA 0014 to NACA 4414 would definitely be noticeable.

Quote:
...And second adding camber in the real world would be a good idea for this plane, but again will the RealFlight physics change much if I add some. Or does it just look nice in the editor.
Yes it does change handling. No it does not "just look nice in the editor".

Recommended airfoils
NACA 2414 It is on everything and their brother. Or NACA 4414 It is on the sea bee and both are mild mannered airfoils
Attached Images
File Type: gif Water line angle Wing AOA.gif (11.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Tech,
The wings look to be out of proportion to the cabin. Looks to me like the area needs to be doubled. JMO
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
It does change Minor changes don't change much but bigger changes like NACA 0014 to NACA 4414 would definitely be noticeable.

Yes it does change handling. No it does not "just look nice in the editor".

Recommended airfoils
NACA 2414 It is on everything and their brother. Or NACA 4414 It is on the sea bee and both are mild mannered airfoils
Okay... Good, thanks! This is just not something I ever played with all of my planes have the same airfoil I think, what ever sample physics I used first. My Bad!

I'll take a look at that airfoil and try it out once I get things going thanks a lot, it helps.. especially since I always use the same one. <ha>
Old 05-25-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Tech,
The wings look to be out of proportion to the cabin. Looks to me like the area needs to be doubled. JMO
Yeah they do look a little small for the load. Once I add the flaps on the inside of the booms it will be a bit better. I'll look at it again and see what I can tweak. I've actually widened the wing once already, but yeah adding more cord to the wing is probably a good idea. I haven't mentioned the new wingspan though. At first it was going to be 96 but I increased it to 120 inch.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I think I said this already but this plane will be named Techair Sea Cruise not Seabus I don't know why I used Seabus I guess I just messed up. I also may end up deleting this thread and start another one with the correct name but I don't want to loose the posts in it now.

I did more work on it today and added the wings, booms, and tail. I'll be tweaking the booms so this isn't the final shape but you can see where I'm going with it. I was tired so I stopped but it will also have floats on the outside of the wings on struts. Anyway here's three shots of where it is now it's finally starting to look like something. Yeah a bit different but interesting. I'm also going to add flaps on the inside of the booms, they won't be that large but they'll be there.
I think I have seen that plane before, at least one very similar....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 326fafe86633dc039bdb055e4f6344dd.jpg (47.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
I think I have seen that plane before, at least one very similar....
HA... Yeah like they say, there's nothing new under the sun. Boy that is very similar!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 PM

Okay I tweaked the booms just a little and added the flaps and it does look more like it can carry the load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Techair Sea Cruise 04.jpg (68.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Looking very nice!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
looks like a good start technoid i know you change as you go so cant wait to see how you progress with this flying boat
Old 05-26-2017, 09:50 AM

Why do I keep picturing a yellow CS with black trim and SCHOOL written on the side
Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Why do I keep picturing a yellow CS with black trim and SCHOOL written on the side
is it the short bus ?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
is it the short bus ?
I dunno. But when the flaps come up on this will they be red and say STOP ? Don't throw me under the SeaBus.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Ah... I see we're having fun at my expense!

Just for that your RF-X privileges are revoked for 2 weeks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: