Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 PM

Is there any information on the next RF-X update?

It may seem odd to say this given the amount of criticism I've leveled towards RF-X, but I'm a fan of it and it can be a great RC simulator if it receives updates to fix the problems nearly everyone has mentioned. So I'm wondering if the KE crew can give us some information about the next update. And I'll put a list of some of the things I'd like to see, and I'm sure most would be echoed by lots of people.

1. Serious Frame Rate improvements. As in a GTX 1070 would average 100 fps in all of the flying fields.

2. At least one really good lake for float flying with a really nice level of buildings and docks around. That would be a great improvement. Of course with that comes the water physics being as good or better than RF 7.5.

3. Modifications to the rendering engine so you can have an airplane that looks like it's covered with glossy monokote. I removed by models from the beta share thread because they clearly didn't look as good in RF-X as they did in RF 7.5. Which is a shame because lots of RC models still look old school with glossy monokote.

So guys please give us an update so we know where you're headed.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Banned

Also don't forget that a LOT of us would like some new HD flying photo fields and not the same old ones they have been using over and over from rf6.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
It may seem odd to say this given the amount of criticism I've leveled towards RF-X, but I'm a fan of it and it can be a great RC simulator if it receives updates to fix the problems nearly everyone has mentioned. So I'm wondering if the KE crew can give us some information about the next update.
the KE crew most likely doesn't have the funds to have the updates you desire. Seeing how it's a flop so far they don't want to take any risks just to make you happy. Money talks and with slow sales of this product.. can you blame them?

of course you could blame them for the extremely deceptive system requirements.... that's for sure!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobma View Post
the KE crew most likely doesn't have the funds to have the updates you desire. Seeing how it's a flop so far they don't want to take any risks just to make you happy. Money talks and with slow sales of this product.. can you blame them?

of course you could blame them for the extremely deceptive system requirements.... that's for sure!
If I were knife edge I would be looking for redemption just for this reason. The only way to do that is to Fix their product that us Real flight loyalist use. I know nothing about how big Knife edge company is or their financial situation,yet how much does it cost to get on their website and keep us informed as to what is going on. If they are "giving up" let us know or at least let us know when future updates are to be expected. So far its been about every 3 or 4 months on some but this guessing sucks. I do see where they were going with RFX and VR compatibility like oculus. That would be sweet!! But dang, ya gotta get it working on the monitor first RF!!!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmccurdy25 View Post
If I were knife edge I would be looking for redemption just for this reason. The only way to do that is to Fix their product that us Real flight loyalist use. I know nothing about how big Knife edge company is or their financial situation,yet how much does it cost to get on their website and keep us informed as to what is going on. If they are "giving up" let us know or at least let us know when future updates are to be expected. So far its been about every 3 or 4 months on some but this guessing sucks. I do see where they were going with RFX and VR compatibility like oculus. That would be sweet!! But dang, ya gotta get it working on the monitor first RF!!!
i hear you.... check this out:

"If your system meets the "Optimal System" configuration you should be able to run at HD desktop resolutions at 60 fps."

obviously something fishy is going on seeing that Nobody on the forum has had these results with an RX 480 or GTX 1060.
maybe on the lowest settings??
and at 720P ?

Most consider HD resolution 1080P though.

Last edited by bobma; 06-17-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 AM

I see it going used for cheaper and cheaper on my RC forums. The last one was a person selling RF-X with the newer controller for $49 shipped. And that took a week.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 PM

I just hope they find their way back to the old engine and come out with RF8. Add models, add sceneries, add the FBX model import from X with the higher poly limit, add servo torque emulation, fix some bugs, call it a day and continue from there. I'd buy it.

RealFlight was always an amazing platform for playing with physics, designing your own aircraft and flying with your friends in an uncomplicated manner. I do own RF-X, yet I never use it. I feel like it was a mistake to abandon the old platform, especially since it was so rich in features, you could do pretty much anything you wanted on an average PC.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 AM

I couldn't agree more Jonas. I have no idea why they changed engines. Maybe it was because the programmers they have now are clueless to develop the old one to something even better. I like legoman's signature about how RF7.5 is a Grade A simulator where RF-X is more of a mediocre game. Can it be saved ? That is the big question.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:30 PM

yeah, who knows what went on internally at KE between the tail-end of the 7 platform and X.....

The conundrum is always money talks...7 was such a great item, they made a buck off me ONCE and I've been playing happy for years...sometimes a product is so good, it puts you out of business?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Is RF X dead or what, no updates or anything, bunch of well documented bugs and optimization problems but nothing from KE?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 PM

You know very well that RF-X is not dead. Stop trolling.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
You know very well that RF-X is not dead. Stop trolling.

Not a troll, paid fn good money for junk, they have not done a update in months.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 PM

Give them a week or two. It was a little over three month between the two previous updates. And the last one was just under three month ago.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 PM

I talked to Great Planes support today and ask them if they knew anything about an RF-X update but they said they haven't been told anything about one. They said the updates come from KnifeEdge and they haven't been informed of anything yet.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM

You know it is not dead and it is not junk... both statements are trolling.

I expect an update, but I am not worried about it, nor am I upset waiting. The Knife Edge guys are reliable. It is just not the same product as RF7.5, nor do I expect it to be. I have no inside knowledge whatsoever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: