Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Knife Edge Software Owner

Hey everyone about selling off my websites. I wanted to trim some things down in my life with my air show career keeping me more and more busy every year. I retain ownership of Knife Edge Software where we will continue to make the best R/C flight simulator in the world. In fact I just saw some new stuff we've been working on. Looking good, but that's all I'll say!

Jim
Old 07-28-2017, 01:41 PM

Thank you very much for responding here Mr. Bourke. It was nice to see you so promptly let us know what was happening on HF and RCG.

I'm sure it will put those at ease waiting for RF-X to become the ultimate RC simulator. There are some very good people here still making content for your products who deserve kudos for doing such and sticking with it.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:11 PM

Very good Jim.. Thanks! We needed to know everything is moving forward in the RF-X world.. can't wait to see what's next.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
yes thanks for the reply Jim , its good to hear things are still good with your RC sim , i'm looking forward to the new things you have in store
Old 07-30-2017, 05:46 AM

yeah, we gotta wonder!
Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 AM

Thanks for keeping the software coming I'm really enjoying X
Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 PM

I sure hope that there will be improvements in RFX soon that make it a real successor to RF7.
Currently there just is nothing that would make it interesting for me.
Like there are only two (or so) planes in the Slowflyer/Parkflyer category, not a single indoor scenario, no photofields and no user created contents.
Most of my favorite fields and planes are user created. Slightly improved 3D graphics are not really worth losing them.
It's actually worrying to see how the amount of user created plane/heli models decreased since G4 or so. Actually the user creates models and the possibility to create your own models was something that made RF special back in the days of G3 and G4.
But instead of improving the toolchain and opening it to freely available or cheap 3d modeling tools, the pre-RFX toolchain seems to only support an obsolete 32bit version of 3dsmax while the tools for RFX are still beta.
It seems that KnifeEdge continues to ignore customer wishes as they did in the last decade.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
I sure hope that there will be improvements in RFX soon that make it a real successor to RF7.
Currently there just is nothing that would make it interesting for me.
Like there are only two (or so) planes in the Slowflyer/Parkflyer category, not a single indoor scenario, no photofields and no user created contents.
Most of my favorite fields and planes are user created. Slightly improved 3D graphics are not really worth losing them.
It's actually worrying to see how the amount of user created plane/heli models decreased since G4 or so. Actually the user creates models and the possibility to create your own models was something that made RF special back in the days of G3 and G4.
But instead of improving the toolchain and opening it to freely available or cheap 3d modeling tools, the pre-RFX toolchain seems to only support an obsolete 32bit version of 3dsmax while the tools for RFX are still beta.
It seems that KnifeEdge continues to ignore customer wishes as they did in the last decade.
Amen to that. Just give me some NEW high res photo fields and I would be much happier.

They go on and on about how good these 3d fields look and I just have to laugh. I fly on a 4K 55inch curved display and there is nothing to brag about other than the models themselves.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM

Yeah, they should have improved the photofields instead of removing them. Back in the days of G3 I already suggested to allow editing the height map (and/or Z buffer) like in Reflex XTR to allow more realistic ground especially for gliding. I understand that Phoenix allows this now as well. Dunno if either allows placing 3D objects in a photofield like Reaflight did in the past. Anyway, there would have been a lot of improvement possible for photofields and instead they just dropped them. Hard to grasp.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:38 PM

It is quite possible that photofields are not possible in the new engine that powers RF-X, meaning that it isn't technically possible. I don't mind flying in the 3d environment as I used them primarily in older versions of realflight. Flying in front of a photo looks generic once you get used to field depth. I do wish that the colors were brighter as everything looks like a desert, or arid landscape. I don't fly in a landscape anywhere like that here in the south east part of the United States.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:12 PM

Well, if there were detailed and beautiful indoor scenarios, abandoned airfields and European meadows, I guess I could live without the photofields. Then again, I definitely prefer a pretty photofield over some semi-ugly desert in 3D. Whatever made them select this engine, for some reason the graphics don't look much improved compared to RF7 and not even close to that Superposition benchmark thing.
I sure don't understand why they didn't license something like the CryEngine which was able to render beautiful and vast landscapes ten years ago and which would have allowed us to fully edit own scenarios from the ground up instead of just placing some props in the desert.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
Hey everyone about selling off my websites. I wanted to trim some things down in my life with my air show career keeping me more and more busy every year. I retain ownership of Knife Edge Software where we will continue to make the best R/C flight simulator in the world. In fact I just saw some new stuff we've been working on. Looking good, but that's all I'll say!

Jim
Thank you for at least letting us know that we aren't holding on for nothing! Look forward to some updates! multiplayer will make this program rock!
Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 PM

Ok, I am calling bullxxxt on all this now.

This software has a lot of potential and in reality its being sold as an "in development app" which I buy all the time and I accept the cons however a proper in development app keeps people updated, releases beta test software and is organic in its growth.

All we know is the owner has sold off his main business and we have a half completed piece of software which we are told is being further developed. Well I and others paid full retail price to support the owners business so how about treating us mere users and lifestyle providers for the owners some respect please.

Why can't he share the development or ask for feedback so I call BULLSXXT.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
Ok, I am calling bullxxxt on all this now.

This software has a lot of potential and in reality its being sold as an "in development app" which I buy all the time and I accept the cons however a proper in development app keeps people updated, releases beta test software and is organic in its growth.

All we know is the owner has sold off his main business and we have a half completed piece of software which we are told is being further developed. Well I and others paid full retail price to support the owners business so how about treating us mere users and lifestyle providers for the owners some respect please.

Why can't he share the development or ask for feedback so I call BULLSXXT.
I feel your pain and also want an update on what's really happening, but on the other side of the coin I'm a retired software developer and often the software developers hands are pretty much tied by agreements with their publisher. And that could be the case here. But yeah it sure would be nice to get a percent completed of what they intend to do for this update so we'd know where we are in the wait cycle.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I feel your pain and also want an update on what's really happening, but on the other side of the coin I'm a retired software developer and often the software developers hands are pretty much tied by agreements with their publisher. And that could be the case here. But yeah it sure would be nice to get a percent completed of what they intend to do for this update so we'd know where we are in the wait cycle.
Does sharing the pain double it or divide it by 2 ?

Anyway they could at least tell us through the publisher, don't you think? They are now losing the support of even us hardcore supporters?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: