Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM

A bit more progress to report. I tapered the back of the fuselage and reshaped the top and bottom of the booms to be almost flat like the picture of the La Donna. Now the front end lays very close to the wing like the picture so give it a look and see what you think. I might need to raise the front of them a little they're pretty close to the wing. OH.. I also modified the center section and moved the back of the fuselage in front of the flaps. I think the ailerons will be okay if I cut them at the booms and use the inside part for flaps. But it could go either way if I need them to be ailerons. But I expect the outside ailerons will be fine and I'll use the inside part as flaps. I wasn't planning to do that but it keeps the look of the plane more like the original. Here's another render for you.

I've got quite a bit of work to do on the tail section. The rudders need to be shaped and I need to finish the hstab too. So there's a lot of work to make it look the way I want. But its coming along nicely. It might look like the La Donna after all. I'm still thinking about leaving the wheel pants off and giving it retracts. These kind of planes look sleek in the air without the landing gear hanging down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 09.jpg (298.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by technoid; 07-17-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:56 PM

looking very nice,you sure do great work and I thank you for all the aircraft that you have made and put on the swap pages!
Ron
Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6234 View Post
looking very nice,you sure do great work and I thank you for all the aircraft that you have made and put on the swap pages!
Ron
You're welcome I'm glad you enjoy them. This is therapy for me it keeps my mind working, don't have that much left so I need to keep what I have working. Ha!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 PM

In the spirit of this plane I made a cockpit like the pictures in the first post. The gauges on the dash are not meant to be real gauges just gray circles where the gauges would be. The cockpit area only goes down one half inch so the seat is cut off too. It seems to work for this plane. Oh I still haven't shaped the rudders so don't worry if you notice that, sometimes I finish things in a strange order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 10.jpg (259.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg La Donna 11.jpg (219.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg La Donna 12.jpg (199.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM

It's looking more like the real one every day. Let me know if I can help again with anything. I have LOTS of spare time right now.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:13 PM

I worked on it quite a bit today and I'm getting closer. I finished shaping the hstab and vstab so they should look very close to the original now. There are a few minor changes that I wanted but for the most part they look the same. I also added some new landing gear today but I won't be doing the wheel pants or retracts. I think the wheel pants would look wrong on such long gear for the larger plane and the booms for this plane aren't very deep so there's not enough room for the tire once it's retracted. So just simple gear for this one. I made a few other tweaks here and there but nothing serious. I need to add some fillets for the aileron and flaps once I cut the existing ailerons and make separate parts. Right now it's just an aileron all the way across. Once I get all that finished I can start on the physics, but that will be a while yet. Oh I also worked on the muffler making it look more like the MACs one piece muffler. Here's a render of where it's at now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 13.jpg (306.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 PM

I'm sure we can figure out something to suggest for the channel that would be for retracts. Maybe a sliding/opening canopy ... LOL
Old 07-20-2017, 06:39 AM

I'm about finished. I added the fillets for the aileron and flaps so except for cutting out the engine bay I think it's done. Of course something always seems to creep in but I think it's looking pretty good. Here's a 3 view set for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 14.jpg (231.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg La Donna 15.jpg (207.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg La Donna 16.jpg (193.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Looks great! Are you going to keep that cs or the original one?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6234 View Post
Looks great! Are you going to keep that cs or the original one?
I'll create the original CS after I finish mapping it. You'll only see a hint of the rib cage through the paint it's totally transparent now just for modeling. I think I'll turn the wing gear around so you can see the axle collar. At first I was planning on retracts so they would be on the inside, but I think it would look better if they were on the outside now. A little thing, but those matter.

Last edited by technoid; 07-20-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:44 PM

How about a cowl? I started working on cutting the engine bay out and thought maybe a cowl would look nice. I also modeled screws for it. I added a rounded down area at the end of the fuselage where it meets the spinner. It was straight before but the real model was rounded down.,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 17.jpg (162.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by technoid; 07-20-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Nice detail !! I hope I'm done with crap going bad around the house. First the dryer, then the hot water heater, and now just had to replace the garbage disposal. It's good to have friends with tools or I'd really be broke. Plumbers = $85-$100 hour .. Friends $0 hour .. priceless.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM

I started cutting the cowl to fit the engine but I'm not quite finished yet I still have the intake do. Here's a render of where I'm at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 20.jpg (268.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 PM

Looking great Technoid, Have you considered tapering the leading edge of the H stab. Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Looking great Technoid, Have you considered tapering the leading edge of the H stab. Just a thought.
I normally add the chamfer just before I start mapping so I can grab a part later and reuse it for another project. It's easy to resize or reshape a part that hasn't been chamfered but once chamfered the complex shape gets messed up when resizing or reshaping. I reuse parts a lot so that really helps. So no worries the hstab and vstab will be chamfered before I start mapping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: