Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 AM

Well Technoid, I should have known that, I `ve followed enough of, if not all of your builds to know that`s your MO, Just checking in with ya
Old 07-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Well Technoid, I should have known that, I `ve followed enough of, if not all of your builds to know that`s your MO, Just checking in with ya
No problem I get that suggestion often I'm used to it. <grin>

Speaking of reusing parts this plane was built entirely out of parts from two planes, the Trident and Lazy Eight. It's just quicker to grab parts from similar planes and reshape them a bit to fit the new plane.

I'm just happy to talk about anything on the forum so keep commenting. I miss the old days when I first came here when there were several people building planes at the same time. Ha.. I even remember posting that I didn't think I'd ever be able to model planes and Fly_electric kidding me after I started working on my first plane, Boxie Flier. Well I need to get back to La Donna and cut out the intake in the front.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:16 AM

I added an intake to the front now I'll add a chamfer to the hstab and vstab and work on the physics. I'll release a beta after I finish the first pass of the physics so you can play with it. For some reason I've been into dual boomed planes recently. I think it's that P-38 thing. I'm not sure I'll do a collision mesh for this plane so it won't be RF-X compatible if I don't. Does that matter to anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 21.jpg (270.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
you have the La Donna looking really good technoid , yes the P-38 is most likely to blame for the dual Boom planes
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM

I wish I'd taken a screenshot. The other day I hit the water with the Sea Cruise and just ended up with the boat part perfectly remaining floating there.

Your usual fancy tweaking is kicking in on this one again. LOL .. It's one of the fun things about designing I know you enjoy.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I wish I'd taken a screenshot. The other day I hit the water with the Sea Cruise and just ended up with the boat part perfectly remaining floating there.

Your usual fancy tweaking is kicking in on this one again. LOL .. It's one of the fun things about designing I know you enjoy.
Yeah I always seem to do that at the end. I'm glad you like it, thanks! Yes sometimes when you crash Sea Cruise funny things happen.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM

The tail feathers are chamfered and I'm ready to start on the physics. But it's time to do the grocery shopping, gotta eat too! Here's a render for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 22.jpg (318.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:45 PM

Okay guys I just finished the first pass of the physics so here's a beta for you to play with, let me know if you find anything wrong. It was designed as a sport plane so the physics are fairly mild.. tune as you wish.

----

NOTES

1: Smoke is on Channel 7

2: I haven't removed the retracts from the physics yet so put the 3 POS switch in the Toward You Position (my normal retracts down).

----

EDITS

1: Sorry I uploaded it too fast I need to fix something I'll upload it again later.

2: Okay I fixed it here's the updated file.

3. Removed old beta will upload new one.

----

Last edited by technoid; 07-23-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Remove old beta.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Thanks much A tweaking and playing we will go.

So far I took the .4 incidence out of the main wing (set to 0) and made the flaps work as a second elevator. It's a blast to tinker around.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 07-22-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks much A tweaking and playing we will go.

So far I took the .4 incidence out of the main wing (set to 0) and made the flaps work as a second elevator. It's a blast to tinker around.
HA! Did you notice the PROP wasn't showing in the first version? I fixed it and uploaded a new version, sorry about that.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
HA! Did you notice the PROP wasn't showing in the first version? I fixed it and uploaded a new version, sorry about that.
I did notice the landing gear (struts and wheels) wasn't showing in the edit screen. Well they are there but just retracted up into things. I moved them to Ch. 7 and the smoke to Ch. 9

Last edited by BrokeDad; 07-22-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I did notice the landing gear (struts and wheels) wasn't showing in the edit screen. Well they are there but just retracted up into things.
Sorry about that I haven't removed the retracts from the physics yet so just put the 3 POS switch in the Toward You Position (my normal retracts down).
Old 07-22-2017, 06:43 PM

No big deal. I noticed you closed up the see though part of the wings in the updated version too. I'm just waiting to see what Doug says
Old 07-22-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
No big deal. I noticed you closed up the see though part of the wings in the updated version too. I'm just waiting to see what Doug says
I didn't change the wing transparency the only thing I did was add the Engine Visual Frame entry in the physics. It was <None> and needed to be ~CS_ENGINE. The wing transparency uses a baked on color right now and I didn't change it, but it is set really low so you can't see through them much. That's intended to look like a normal covering where you can't really see through except with some light behind the wing.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:23 PM

Here's a new beta let me know if you find anything wrong because I'm ready to upload it. Since this plane has a simple color scheme I decided to cut the color scheme directly into the 3d model and release it with a baked on color scheme. I know that keeps other color schemes from being made but I don't think this is a plane people will care about making a color scheme for, so it seems okay to do it that way. I have other stuff I want to get started on so taking the time to map it, do the 1x1 mapping, and then do a color scheme is just more work that I want to put into this plane. I think the baked on color scheme turned out fine and looks like the one in the original pictures I posted. The only change I made was instead of using white as the main color I used a light tan, but the blue stripes and red pin stripes are the same. You can do one thing with the color scheme. You can fill the TGA file with any color you want for the main color and the plane will use it. But the blue stripes and the red pinstripes won't change because I could only use one color this way. So you can change it a bit, but not much. Anyway grab it and let me know if the colors look okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Donna 01.jpg (154.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg La Donna 02.jpg (135.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg La Donna 03.jpg (104.1 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rfx La Donna_EA.RFX (952.6 KB, 6 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: