Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Been trying to upload several color schemes lately without success...

I get either:

A) The forever "thinking circle" , with no upload complete or error message , or

B) The message "upload failed, be sure file is less than 2MB"

Files are all 4200-4400KB, (I've successfully uploaded other color schemes that were over12,000KB) and these are only modified versions of previously uploaded schemes.

Any advise (besides starting again from scratch!) would be appreciated
When you save the TGA file do you enable compression? I meant to ask this before but forgot to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,114
Just post the file that you want posted on the Swap pages, if there is a error with the file, I would like to see exactly what it says and see if there is a work around.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 PM
DangerZone's Avatar
DangerZone DangerZone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: The Danger Zone, USA
Posts: 208
This is what the broken upload page looks like for me, if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knife edge problem..JPG (43.1 KB, 9 views)
__________________
I have the need, the need for speed!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Moto-Guzzi Moto-Guzzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Is this the plane on the swaps you're talking about, and the one YOU USE?

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=10151

Give me a few links to pictures or upload pictures of a Jenny you want modeled. It would be good to have some really nice shots of it. I'm finishing a plane I'm working on now and might do it for my next plane. ( BUT NO PROMISES )

Yes thats the one I've been tinkering with...are you talking about rendering an entirely new 3-d model? Or somehow manipulating whats there to add more components (I dont know anything about 3-d rendering).

I will start another thread and post some pictures and line diagrams (lots of JN-4 images online)

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:59 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Yes thats the one I've been tinkering with...are you talking about rendering an entirely new 3-d model? Or somehow manipulating whats there to add more components (I dont know anything about 3-d rendering).

I will start another thread and post some pictures and line diagrams (lots of JN-4 images online)

Thanks again!
It will be an all new model with more detail than the first one even in the items that are there. The problem is you can't modify an existing model unless you have the source code for it but the original modelers don't usually do that. That Jenny has a 96 inch wingspan so I'll make mine the same size. Once I get the model I'm working on finished I'll start on it after a little break.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-23-2017, 10:27 PM
Moto-Guzzi Moto-Guzzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I think your first one was this where you fixed all the stuff wrong with the Army CS.
Yup Dad, that was an "improvement" over my first army scheme....biggest issue was to rake angle on the lower aluminum cowl to match the angle of the wing stagger...I knew something didnt look right from jump, but I couldnt put my finger on it till I reviewed some pics...Cowl top also comes down too a little too far onto the side of the fuse, fixed that on my newer ones...

At first I put the stars further outboard on the top wing because without the king posts and rigging the wing looked a little bare in that area.

Big hassle, as the ailerons are split, upside down, and on opposite wings in the colorscheme...cutting , flipping, and aligning pieces of that star decal was tough....

Later I decided to go with the larger decals further inboard, as they would never have bothered to try painting them under all that post and rigging....thats why in so many original (and restoration pics) the stars are so far inboard

Note also the struts and wheel backs....could not find them in the color scheme (they are "baked in"?")....how they became that lavender-brown is a mystery to me, they were originally a turquoise color in the original TGA....dont really like it, but I'll take it over turquoise!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Moto-Guzzi Moto-Guzzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
It will be an all new model with more detail than the first one even in the items that are there. The problem is you can't modify an existing model unless you have the source code for it but the original modelers don't usually do that. That Jenny has a 96 inch wingspan so I'll make mine the same size. Once I get the model I'm working on finished I'll start on it after a little break.

Wow that would be awesome, If you can, fabulous, but of course
"no obligation no expectation" on my end...

Maybe I should save all my "unpublished" color combos for the new model?

What say ye, Real-Flighters?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,575
MOTO, you can and should save them, however, you probably won`t find them very useful on a new map, would probably be less time consuming to just start a new CS on a new map (if / when Technoid makes a new model) hard to say though. which way would be easier/less time consuming.
__________________
I'd like to see a 2 file per day upload limit
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 PM
BrokeDad's Avatar
BrokeDad BrokeDad is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 923
If technoid is going to do it then it would be worth saving your CS ideas for it. He has an extraordinary attention to detail. It will be really great to see the Jenny in all it's splendor instead of just the basics. I'm sure once he gets it done you will be able to work your own magic with the TGA file.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:54 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,472
The color scheme layout will change completely on the model I create so I'd release your current color schemes unless you don't want them to be available for both planes. I haven't looked at the CS for the old Jenny but that stuff always changes from plane to plane, it's just the way different people layout their plane. My layouts are very easy to follow so you won't have any problem creating color schemes for it. One thing I started doing is laying out the wing and aileron together so you can just paint across them and not have to worry about alignment. if you want the wing and aileron different colors you'll have to test and adjust the colors a little since they're so close together they bleed across if not aligned correctly. But it's not hard. And I can give you a special map from the original layout called visible edges that shows the layout of the plane which you can overlay on your TGA as a different layer to see the alignments perfectly. So you'll be able to do it easily with my new plane, but what you have now won't work with it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Moto-Guzzi Moto-Guzzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
The color scheme layout will change completely on the model I create so I'd release your current color schemes unless you don't want them to be available for both planes. I haven't looked at the CS for the old Jenny but that stuff always changes from plane to plane, it's just the way different people layout their plane. My layouts are very easy to follow so you won't have any problem creating color schemes for it. One thing I started doing is laying out the wing and aileron together so you can just paint across them and not have to worry about alignment. if you want the wing and aileron different colors you'll have to test and adjust the colors a little since they're so close together they bleed across if not aligned correctly. But it's not hard. And I can give you a special map from the original layout called visible edges that shows the layout of the plane which you can overlay on your TGA as a different layer to see the alignments perfectly. So you'll be able to do it easily with my new plane, but what you have now won't work with it at all.

Wow that would be awesome...the edges of the cockpit combing and a few other "alignment" issues were pretty painful on the old jenny!!

I think I'll wait on yours (if it gets done) before posting the last couple of favorites....like anything else, the more you tinker the better you get, and I really like the color combo and shading techniques I worked out on the last few, so I think I'll "save them" for if and when yours is available.

But I am still a Gimp novice, I dont do texture maps and I havent done well with cockpits yet....I think there is some technique to "magnify" a portion of the scheme to put more detailed instruments so they dont pixel out....I havent figured that out, but I'll take any help I can get!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,575
Moto, The detail comes from the size of the map as well as the "painters" willingness and time to place pixels where they belong, It`s been awhile since I`ve done A CS, But the most popular size for detail in RF is 4096 x 4096 pixels (I belief, ??? technoid, correct me if I`m wrong) but that size map always gives good detail for RF`s purpose. Also, in Gimp, there is a magnifying glass that you can use to zoom into any particular area of the map, which you may or may not be aware of, thought I would just throw that in. . Also, detail comes from the size of a particular piece on the map, IF there`s a detailed cockpit and/ or instrument panel in the plane, a modeler will make those parts bigger on the map in order to get better detail, HOWEVER, you can change sizes in the CS map.
__________________
I'd like to see a 2 file per day upload limit
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Wow that would be awesome...the edges of the cockpit combing and a few other "alignment" issues were pretty painful on the old jenny!!

I think I'll wait on yours (if it gets done) before posting the last couple of favorites....like anything else, the more you tinker the better you get, and I really like the color combo and shading techniques I worked out on the last few, so I think I'll "save them" for if and when yours is available.

But I am still a Gimp novice, I dont do texture maps and I havent done well with cockpits yet....I think there is some technique to "magnify" a portion of the scheme to put more detailed instruments so they dont pixel out....I havent figured that out, but I'll take any help I can get!
I'm finished with the plane I was working on and have spent most of the day collecting pictures and two different plans for the Curtiss JN-4D Jenny. I picked one of the plans to use and will post pictures of it when I start the build thread for the Jenny (very soon). But please understand I need some time before jumping into another plane and I may take more time doing it this time. I don't know if you've followed any of the build threads in the developer forum but a plane can take 2 to 6 months to finish, and some have been a year so it takes some time to create them. So far mine have been 2-3 months. The first thing I need to do is take the plans I found and cut out all the parts and put them on a template so I can import it in 3DS Max. That way I can create all the parts to match the plan.

The trick you talked about for making the instrument panel have more resolution needs to be done by the 3D modeler (me) when he creates the mapping for the plane, that's what you use to create the color scheme. I've done if for several of my planes and it's just making the instrument panel larger in the mapping so it has more pixels. I'll do that for you so you can make a better instrument panel.

QUESTION: Do you use RF-X ???

If you don't use RF-X I can use some short cuts that I can't use developing planes for RF-X. I have RF-X but so far I don't use it. Maybe the next update for RF-X will make it usable for me, at least I hope so. But for now I'm using RF 6.5 and 7.5. So let me know if you currently use RF-X or even if you plan on buying it soon, that will change my plan for creating the plane.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.