Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Curtiss JN-4D Jenny

I spent most of the day searching the web for pictures of the Curtiss JN-4D Jenny. I also found a set of plans to use so I thought I'd start a build thread with those. The first thing I need to do is cut out all the parts and create a template I can use for 3ds Max. Once that's finished I can create all the parts to the plan as I go. I just finished my other build so I need a break before I jump into this one, so I don't know when I'll get going on it. But soon I hope. Here's the plans I found I'll post an update after I create the 3ds Max template. Oh.. these plans don't show the rigging but I'll create that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jenny Page 1.jpg (198.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Jenny Page 2.jpg (177.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:52 AM

Here is another plan with wires.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5953

Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Here is another plan with wires.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5953
Thanks! I actually had two plans the other one was from there, but it's not that one. I like the way the one I'm using is laid out the best and I've been working on it this morning and have everything cut out and moved to a template. I'll post a picture of it soon I'm finishing it up right now. But thanks for checking on it for me I can use this one for the wire placement. Ha.. sometimes looking at the Jenny it looks like it's made with wires.

Last edited by technoid; 07-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM

Both You guys guys have the same plans I was going to post !! LOL!!!

I have close-up shots of the Radiator, engine, control surfaces etc I'll post later...dont want to rush you
Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Both You guys guys have the same plans I was going to post !! LOL!!!

I have close-up shots of the Radiator, engine, control surfaces etc I'll post later...dont want to rush you
Go ahead and post them I'd like to see them reference material is always good.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:44 PM

This needs a flat bottom airfoil.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
This needs a flat bottom airfoil.
Yes it does I'll create the wings per the plan. I just finished making the template I'll use in 3ds Max from both sheets of the plan and will post it next. This will be a scale plane (not my usual) so I'll be paying close attention to things like that, but please help me out when you see me missing the mark.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yes it does I'll create the wings per the plan. I just finished making the template I'll use in 3ds Max from both sheets of the plan and will post it next. This will be a scale plane (not my usual) so I'll be paying close attention to things like that, but please help me out when you see me missing the mark.
For the airfoil I would Google "incomplete guide to airfoil usage " it should be a .edu site. It will have the name of the airfoil for this plane an a cross section of it on a different page. The airfoil in the plans does not match what I would expect but it is possible that I am incorrect.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM

I cut out all the parts from both sheets of the plan and created a template for 3ds Max, here's a (reduced size) picture of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg template-sm.jpg (102.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 01:44 PM

As I thought the airfoil is abstracted in the plans Google Eiffel 36 airfoil. The first image in the images is what I would expect. I am on my phone so it may be different on a computer.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:10 PM

That my friend is the quintissential Jenny....flat bottom radiator, large rudder...

Their was a "Canuck" verson built in Canada that typically had a smaller, rounder rudder, and (depending on engine) a rounded bottom or completely oval radiator...you may come across some pictures of a Jenny like that, but they are less common...

The one you have is "THE" Jenny.
At work right now, will post some pics tonight from home
Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
As I thought the airfoil is abstracted in the plans Google Eiffel 36 airfoil. The first image in the images is what I would expect. I am on my phone so it may be different on a computer.
Thanks here's the picture I found of the airfoil - Eiffel 36.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eiffel 36 (OS0188_A).jpg (32.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
That my friend is the quintissential Jenny....flat bottom radiator, large rudder...

Their was a "Canuck" verson built in Canada that typically had a smaller, rounder rudder, and (depending on engine) a rounded bottom or completely oval radiator...you may come across some pictures of a Jenny like that, but they are less common...

The one you have is "THE" Jenny.
At work right now, will post some pics tonight from home
Okay I just want to make sure the plan I found and created a template for is the Jenny you want? I know there are lots of them and I'm not an expert but I looked quite a bit and the plan I found seemed to be the right one to build. I just want to make sure before I start modeling.

Last edited by technoid; 07-25-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Okay I just want to make sure the plan I found and created a template for is the Jenny you want? I know there are lots of them and I'm not an expert but I looked quite a bit and the plan I found seemed to be the right one to build. I just want to make sure before I start modeling.
No prob, youre perfect....what you have is the most common, most familiar version, the one I like best....I'll get some more pics up later tonight
Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
No prob, youre perfect....what you have is the most common, most familiar version, the one I like best....I'll get some more pics up later tonight
Okay good that's what I thought after reading a bunch about it. So I'll create the airfoil using the one Legoman pointed me to and model the rest of it like the plan. I did grab some close up shots of the radiator, gear, and dashboard but if you can add to that so I'll be sure to model it right. The big thing for me is not having to go back and redo the parts so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: