Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Do what you`re happy with Technoid, Me personally, I`ve never liked to much of it (rigging) in RF, just because of the way it looks in RF, I "THINK" Moto is more concerned more about the structural/physical ??? details And not so much the rigging, yet, still would like a "fair" amount. In the end, it`s your call.
Thanks that's what I need. If you look at my Big Red it has lots of rigging so that's what I'm planning for the Jenny too. But putting all the wires from the real plane on an rc model makes it look like a ball of wire, too much in a small space. But yeah I want plenty of rigging. And the structure will be just like the plans, with real louvers on the cowl for more realism. And maybe some modeled gauges too, depends on how many triangles I have left at that point.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks that's what I need. If you look at my Big Red it has lots of rigging so that's what I'm planning for the Jenny too. But putting all the wires from the real plane on an rc model makes it look like a ball of wire, too much in a small space. But yeah I want plenty of rigging. And the structure will be just like the plans, with real louvers on the cowl for more realism. And maybe some modeled gauges too, depends on how many triangles I have left at that point.
I`m positive, that the finished plane will be beyond expectations, What`s nice, is to see you jump into a "scale" plane (don`t recall if you`ve done one ???) WHILE, I think all/everything you do is great, I think most people prefer scale planes for the most part, (just my opinion) SO, with that, This will be a cool build to follow, I believe, the last "scale" plane, was Legomans DC-3
Old 07-26-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
I`m positive, that the finished plane will be beyond expectations, What`s nice, is to see you jump into a "scale" plane (don`t recall if you`ve done one ???) WHILE, I think all/everything you do is great, I think most people prefer scale planes for the most part, (just my opinion) SO, with that, This will be a cool build to follow, I believe, the last "scale" plane, was Legomans DC-3
You're right I really haven't done scale planes but I did something pretty close with my Lightning. And I agree pretty much everyone prefers scale planes. But I grew up with planes like the ones I usually model, just toy planes to fly.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...g%2002_6lr.jpg
Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 AM

I'd think just the X wiring in between the wings would be enough. I really don't think we need all that stuff up above them etc. That's what I miss on the current one plus a bit of the other detail.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I'd think just the X wiring in between the wings would be enough. I really don't think we need all that stuff up above them etc. That's what I miss on the current one plus a bit of the other detail.
I agree, I hope I havent overwhelmed the expectation on the rigging....

It needs "some", but when the original is a flying string bag its always (for me with models) a fussy line when to say "enough is enough"

For me, a Jenny MUST have the loop strut under the wing, and (if possible) a little something off the king posts just for visual interest

Note that its the king posts and rigging that "force" the star decals to be so far inboard in most (real and model) paint schemes
Old 07-26-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
And the structure will be just like the plans, with real louvers on the cowl for more realism. And maybe some modeled gauges too, depends on how many triangles I have left at that point.
YIKES! I hope I can paint something that detailed!!

Gonna need some help in the cockpit LOL!!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:18 AM

Here's some cool videos on the Curtiss OX-5 Engine.

Curtiss OX-5 90 HP engine running on a stand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eht035pmGzo

Curtiss OX-5 Overhaul Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE4xpRuFcaQ

Curtiss OX-5 Overhaul Part 2 and 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9I2wv7Jt84
Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM

Here's five links to rigging pictures I like.

The king post rigging is something a scale purist really wants because it's a defining feature of the Jenny. But a stand off scale person leaves it off because to him the plane looks better without it. Gosh this is a tough one. I want you guys to like the plane I model but at the same time I want to like the plane I model, and like Uncle Twist mentioned I'm not a scale guy and the Jenny is more pleasing to my eye without the king post rigging. SO.. can we live without it? And yes the wing skids are a must.

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/pho...ot-jenny-quot/

Old 07-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Cool stuff! Thanks....

And I hope by now its clear a lot of my posts are merely "interesting Jenny Trivia" for conversational purposes, not expectations on THIS particular model..

In any case, I'm having fun and I really apprciate the support and interest in my favorite airplane of all time (ever since my dad took me to see "The Great Waldo Pepper" in the 70's)

If you are a youngster (like, under 30?) PM me a shipping address and I'll send you a DVD copy...greatest Golden Age of Aviation movie ever made
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Can we live without the King Posts?

Absolutely....Like I said, the rigging starts to take on a life of its own...one wire leading to the next until its all just WAY TOO MUCH.

How to put "some" without copying "all" is a level of artistic ability I'll leave to you..I'm sure it will look great
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM

My FMLA leave was extended another 3 1/2 weeks today so I have plenty of time for new betas It wasn't fun being stuck repeatedly with needles in the knee for draining and shots though.

The La Donna XL is done for Moto's flying fields. I hope you liked it. We will definitely need an upsized version for those of this one.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Cool stuff! Thanks....

And I hope by now its clear a lot of my posts are merely "interesting Jenny Trivia" for conversational purposes, not expectations on THIS particular model..

In any case, I'm having fun and I really apprciate the support and interest in my favorite airplane of all time (ever since my dad took me to see "The Great Waldo Pepper" in the 70's)

If you are a youngster (like, under 30?) PM me a shipping address and I'll send you a DVD copy...greatest Golden Age of Aviation movie ever made
Ha.. I have that movie, very cool!

And yes I understood your posts were interesting facts about the Jenny. I did lots of reading (most of the day) about the Jenny before I picked that plan and knew about all the variants it had during it's production. I may use the Hispano Suiza 8 engine but from what I understand it was introduced in the JN-4H, not a big deal for the modeling part but that's what I read about it.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Can we live without the King Posts?

Absolutely....Like I said, the rigging starts to take on a life of its own...one wire leading to the next until its all just WAY TOO MUCH.

How to put "some" without copying "all" is a level of artistic ability I'll leave to you..I'm sure it will look great
Okay, good deal thanks. I didn't want to disappoint you because I know you like them. I plan to put rigging on pretty much like what you seen in the links I posted but there will be minor changes on the rudder and elevator.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Okay last question before I start.

What wingspan should it be? The current one on the swaps is 96 inches I think. It's easy to scale the plane but what size does everyone want it to be. By that I mean stay with 96 inches or maybe move to 120 inches. Larger planes fly better but when the plane gets larger than 96 it gets pretty large for some of the fields. SO.. how about a vote.. 96 or 120. I have a modified verion of the Sod Farm I always fly at so size isn't a problem for me. I can live with either size.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:46 PM

I'd vote 120 as I'd like it to be bigger with it's physics as normal. Anyway it would make it more different than the current one on swap.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: