Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
i like the 120 size as well , some nice videos on the OX5 running technoid
Old 07-26-2017, 02:52 PM

I vote for 120", and not just because bigger is better....

The Jenny had a pretty wide span (43 feet), compared to others of her era like a Travel Air, Moth, or a Stearman. Even at 120 inches she is under a full 1/4 scale (131 inches = 1/4 size)

So I vote for 120

(but I will immediately re-scale her to 25 and 50% for my own diabloical needs)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Okay last question before I start.

What wingspan should it be? The current one on the swaps is 96 inches I think. It's easy to scale the plane but what size does everyone want it to be. By that I mean stay with 96 inches or maybe move to 120 inches. Larger planes fly better but when the plane gets larger than 96 it gets pretty large for some of the fields. SO.. how about a vote.. 96 or 120. I have a modified verion of the Sod Farm I always fly at so size isn't a problem for me. I can live with either size.
I vote for an even quarter scale. Or even third scale
Old 07-26-2017, 05:56 PM

Thanks guys. It looks like the majority wants 120 so that's what I'll go with. I created the fuselage today and sized it for the top and side views then selected each bulkhead one at a time and looked straight back through the fuselage and adjusted the curve of the fuselage to match the bulkhead on the plan. It seems to be okay so I'll create the hstab and vstab so I can see what they look like together. I'll use solid balsa parts and add a touch of airfoil to them later. There's not much airfoil on them according to the plans but later I'll add what the plan shows to each one. The plan shows a bit of airfoil for the hstab so I'll match the vstab to that. Here's a picture of where I stopped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtiss JN-4D Jenny 01.jpg (182.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 PM

Awesome!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 PM

Nice! Its good to see some new scale planes being made!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 AM

I did a bit more work on the Jenny tonight got the hstab and vstab modeled, it's starting to look like something. But lots and lots to do. Here's a render for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtiss JN-4D Jenny 02.jpg (273.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Looks good. Something I noticed was that the line on the fuselage between the flat side and the round tops looks bent. Also it you plan on going crazy with detail, some of the rings on the fuselage may need to be consolidated or deleted.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:41 AM

Sitting back and watching. It's nice to see other designers jumping in to help with suggestions.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Looks good. Something I noticed was that the line on the fuselage between the flat side and the round tops looks bent. Also it you plan on going crazy with detail, some of the rings on the fuselage may need to be consolidated or deleted.
I knew something was up when I posted the update last night, but it was 3:21 am so I needed to stop and get some sleep. I looked at it this morning and the last couple of bulk heads were too high. What happened is when I selected each bulkhead and then turned the fuselage so I could align the top with the bulkheads on the plan the last two bulkheads were too high. When I did that I tried to get them close as I went but knew I'd have to go back and fix them later. Anyway I fixed them this morning and will post a picture right down the line with the hstab on that side removed. There was also some distortion in the render angle too because even though this one is perfectly straight when I tried the same render angle I did last night it still looked off just a bit, not like before but not perfectly straight like this angle shows. Anyway it's fixed. Thanks for reminding me about it.

As for the rings on the fuselage (bulkheads) they're all at points where the fuselage outline changes on the bottom so it seems they're all needed. And they all align with the bulkheads on the plan. And as you can see from the segments on the hstab and vstab I used a lot of them to get a really nice curve. I could have used less but I like the smooth curve I get this way. But it sure would be nice if RF 7.5 had a 40k limit instead of 27k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtiss JN-4D Jenny 03.jpg (131.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by technoid; 07-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Wow, that is just way too effing cool for me to even comprehend!!

Thanks for putting in the effort I cant wait to see more of it!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:47 PM

I added the knot at the end of the fuselage and the bottom braces. Everything I post for now is early and may need tweaks after I rough in the plane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtiss JN-4D Jenny 04.jpg (194.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Curtiss JN-4D Jenny 05.jpg (176.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Wow, thats a nice big smooth radius on the rudder....

Now if I could just figure out how to use the Path Tool to match it when shading the struts underneath the skin....gotta up my game!

I'm a "free-hander" with the airbrush.... paint a bit, export/look, erase, paint some more...there are more"precise" methods with Gimp I have to start using.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Wow, thats a nice big smooth radius on the rudder....

Now if I could just figure out how to use the Path Tool to match it when shading the struts underneath the skin....gotta up my game!

I'm a "free-hander" with the airbrush.... paint a bit, export/look, erase, paint some more...there are more"precise" methods with Gimp I have to start using.
Thanks I use a lot of segments on curves to make them smooth. Just so you know. When you see square edges on everything I always wait till the end just before mapping the plane to add a chamfer on the parts that way I can resize anytime I want. But once you add the chamfer to round out the part it messes up when you try to resize it again. So I learned early on to wait until the end to round off the edges of parts.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks I use a lot of segments on curves to make them smooth. Just so you know. When you see square edges on everything I always wait till the end just before mapping the plane to add a chamfer on the parts that way I can resize anytime I want. But once you add the chamfer to round out the part it messes up when you try to resize it again. So I learned early on to wait until the end to round off the edges of parts.
Watch the triangle counts with the roundness your using.

Edit Also I would assume max has a circurlarize function I use it in wings all the time on line segments.

Last edited by legoman; 07-27-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: