Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 PM

Phoenix doesn't come close to RF7.5 in many ways. But I always have older laptops around I refurbish and donate to charity. I keep a couple at work and there I run Phoenix as it will work on older stuff better. (Plus RF is a one computer license only).

It would be nice if RF-X did the same and added support for generic USB input controllers as long as you had the legit dongle/Interlink "radio" plugged in with them. I don't expect any updates or changes to 7.5 again ever. I imagine if they had those people around who worked on and developed that engine RF-X would not have relied on a common gaming one at it's core.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 08-22-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:43 PM

I'd tend to disagree that using a game engine was generally a bad idea. I would suppose that a proper game engine that lets you decide which of its functions you want to use would be a a great help to not waste resources just for the technical stuff (driver support, optimizing, messing around with details of shader setup etc.).
If the game engine makes it impossible to do stuff like photofields or a proper airfield editor, then it's simply the wrong engine ... or it just serves as excuse.
Honestly my impression is that the pre-X engine was not the main problem but blurry textures, simple models (not the planes but for the airports etc.), lack of proper normal maps etc. Just exchanging the engine won't fix that.

And even if I repeat myself: I still think that a full blown 3D airport editor (where you can fully edit the heightmap with proper shaders for grass, sand, rock,k water etc.) would be a great thing to have and might bring the community back to life again. Actually I think the same about a real vehicle editor like in Simple Planes...
Old 08-30-2017, 05:02 PM

As a side note: even Reflex XTR2 supports USB controllers since the latest update.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: