Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM

Eberhart SE-5E Sport

My next project will be a sport plane based on the Eberhart SE-5E. I don't like the way planes fly with dihedral so this will be a sport plane very similar to the real plane except for the missing dihedral, a bit more wing area, and a slightly revised radiator. So please give me a little space on those and the rest will be fine because I plan to model it close to the real plane otherwise. So if you hold your mouth just right, and squint your eyes.. it'll look perfect.

I don't know when I'll start working on it but I wanted to start a build thread and let you know where I'm headed. I enjoyed modeling the Jenny so I thought another bi-plane might be nice and even though this is a British design it was built in the U.S. by Curtiss and the Eberhart Steel Products Company and was used as an Advanced trainer by the Army Air Corps. I have two sets of plans for the British Royal Aircraft Factory SE-5 from outterzone.co.uk which is the same plane so that's what I'll use to model it.

Here's some information from the National Museum of the US Air Force website.

Quote:
When the United States entered World War I, plans called for American manufacturers to mass produce aircraft already in use by the Allies. One of the fighters chosen was the British S.E.5A, designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory. The prototype S.E.5 first flew in December 1916, and deliveries of an improved version, the S.E.5A, started in March 1917. Noted for its strength, stability and speed, the S.E.5A rivaled the Sopwith Camel as the most successful British fighter of WWI.

For its pilots already in Europe, the American Expeditionary Force bought 38 S.E.5A aircraft from Great Britain, and in the United States, the government placed orders with the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motors Corp. The Armistice halted production after Curtiss had completed only one S.E.5A, but 56 more were constructed from components shipped from Great Britain. In 1922 the Eberhart Steel Products Co. received a contract to rebuild 50 of the Army Air Service's S.E.5A aircraft using 180-hp Wright-Hispano "E" engines. The Army Air Service used these aircraft, redesignated the SE-5E, for advanced training.

The museum acquired the SE-5E through a donation by the estate of Lt. Col. William C. Lambert, USAF Ret. A WWI ace with 21.5 victories, Lambert flew the S.E.5A as an American member of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Air Force. The Air Force Museum Foundation also helped buy the aircraft. It is painted to represent an SE-5E of the 18th Headquarters Squadron, Bolling Field, Washington, D.C., in 1925.

TECHNICAL NOTES:
Armament: None
Engine: Wright-Hispano "E" of 180 hp
Maximum speed: 122 mph
Range: 225 miles
Ceiling: 17,000 ft.
Span: 26 ft. 9 in.
Length: 20 ft. 11 in.
Height: 9 ft. 6 in.
Weight: 2,100 lbs.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Vis...berhart-se-5e/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eberhart SE-5E Sport 01.jpg (203.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Eberhart SE-5E Sport 02.jpg (227.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Eberhart SE-5E Sport 03.jpg (265.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
very nice i like this one already technoid
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 PM

I`ll have to agree with Doug, good choice, hopefully I can find a CS that floats my boat, and that I can find more and/or better graphics of. Not having much luck with the Jenny, I`ve seen some good flying circus ones, just can`t find any descent pics. of the graphics.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:13 AM

I knew you couldn't stop modeling on the computer. I think we need an intervention to get you putting that ARF kit together... hmmm

It's a nice short little biplane btw.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I knew you couldn't stop modeling on the computer. I think we need an intervention to get you putting that ARF kit together... hmmm

It's a nice short little biplane btw.
Definitely smaller than the Jenny here's the specs on them. I haven't started modeling yet, just research.

Quote:
Eberhart SE-5E

Wingspan: 26 ft. 9 in.
Length: 20 ft. 11 in.
Height: 9 ft. 6 in.
Empty weight: 1,410 lb

Curtiss Jenny

Wingspan: 43 ft 7
Length: 27 ft 4 in
Height: 9 ft 10 in
Empty weight: 1,390 lb
Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM

How about a flight video ?

https://www.facebook.com/SywellAerod...9796690364238/
Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Cool video thanks for the link.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM

That's a lot of dihedral (curve) in that small wing. Then again it was a trainer.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That's a lot of dihedral (curve) in that small wing. Then again it was a trainer.
That's definitely a lot of dihedral but my sport version won't have any so it should be a nice flying RC plane. I don't like flying planes with dihedral they sort of wallow their way though the sky. There's a time and place for self righting planes but not while I'm trying to enjoy flying my RC plane. It will change the look of the plane a lot but it's a necessary change to make it a better sport plane. The Eberhart SE-5E was the US version of the British Royal Aircraft SE-5 so there were lots of that plane built as fighters during WW I. But the US version sort of caught the end of the war and was used for advanced training so it didn't have armament.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 PM

A decent 3 view if you want it. https://www.the-blueprints.com/bluep...8/view/s_e_5a/
Old 09-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Thanks I just grabbed the full size version it looks great. I just finished cutting up a Top Flite plan and created a 3ds template but this will come in handy too. You can't ever get too much reference material.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:59 PM

The Eberhart SE-5E is the US version of the British SE-5 so I downloaded two plans for it and ended up using the Top Flite S.E.5a plan. I just finished cutting it up and creating a template to use in 3ds max, the real template is 2700x1000 but I reduced it to 1280 to post. I also grabbed the 3 view legoman posted a link to so I should be all set to start working on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eberhart SE-5E Sport 04.jpg (133.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by technoid; 09-20-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: update template picture
Old 09-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
nice plans to work from , sure was a small biplane i didn't realize it was that small what scale were you thinking of ?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
nice plans to work from , sure was a small biplane i didn't realize it was that small what scale were you thinking of ?
Yeah it's much smaller than the Jenny so I was thinking 33% which will still make it smaller than the Jenny I modeled but nice sized.

Last edited by technoid; 09-20-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Well with only one seat you will have more triangles to design with. So why do I know it will still push near the 27K limit again ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: