Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Any Progress out here in RFX land?

Hi Guys,
It's been almost a year and I get the impression there has been no real
progress with RFX and it seems they are keeping you in the dark on what's coming (or not coming).

I also get the impression there are may be only 5-10 RFX fans here that
Kick a few messages off each other now & then.
Not a lot of people have "bought in" to RFX.
NONE of the local hobby stores have a demo kiosk like they used to always have with older versions of RealFlight.

Not been around here in awhile have I missed anything big or cool?

RF7.5 is still my GOTO for a multiuser RC Helicopter practice experience.

A couple of other products have made huge progress in RC Heli realism/physics/flight experience and have surpassed RF for this purpose but nobody has even remotely touched the multiplayer experience
that is in RF 7.5.

If RFX stays around it looks like it would be or may become a fun cool VR/Drone FPV exploring experience.
Even better if it could be multiplayer but I've not seen any updates or info
on this since release and it's been a long time now.
I'm keeping tabs. and interested.
*I know easy to sit here and criticize right?
I've offered to help out a number of times in the past and I have never even an ack, or thanks but no thanks.

Cheers!

Steve

Last edited by N8LBV; 09-28-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:07 AM

If like many companies now it's backed by an investment group they aren't going to put much in if the return is dismal. They'd rather have that money making more somewhere else.

You can see that in Horizon Hobby now ... especially the Blade heli line. Once something drops below a certain profit margin/sales level it gets discounted to clear inventory and then discontinued fast. Along then comes the next short term money maker. Fortunately much of what they do re-uses parts from the past. So keeping something flying isn't a problem even if it's many years old.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 AM

Actually, all the "big" simulators from some years ago are somewhat dead. Aerofly RC 7 got the last update in autumn 2016 and Phoenix didn't get any official updates since 2015 (unofficial v6.x update from 2016 was just removed from the FTP server). Only Reflex XTR2 actually got minor some updates recently (after getting only one in the year 2016) but you can't really buy it anymore (some dealers have old new stock but officially it's no longer available) and the website looks abandoned.
If there wasn't AccuRC and neXt, I'd say the simulation market has pretty much collapsed. As both focus on helis, you can still say that for fixed wing RC simulators.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:04 PM

I had high hopes for RFX but I've decided that it was just money poorly spent.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Since we are almost there, I would say wait another month. Some people are having a good time with X. I spend more on airplane parts than I have ever spent on Real Flight. I am sure that they will get it all sorted out and soon.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
Actually, all the "big" simulators from some years ago are somewhat dead. Aerofly RC 7 got the last update in autumn 2016 and Phoenix didn't get any official updates since 2015 (unofficial v6.x update from 2016 was just removed from the FTP server). Only Reflex XTR2 actually got minor some updates recently (after getting only one in the year 2016) but you can't really buy it anymore (some dealers have old new stock but officially it's no longer available) and the website looks abandoned.
If there wasn't AccuRC and neXt, I'd say the simulation market has pretty much collapsed. As both focus on helis, you can still say that for fixed wing RC simulators.
Well said sir! Well said! Forgot to mention Heli-X they come out with a new model every year or so

Last edited by jasond; 10-02-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-04-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
Actually, all the "big" simulators from some years ago are somewhat dead.
Yeah, I think Knife Edge slowly killed them all by having a genuinely better product.

As to why RF-X doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I think it's a combination of things. Not the least of which is the fact that while RF-X looks great, it lacks almost all of the features that made the previous RealFlights so amazing. It's hard to keep us diehard fans engaged with the new visuals when so many other things we're used to aren't available. I have RF-X but almost never use it, simply because my RF7.5 gets the job done without sacrificing anything.

I also suspect that the market for RC flight simulation is on a downward slope and may possibly never recover. I think the sudden ubiquity of cheap mulitirotor UAVs at toy stores is largely to blame for this. RealFlight used to be almost a requirement for someone wanting to get into the RC hobby in order to avoid countless hundreds of dollars' expenses crashing at the field. And now you can just go to a damned WalMart and pick up some crappy $30 thing that connects to your phone and flies itself. No training tool required. No skill required.

The fact that I'm bitching about stuff like this makes me feel old.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Guys I was just told by Doug that RF-8 has been announced. Take a look.

http://www.realflight.com/products/r...einfo=features
Old 10-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Administrator

I just posted an announcement! I still need to write the follow-up posts below it, but those are coming shortly.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:50 PM

Wow. Weird move. Is this the end of RFX or just another step to collect money to continue with RFX?
Honestly the upgrades seem minor. Even in the trailer, the same old blurry textures are visible we all know since G3. At least it seems to allow using game controllers.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:14 PM

Gosh, the ink pixels are not even dry before complaints.

The guys at Knife Edge have been slaving over two steaming cauldrons all year. Time for the harvest moon and the beer garden festival. Hoist one or forty for the wonderment of glad tidings from Broom Hilda and the computer gods on high.

This announcement answered many questions and begs many more.... to begin let's just say REALFLIGHT is not dead and very much alive in two flavors. Long live the king.

Oh and for a few of you..."I told you so".. (sorry I couldn't resist)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:17 AM
Banned

Realflight you have to be kidding.

12oclock, you told us WHAT??? Oh, that a update is coming in the future, GENIUS!! Oh wait, it must have been the new release that you were NOT talking about, please show me your post about the upcoming Realflight 8 (Realflight 7.5 again). You told us nothing that we didn't already know. The funny part is, you were the one going on and on about how people (Geezers) with their ancient hardware need to realize that the future is here and cant expect Realflight keep releasing the same old with a couple tweaks. RF 8 is exactly that, basically them having no new ideas or should I say ideas that worked so they just fired up 7.5 again. Boy they are on top of it for sure.

As for Realflight they can shove the Realflight 8 right up their virtual backsides. Either fix the piece of garbage you gave to us from last year and stop whoring for more money with a retread of RF7. Shame on you. Better yet, as 12oclock says, if you are doing so well buy back or let us swap out all of this useless software that you bamboozled everyone into buying with fake system specs and horrific performance.

I cant wait for RF9 uhhh err I mean Realflight G5.

Last edited by viperdriver5150; 10-05-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 AM

I am still planning a hardware upgrade, geezer! It is not going to be cheap, so with RF8, I can stall a bit longer. I don’t like that solution. My group has a big investment in RF7.5.

All I heard was death of RF-X... I don’t think some of you will ever be happy no matter what they do.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM

No complaints on my side. I am in and I'll buy it as soon as it is available.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Thumbs down RFX users get screwed again!

I feel very deceived by RFX and knife edge. Owned 7.5 and RFX was suppose to be the high tech replacement and the future of 7.5. In the end (and I have 2 copies of this simulator for my Wife and I), rfx had none of the features that made 7.5 fun.

Now Knife edge comes out with 8.0, a revamped 7.5 and it will work with vr googles. What about us that brought into RFX, why can't we get updates to use vr googles when RFX was suppose to be the new future and the best of knifedge simulators?

I think they have some balls to come out with 8.0 and provide no updates to us RFX users! RFX users should get a free update (or down grade, depends how you look at it). Do you really expect us that purchased RFX to shell out more money to get something that RFX was suppose to be!

If an update does not come out to allow us to use vr googles with RFX it will be the last time I purchase a knife edge product. And I will definitely go to every RC forum and state how us RFX users have been cheated!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: