Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
You don't even deserve a response. KE has done nothing wrong. Nothing.
RIGHT! THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG AT ALL!

Lets go down the list:

Listed minimum and optimal hardware specs that are so far off its just plain embarrassing. I have equal or above optimal in all but one category and it sucks...period! One digital landscape of a desert after another with a couple odds and ends thrown on for visual eye candy and I use that term loosely.

After realizing the above they have released 2 whopping updates in a YEAR that made it possible to run on a higher end computer with a decent frame rate if you use a grass field with nothing on it. Makes it so enjoyable to fly but at least you can do multiplayer to keep it interesting and all of the NEW high definition photo-fields.

Having a total of 60 aircraft with absolutely nothing new or exciting even though this is the new state of the art simulator and lets not forget the super stunning light reflections that are so over the top it is just stupid.

Now the grand finale. REALFLIGHT 7.75!! Released 1 year after the simulator that was supposed to be the future and instead of fully supporting the future of simulators they add a couple features to the GEEZER version and call it 7.75 and I refuse to use the proper name as that just gives KnifeEdge a little more power to give us RFX owners a square kick to the testicles.

12oclock loves knifeedge which is clear and that is his right, but if I were guessing, he is the same person that went on and on about Windows ME and how the future is now. That is until Windows XP came along.

I will give KnifeEdge their proper due when they show us RFX owners they actually care even a little.

Last edited by viperdriver5150; 10-10-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
You don't even deserve a response. KE has done nothing wrong. Nothing.
Thank you for the Bump and Response. Yes, WE all Know KE got the System Requirements Wrong!! this is a Fact that Most of us have agreed on!

So stop passing out false info.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdriver5150 View Post

Listed minimum and optimal hardware specs that are so far off its just plain embarrassing. I have equal or above optimal in all but one category and it sucks...period! One digital landscape of a desert after another with a couple odds and ends thrown on for visual eye candy and I use that term loosely.
Correct, and thank you for an accurate post.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Knife Edge Software Owner

Quote:
Listed minimum and optimal hardware specs that are so far off its just plain embarrassing. I have equal or above optimal in all but one category and it sucks...period!
Viperdriver,

What screen resolution are you trying? I found a post from you that has your system configuration but it just says you are running at "1080p". What is the horizontal resolution of your monitor?

Jim
Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
12oclock loves knifeedge (sp) which is clear and that is his right, but if I were guessing, he is the same person that went on and on about Windows ME and how the future is now. That is until Windows XP came along.
Know what? I am one of those people that did not have a problem with ME, WinVista, Win8 or the other bad releases. I conform to the software world around me.

I was having trouble with RF-X too. Turning down the resolution made the product usable for me on my less than optimum systems. I could see the writing on the wall. Real Flight had to jump to keep up and get to the next generation of flight simulation. Mine works for me and it could work for you as well, if you do what you need to do to get it running. No you want to ....

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 10-11-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
X requires a good card to get good graphics.
WRONG! X requires a GREAT video card to get anything resembling reasonable performance. But I must admit, KE/Tower were nice enough to allow me to un-register my copy of X and return it for full credit, even though I had opened & installed it. I bought the 7.5 software only upgrade to replace it. And I'll probably buy the s/w only version of 8. As a relatively recent 7.5 purchaser, I hope we'll get some sort of "recent purchaser" rebate.

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-11-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
Viperdriver,

What screen resolution are you trying? I found a post from you that has your system configuration but it just says you are running at "1080p". What is the horizontal resolution of your monitor?

Jim
Odd question. By definition, 1080p is 1920x1080. If that's not his resolution, it's not 1080p.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Viperdriver,

Jim
Jim

Trying 1080p. Its on a curved Samsung 55" 4K 16x9 ratio. At that resolution it has some stuttering and you can see the frame rate is not even close to fluid.

Last edited by viperdriver5150; 10-11-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:10 PM

1920 x 1200 maybe? I think that is the question... either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 PM

1080p is 1080, not 1200. 1200 would have to be 1200p if it used numbers, not 1080p. The correct terminology for 1920x1200 is WUXGA.
Attached Images
File Type: png resolution.png (15.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 PM
Knife Edge Software Owner

Quote:
Jim

Trying 1080p. Its on a curved Samsung 55" 4K 16x9 ratio. At that resolution it has some stuttering and you can see the frame rate is not even close to fluid.
Are you able to get an acceptable frame rate if you lower the resolution?

Jim
Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Jim
Jim, you're a smart guy and I'm sure you know 1080p is a low resolution these days RF-X needs to be able to run at a solid 60 fps at 1080p with a reasonable graphics card and a next to the top Intel processor, any less is unacceptable in almost any one's eyes. The spec's say a GTX1060 is optimum at what resolution is it optimum? These days 1080p is pretty much the minimum resolution anything should be spec'd at, it's pretty much the lowest resolution a monitor runs at (native).
Old 10-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:

Jim
1280 x 720 is decent but looks like garbage.

Frame rate in 4k is about 16-22

1920 x 1080 is below average as the background landscape looks very odd trees popping in and out with some very blurry and just look very odd. Of course the random stutters and such to go along with it and when flying helis it makes it darn near impossible to practice 3d.

Now I can run Battlefield 4 / Call of Duty maxed in 1080p buttery smooth so I just don't get it.

Also, do you have any intentions of adding HD photo fields to RFX and possibly giving us the helicopter sounds it should have had like your newer program is getting.

Last edited by viperdriver5150; 10-12-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
1080p is 1080, not 1200. 1200 would have to be 1200p if it used numbers, not 1080p. The correct terminology for 1920x1200 is WUXGA.
I am quite aware of that. Changing settings was for testing. Some times components can be hindering each other and computer specific components work a bit better than video world components.

Trees popping and disappearing seems like a sync issue. The component up scaling 1080p signal to 4K might not be keeping up. This both the the greatness and skurge of the WinTel landscape.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 10-12-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 AM

One of the problems I've noticed with popping trees is what appears to be 2d sprites in RF-X. Do this. While approaching or going by trees look close at them, some times you'll see a much darker looking tree as you move towards it and then it will quickly turn lighter and less full looking. After you watch this closely you'll see what I mean, those are 2d sprites small pictures used to reduce the graphics load. Then as you get closer they'll change to a 3d object and you'll notice a pop as they change from a 2d sprint to a 3d object. (ugly looking) There's also popping issues caused by mipmap changes that make the mountain cliffs vibrate, for lack of a better word. This used to happen in lots of 3d games but not so much now days. But RF 7.5 has it too, this could be fixed with lots of work optimizing when and how drastic the mipmap levels are. I think they would do well by contracting a top level 3d game engineer to come in and go through their code and optimize it and recommend needed changes. I can't fault them for not being top tier game developers but that's what's needed to fix these types of issues.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: