Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

View Poll Results: Do you want a digital release?
Yes 25 62.50%
No 12 30.00%
No opinion 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianappjj View Post
You apparently haven't done a quick ebay search. I don't know whether they reverse engineer or have a thief in the Chinese plant where the hardware is made but they are out there. It is pretty hard, I would say impossible, to pirate from steam.
Actually steam releases are very easy to pirate, most current game torrents are steam
Installations with cracked steam dlls
Old 10-29-2017, 04:16 PM

Don't programs need to check in with steam first and if you don't have it in your account it stops at the load? I know there is an offline mode but they still load steam first and I thought they had to check for a legit library entry first.
Either way hardware hacks are so openly sold many people don't even know they are from thieves.

Last edited by Brianappjj; 10-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianappjj View Post
Don't programs need to check in with steam first and if you don't have it in your account it stops at the load? I know there is an offline mode but they still load steam first and I thought they had to check for a legit library entry first.
Either way hardware hacks are so openly sold many people don't even know they are from thieves.

no, because with the cracked dlls it allows the program to run without logging into steam. The actual normal install of steam is never run, just the cracked one that works with the game.

All copy protection is pretty much useless at this point. The advantage with RF is that since its niche product it doesn't come up on the radar to software pirates to begin with. I imagine they are much more concerned about cracking the latest assassins creed than RF.

I understand why they protect it, it does keep casual piracy from happening.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Funny thing about piracy. I purchased a set of cables to connect my TX to my interlink from a well known Chinese website for RC parts. I only wanted the cables, and with the cables was a little USB adapter, and a CD with a cracked Chinese version of Realflight 4.5 and the Phoenix sim! all for the price of 3 dollars. The adapter and the CD were not in the parts description of what I was purchasing, I guess it was a freebie. I still have the Adapter,and the cracked version of the software in a drawer. I used the cable for a couple years as it worked flawlessly on my interlink.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:29 PM

There is now a Digital Download available for the software on the Tower Hobbies website. I purchased it, but haven't received the link and Serial Number yet.

I'm curious how the rebate will work since there is no real invoice or box to take a UPC code from. I plan to submit a copy of the email (probably blank the serial number out for the new version), and see what happens. Tower had the rebate shown on the page so I expect they need to honor it.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Ah, it's up! We knew that was coming but didn't know exactly when. I suspect that will be an attractive option for a lot of people.

I can't speak for them, but I don't see why they wouldn't honor that $20 merchandise voucher option for a digital sale from Tower. If you have any questions, definitely talk to them about it.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
Ah, it's up! We knew that was coming but didn't know exactly when. I suspect that will be an attractive option for a lot of people.

I can't speak for them, but I don't see why they wouldn't honor that $20 merchandise voucher option for a digital sale from Tower. If you have any questions, definitely talk to them about it.
Yes! This is great! Too bad I am not eligible for the rebate because I live in Sweden, but it is significantly cheaper than buying it physical from a local hobby store, though ($99.99 Vs. $180,59), so for that I am still happy.

Last edited by kikasshes; 11-25-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post

That is one way to do it. Have the distributor/retailer handle the online distribution. They still get their cut either way so they stay happy. I would have preferred a more tested online distribution channel, such as steam, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: